08-29-11, 10:49 AM   #1
Kkthnx
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Putting skins into the interface folder is bannable

If this is bannable why do we let ppl upload the work here.. I heard that downloading addons like

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...48-AI-Art.html

you can be perma banned for putting those into the interface folder.

So now it stands.. Is there a way some1 can clean this pack up and have it properly put into the addons folder? This way its pure legit and not putting people on the line everyday to being banned...

Last edited by Haleth : 08-29-11 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Language

08-29-11, 10:50 AM   #2
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Changing in-game models is bannable, not UI art.

"The truth is like sunlight: people used to think it was good for you."

08-29-11, 11:22 AM   #3
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

/facepalm

Here we go again.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

08-29-11, 11:49 AM   #4
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
It's not against the rules. As others have said, modifying the game files is. Anything that happens within the Interface folder is perfectly allowed.

08-29-11, 04:35 PM   #5
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If blizzard didnt like it they would have removed it a long time ago,
just look at how fast AVR got blocked.

08-30-11, 09:57 AM   #6
Taryble
A Molten Giant

If Blizzard didn't like it, they'd remove the ability for the overrides to work. They did it, in fact, with cursor modifications in earyl Wrath - around patch 3.0.8 or 3.0.6, cursor replacements just stopped working.

Artwork replacements for UI panels should be considered allowed until Blizzard makes them not work anymore. :>

09-01-11, 06:07 AM   #7
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
It's not against the rules. As others have said, modifying the game files is. Anything that happens within the Interface folder is perfectly allowed.
replacing "...\World of Warcraft\Data\Sound" with empty sound files seams to be allowed to!

09-02-11, 04:42 AM   #8
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
replacing "...\World of Warcraft\Data\Sound" with empty sound files seams to be allowed to!
I've done that millions of times.

09-02-11, 09:02 AM   #9
Taryble
A Molten Giant

And of course, everybody does font overrides in the "Fonts" folder... :>

09-02-11, 09:30 AM   #10
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've even seen people override the default Unit Frames using Lua and/or XML...

/me ducks

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

09-02-11, 11:41 AM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
As the others have mentioned, you are confusing two different things. Changing in-game models (making rogues all look like ninjas, or trolls look like frogs, or dungeon walls invisible, or spiders look like rabbits, or female Night Elves look naked, etc) is a bannable offense. Changing UI art is not. Two completely separate things. That's why we allow people to upload the latter to the site.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

09-02-11, 01:12 PM   #12
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Just to clarify, adding files to the game folder to modify what Blizzard lets us through such method is ok. Editing the data MPQ files to bypass this restriction is not ok.

09-02-11, 01:12 PM   #13
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Some time ago you could make a MPQ file and load custom models into the game, at that point the TOS made this bannable offense and you'd get banned if discovered by warden.

Today it's limited by the game itself, you'd have to hack/modify the game to make it work and warden would find that out at some point, and as far as I know, wowinterface do not allow executable so chances that someone releases something against the TOS is very very slim.

This brings me to a second question to Cairenn; why is the Leatrix Latency Fix allowed to post a exe? The vbs I got, but the exe is compiled. Nor are the sources available anymore, so I think you should look into it. I know Leatrix is a nice guy and I can trust him, but still I think more would feel safer it it was readable and not an exe. Not to mention lack of consistency!

09-02-11, 01:27 PM   #14
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
This brings me to a second question to Cairenn; why is the Leatrix Latency Fix allowed to post a exe? The vbs I got, but the exe is compiled. Nor are the sources available anymore, so I think you should look into it. I know Leatrix is a nice guy and I can trust him, but still I think more would feel safer it it was readable and not an exe. Not to mention lack of consistency!
Notice which category it is in? Tools and Utilities. It's not an addon.

It's also in our upload rules:

Executable files are not allowed, except for some very specific cases. We test and decompile all executable files that are submitted. In some cases we may ask for the source. This processes could take awhile.
Consistency continues.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-02-11 at 01:29 PM.

09-03-11, 05:51 AM   #15
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Hmm, I see. But there are still chances you have a mole in your moderator team that makes a deal with a hacker to flag an tool safe while it in fact contains key-logging software, or somehow disguise the decompiled files/sources, so you don't see the real threat. Then users just have to trust it's safe but never be able to check it themselves, when there are no sources accompanying the exe! What do you say to that?

09-03-11, 05:55 AM   #16
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
This is going way off-topic now, Vladinator you should probably contact an admin through PM for these sort of concerns. Regardless, if you don't trust us/the uploader, then you simply shouldn't run an executable.

If anyone has anything else to add to the topic then feel free.

09-03-11, 08:07 AM   #17
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

I would like to add cookies.

09-03-11, 11:47 AM   #18
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
This is going way off-topic now, Vladinator you should probably contact an admin through PM for these sort of concerns. Regardless, if you don't trust us/the uploader, then you simply shouldn't run an executable.

If anyone has anything else to add to the topic then feel free.
The end of the last post was on purpose exaggerated. :P

I know, enough off-topic from me here... /wave

09-03-11, 12:03 PM   #19
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
alright... I don't think we need to take this any further... The OP has been corrected, and we don't need to do it 5 more times.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-03-11, 09:22 PM   #20
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Okay, I know Seerah closed this thread, but I'm going to override her decision because I feel that something that was said needs to be addressed and responded to, publicly.

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Hmm, I see. But there are still chances you have a mole in your moderator team that makes a deal with a hacker to flag an tool safe while it in fact contains key-logging software, or somehow disguise the decompiled files/sources, so you don't see the real threat. Then users just have to trust it's safe but never be able to check it themselves, when there are no sources accompanying the exe! What do you say to that?
I realize that this is, as you said yourself in a later post, that this was an exaggeration. However I feel that it should be responded to, not necessarily for your benefit Vladinator, but for other users who may not know us as well and are possibly suddenly finding themselves concerned because of your example. So, without further preamble:

We (MMOUI) have been running User Interface Customization sites for over nine (9) years now. We have seven sites covering eight games. Over the years we have built a sterling reputation with both the game companies themselves and with the users of our sites. We are Official Fan Site Program members for every single game we support. In many cases we are the only Official UI Fan Site for a game. In one case our site is actually linked to, and searches can be done on it, from within the game itself. Between all of our sites, we've got close to a million registered users. Given that we don't require registration to download from our sites, you can be sure that the actual number of users (both registered and not) is exponentially higher. That is a lot of trust placed in us, trust earned by a lot of hard work over a lot of years. No one has ever been hacked as a consequence of using our site or any addons downloaded from any of our sites. Ever.

In those nine years, we have had only one single instance of one of our sites being compromised. The two compromised files were quarantined in less than two hours after being infected. The entire incident was completely resolved in less than six hours. The hole that the malicious programmers found got closed and additional safety protocols were put in place. Also, we were extremely upfront about the fact that the compromise had occurred, with a major announcement on the front page of our site, links to the announcement on the various social networks, full explanation of what the malicious files were, how to find them and how to clean them from your system if you happened to have gotten either of the infected files before we got them locked down.

Every single file that is uploaded to, or updated on, any of our sites go through numerous steps before they are ever made available for the general public to download;
  • they are manually opened by site staff and checked to make sure there are no executables;
  • they are manually virus scanned by site staff;
  • the description and screenshots are manually scrutinized by site staff;
  • an MD5 hash is automatically generated by our system and applied on upload/update; and
  • a SHA hash is automatically generated by our system and applied on upload/update.
Only after a file has gone through and passed all of those steps is it released for download.

(This next part applies specifically to your hypothetical situation, where we've got a "mole" in our moderation team)

Every night, there are automatic steps that all files in our database go through:
  • automatic virus scans;
  • the MD5 and SHA hashes are verified.; and
  • there are other safety protocols in place as well, but no point letting the malicious programmers know everything we are doing to protect our sites and our users.
As well, we periodically pick a random file that has an executable and put it through the same scrutiny that it went through the first time it was uploaded. This includes us de-compiling it, getting the source code, running it in a 'safe' environment and watching the processes, if it makes any 'outside' connections, etc.

Yes, it is important to be careful when downloading things, but that doesn't mean that every executable is automatically malicious, nor that every site is rife with malware. Yes, any site can be infiltrated. That has been proven, very dramatically, this year. That includes the site on which we are currently having this discussion. All we (everyone using the internet) can do is try our best to be sensible.

When it comes right down to it, though, if you are that uncomfortable, then just don't download and use it. Or else run it through your own virus scans. Or ... It's not like any of the files we are talking about are absolutely necessary for you to have. And the only way you can ever be truly safe when using the internet ... is to just not use the internet.

Finally, that was a very insulting thing to even joke about, concerning our moderation team. You've been a member here for 6 years, you know better than that. They are fantastic people that give freely of their time to make sure this site stays as great as it is, for all of our users.

tl:dr = Don't be stupid when using the internet. Use sites you can trust, that have a proven track record of doing everything they can to protect their site and users. Check the stuff you download.

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-03-11 at 09:36 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Putting skins into the interface folder is bannable