10-18-09, 01:22 AM   #1
Benuz
A Fallenroot Satyr
Smile i have a dream mod - "keyboard keybind"

Consider the game Maple Story, i know its a really lame game, i dont play it as well, but, please read on.
I noticed their game interface, they have a distinct unique way for the key settings. unlike WoW, they have the ACTUAL KEYBOARD in the interface, as seen in the screenshot below. So, therefore, i came up with the similar idea, how about we apply this thing into WoW? Im sure it is going to be so useful, and will maximize the true gaming experience. (I apologize for such bad photoshopping.)
~

~

~

~

I've been playing wow for a couple years, loved it so much, i met a lot friends and i enjoyed my life there. But, unfortunately, my work is being a ***** to me. i really need the money, so i have to give up a list of things one by one, and quitting wow is getting closer to the top of the list...

I have absolutely nothing about coding on WoW mods, to all wow modders, please consider my idea, im sure it will work out really well...

Truly yours.
Thanks in advance.
10-18-09, 02:33 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin

Click image.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
10-18-09, 04:40 AM   #3
Benuz
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thanks Cairenn, but...
it doesnt let me bind skills...
10-18-09, 03:35 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you just want your action bars laid out like your keyboard, you can use any of the action bar addons to change your bar layout and set it up yourself.

But it's not quite clear what your actual intention is for the mod your are requesting. Keybindings interface? Action bar?, etc.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-18-09, 04:27 PM   #5
Praesagus
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sounds to me that (s)he is asking for a key binding addon that will show a keyboard for the configuration and allow you to drag and drop your spells to the keyboard keys to assign the keybindings directly to that spellbook item/macro or bag item. Basically something like a combo of the addon(s) that allow you to assign bindings directly in the spellbook and the keyboard addon in this thread.
10-18-09, 04:30 PM   #6
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Keybindings interface?
This. Look at the Maple Story example he provided. Instead of a long list of keys and their associated binding, like WoW currently has, MS shows you your physical keyboard so you see how everything is laid out while you're working on it.

I too, think this is a fantastic idea. Definitely better for more visually oriented people.
10-18-09, 06:02 PM   #7
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Originally Posted by sakurakira View Post
This. Look at the Maple Story example he provided. Instead of a long list of keys and their associated binding, like WoW currently has, MS shows you your physical keyboard so you see how everything is laid out while you're working on it.

I too, think this is a fantastic idea. Definitely better for more visually oriented people.
I have to agree. Even though apple keyboards are a little different then normal american keyboards.
10-18-09, 07:00 PM   #8
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
Even though apple keyboards are a little different then normal american keyboards.
Barely, they have F13-F19 and an eject button.
Else but that its the same.
10-18-09, 07:34 PM   #9
Akryn
A Firelord
Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Barely, they have F13-F19 and an eject button.
Else but that its the same.
They also have the [super/windows/command] key and alt keys reversed. I actually use a Mac keyboard on my gaming machine because that arrangement makes it easier to hit the modifiers.
10-18-09, 08:04 PM   #10
Benuz
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
If you just want your action bars laid out like your keyboard, you can use any of the action bar addons to change your bar layout and set it up yourself.

But it's not quite clear what your actual intention is for the mod your are requesting. Keybindings interface? Action bar?, etc.
My deepest apologize, Seerah. I should had make it clear and state that I am requesting for a new keybinding interface as I described above in the original post...

Here are the major features that I had thought of:
  • The layout is a virtual keyboard
  • Allows drag and drop of the skills and macros to the virtual keyboard
  • Tabs are available at the bottom for various key combination (eg Ctrl, Ctrl + Alt... etc) and it will bring u to a new page and allow u to combine with another key (eg Ctrl + R, Ctrl + Alt + R)

Some other features that could make it even more user-friendly would be...
  • Support various keyboard models layouts
    As seen from the On-Screen Keyboard from Microsoft Windows, there are
    Standard
    Enchanced (With NumPad)
    101 Keys
    102 Keys
    106 Keys
    Hopefully supports Mac computer keyboards if possible

• Also allow keybinding for regular game keys such as jump, sit, access to character details page, skill book, talent page, map... etc

Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
They also have the [super/windows/command] key and alt keys reversed. I actually use a Mac keyboard on my gaming machine because that arrangement makes it easier to hit the modifiers.
For the other keys in Mac computers such as the [super/windows/command] as Akryn mentioned (lol sorry i dont have a mac T_T), if they cannot be used to keybind, we might have come to a decision that we have to neglect them, or we develop this add-on only for windows...

Any suggestions...?
What do u think...?
Is this possible to become reality?

Last edited by Benuz : 10-18-09 at 08:09 PM.
10-18-09, 09:34 PM   #11
zero-kill
A Firelord

I remember hearing Blizzard wanting to have this sort of layout from way back in Vanilla, but it never took off. I second the notion that it would give us a better idea of what is happening where!
10-20-09, 06:21 PM   #12
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Benuz View Post
For the other keys in Mac computers such as the [super/windows/command] as Akryn mentioned (lol sorry i dont have a mac T_T)
The Apple/Command key on an Apple keyboard is the same as the Windows key on a windows keyboard. I use a PC keyboard on my Mac, so when I want to hit Command-M to go to windowed mode, I hit Windows-M.

The only real difference is the additional F keys and the swapping of Alt/Option and Windows/Apple.
02-08-11, 09:00 AM   #13
Nanky
A Defias Bandit
Keybind for mac keyboards

Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
The Apple/Command key on an Apple keyboard is the same as the Windows key on a windows keyboard. I use a PC keyboard on my Mac, so when I want to hit Command-M to go to windowed mode, I hit Windows-M.

The only real difference is the additional F keys and the swapping of Alt/Option and Windows/Apple.

Not true!

I use this keyboard on my iMac:

(dont mention the "fn" button. Its just a modifier for the missing numpad options)

I used about 4 binding addons now (bindpad, keybind, bt4 etc..) and so far i wasnt able to bind CAPS, ALT, SHIFT, CTRL or CMD. I know it worked on windows cause i used them as regular buttons in my tanking routine on windows about 5 months ago.

So there must be some differences (at least) inside of wow to address this buttons cause wow itself can bind them as modifiers i think.. but no addon i tested so far.

I have no idea about coding/modding but maybe someone on a mac could find out how to get a hold of these buttons and build a mac-ready version of this addon :-)????
02-08-11, 10:57 AM   #14
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
you can't bind to shift/alt/ctrl/apple anyway, so does it matter where they are?

just list them in a modifier stack or something. since they're toggles and not actually bindable, i think it's reasonable to remove them from the virtual keyboard layout.

something very important with all of this is handling the ability to drag the normal keybindings to these keys. you can't just do skills and spells and items. you need to have access to the default keybinds plus whatever additional keybinds other mods might add. they should be grouped up appropriately and draggable.
02-08-11, 12:52 PM   #15
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Keep in mind that in EU alone there are at least a dozen different keyboard layouts depending on where you live. Myself, I use a Belgian keyboard that is different from a French keyboard, a Swedish keyboard, a German keyboard, etc.

I agree that such an addon would be great but if it doesn't have the exact layout of the keyboard you're using it will just confuse you even more.
02-08-11, 01:31 PM   #16
F00666
A Kobold Labourer

Le nécro royale, n'est-ce pas?
02-09-11, 07:28 PM   #17
kraftman
A Theradrim Guardian
Check out my addon "keybind" - it seems to do just what you want. Ill be adding different keyboard layouts in soon too. (can't link it cos I'm on my phone)
02-09-11, 07:31 PM   #18
Nanky
A Defias Bandit
Bring it back then!

Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
you can't bind to shift/alt/ctrl/apple anyway, so does it matter where they are?
Ive notized that since i started wow again in 4.0 now.

But like 4 patches ago it worked. I actually bound: CAPS=macro (target switching) and SHIFT=Taunt via BindPad
(The caps and shift functionality remained the same)

That leads me to a question!: Why isnt it possible anymore?

I mean.. in combat there are 3-4 big unused buttons at the left of my hand! Id donate money to the guy who creates an addon to bind them (and includes a function to enable them infight or with harm-target) <3

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » i have a dream mod - "keyboard keybind"