04-13-14, 07:50 PM   #1
Niketa
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hiding Battle.net App Friends

Is there an addon that will hide friends who are only online via the new desktop app? I sincerely HATE this new addition. It doesn't look good at the bottom of the normal online friends and I personally don't want to see people logged onto it because half the time they are actually afk anyway.

I feel like it should be able to be done. For example, the addon Friends Groups can hide and show friends; all this would need to do is check if it's the desktop app and hide those. If there's not currently an addon that does this, what direction would one take to create one (particularly hiding certain friends)?
04-19-14, 07:54 PM   #2
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The Battle.Net client is a completely separate application from WoW. Addons would be about as effective with that, as they would for Notepad.
04-19-14, 11:05 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

@Digital_Utopia:
OP wants to modify the in-game friends list in World of Warcraft to hide the friends who are only online in the Battle.net app, rather than logged into a game. If you have any BattleTag or RealID friends, log into WoW and look at your friends list. Next to each online friend, you'll see an icon indicating how they're connected to Battle.net. Since the Battle.net app added chat, in addition to your friends who are actually playing games, you now see a bunch of "online" friends with the Battle.net icon next to them. While a few of them might actually be using the chat feature, the vast majority of these people just have the app minimized in their system tray and might not even be anywhere near their computer, and it's pointless to display them.

@Niketa:
What you describe would be possible, and an improved friends list has actually been on my to-do list for some time, but I don't have an ETA on when I will actually do anything with the idea, sorry.
04-20-14, 03:20 AM   #4
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
@Digital_Utopia:
OP wants to modify the in-game friends list in World of Warcraft to hide the friends who are only online in the Battle.net app, rather than logged into a game. If you have any BattleTag or RealID friends, log into WoW and look at your friends list. Next to each online friend, you'll see an icon indicating how they're connected to Battle.net. Since the Battle.net app added chat, in addition to your friends who are actually playing games, you now see a bunch of "online" friends with the Battle.net icon next to them. While a few of them might actually be using the chat feature, the vast majority of these people just have the app minimized in their system tray and might not even be anywhere near their computer, and it's pointless to display them.

@Niketa:
What you describe would be possible, and an improved friends list has actually been on my to-do list for some time, but I don't have an ETA on when I will actually do anything with the idea, sorry.
I stand corrected. I didn't realize they changed the in-game friends list, and the wording was a bit ambiguous. Thanks for clarifying.
04-21-14, 08:20 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
I stand corrected. I didn't realize they changed the in-game friends list, and the wording was a bit ambiguous. Thanks for clarifying.
It's not so much that they changed the in-game friends list... actually they didn't change it at all. They just changed Battle.net in a way that (depending on opinion) calls for changes to the in-game friends list.
04-22-14, 12:52 AM   #6
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
It's not so much that they changed the in-game friends list... actually they didn't change it at all. They just changed Battle.net in a way that (depending on opinion) calls for changes to the in-game friends list.
Ah, ok. So, basically, instead of a WoW (or D3, etc.) icon next to their name, it just shows...a Battle.Net icon instead?

I guess I'm fortunate enough to not have many bnet friends

So...it would go something like this, and attached to the BN_FRIEND_ACCOUNT_ONLINE event, I'm guessing.

Code:
local c={FriendsFrameFriendsScrollFrameScrollChild:GetChildren()}
for i=1,#c do
   local r={c[i]:GetRegions()}
   for j=1,#r do
      if(r[j]:GetName()==r[j]:GetParent():GetName().."GameIcon")then
         if(r[j]:IsVisible()==1 and r[j]:GetTexture()=="Interface\\FriendsFrame\\Battlenet-Battleneticon")then
            --adjust to look offline
         end
      end
   end
end
04-22-14, 05:25 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

I don't have many Battle.net friends either, but that just makes the problem worse... half the time *all* of my friends are shown as "online, but AFK" which really means *none* of them are online.

As for the modification, you'd need to posthook/overwrite the FriendsList_Update function, rather than just respond to an event, because the list is also updated when the frame is opened or scrolled, etc. However, the friends list code is among the most horrible sections of the Blizzard UI code (which says a lot, considering the general horribleness of most of the Blizzard UI code, especially the parts that have been around since the beginning), and if I were to do anything with it, I'd probably just remake it from scratch.
04-22-14, 09:05 PM   #8
Shaft840
A Defias Bandit
I also hate the way the desktop BN App shows away people as online. I saw that when it first changed and said to myself, Hell no :P.

Anyways so @ Niketa
SoDWhisper can toggle hiding of BN App Away people on its own frame in LDB or Minimap. BUT it does not touch Blizzard's friends frame and its scope is much wider than your posted needs. This has been the main reason I have been reluctant to post SoDWhisper as a solution to your problem.

I would recommend Friends Group as the addon this would be best for on the aspect of Blizzard's Friends Frame. So if you have not posted this as a suggested improvement to the Friends Group Author, you, I, or someone should :P.
04-22-14, 09:34 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Shaft840 View Post
I also hate the way the desktop BN App shows away people as online. I saw that when it first changed and said to myself, Hell no :P.
Yeah, the moment they added that "feature" to the desktop app, and failed to provide an option to log out of chat or appear invisible, was the moment I quit using it, and wrote an Autohotkey script to launch and log me into WoW directly, since the ability to log into the game without typing my password was the only reason I bothered with the app in the first place.
04-27-14, 12:54 AM   #10
Niketa
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Thanks for all the responses. The reason why I'm so reluctant to use addons like Friends Group and the like is because I actually like the way that friends are displayed for the most part. Basically, before my list was spammed with Battle.net "online" friends, I liked it. The group thing itself I am not interested. I simply want the ability to "hide" friends that are not logged into a game.

I think ideally having it so they display like they are offline (and in ABC order with the rest of the offline people; that's another thing that irks me is that they're BELOW all the people playing games and it makes it harder to find people) but perhaps instead of it saying "last online ...." just put something about being on the app. Also a button to toggle that off an on would probably be helpful, although I highly anticipate that I personally would ever want it otherwise. lol

But for me I'm sitting at 96 people on my list because I lead a lot of raids on OpenRaid and when I'm looking for a person the app friends kind of make it more annoying. Like sometimes if I scroll through pretty quickly, you know you scroll to bottom and see offline people, making it easier to scan someone near end of the alphabet in your friends but then because the app friends are sorted at the bottom of the online it totally screws up the ABC order. Also, as Phanx said, a lot of the people on those aren't even there, so I don't want to see them on my list like they're online.

Also, it's not exactly on the same plane as the original topic but it would be helpful that if a person who was logged onto their app logs into WoW that a message would happen saying the toon they logged on (normally says "Btagperson (W Toonperson) has come online". Sometimes I have friends who need to switch toons before an invite and they log off but because they're in the app when they log back on their toon I don't notice and as I said, I have a lot of friends, so it's not always as simple or effective to look through my list to see if they switched back to the new toon.

Anyway, I think a project of this sorts is too advanced for my coding level so I will just sit patiently until an addon is made. ><

Thanks!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Hiding Battle.net App Friends