05-17-11, 12:01 PM   #1
Mereinid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Spell ICONs

Hello all, I would like to know if there is a replacement for the standard Spell Icons for the game? I know there are 1000's of them but I would still like to know if there has been something done in the past to put in custom ICONS.

Back when I played EQ1. I replaced all of my spell ICONS with Spell ICONS from Icewind Dale. I would like to know if it is possible to replace with same said Spell ICONS? I am not unwilling to learn how to do it myself. I have some time on my hands now to do just that if there is not one already out there.
Let me reiterate, I would like to add in Custom Spell ICONS for the wow spells and abilities across the board. Not make them shiner, or matte, or round the edges or put them in a nice round action bar with little hearts around them. Complete all new, well old IWD Spell ICONS.

If this has not been done can someone please point me in the right direction and I will get started on it myself.

Thanks so much,
Janaki, Draenei, 90 Hunter
Anginny, Gnome, 87 Death Knight
05-17-11, 01:56 PM   #2
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The method that comes to mind is still icon replacement...you'd rename your custom icon file to match the name of the Blizzard icon file you wish to replace (rinse/repeat).

Have a peek at http://wowprogramming.com/utils/artb...nterface/ICONS for the list of doom.

Edit: the ones that begin ability_(class) might be a handy starting point...

Last edited by Aprikot : 05-17-11 at 04:43 PM.
05-17-11, 03:11 PM   #3
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Like Aprikot mentioned, you can do this through replacing the default icons.

There are Icon packages available, already. They only alter the default icons in some way and don't replace them with entirely new ones. However, you can take a look at how they do it to get the basic idea.

All I can say is, that it's a quite painful process. There's a massive amount of spell icons in WoW and almost every patch adds new ones or sometimes changes old ones. On top of that you have to go through the converting process since the icons are BLPs. Replacing just some icons for certain classes isn't quite possible either, in case you want to make just "class packages", because some icons are shared between classes, for different spells.

I don't want to discourage you, though. Just be warned that this can be time consuming.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

05-17-11, 06:38 PM   #4
Mereinid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Spell Icons

Thanks you two. I realize, I think , about the undertaking of the question. I would only be replacing ICONS for my character classes up and including all the ones that are in the PNG set from the Icewind Dale games. If I feel like more self torture I will look into pulling the icons out of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Planescape Torment.
Dawn, you mentions I would have to do a converting process, what is this?

Thanks much. http://www.wowinterface.com/images/s...lies/smile.gif
Janaki, Draenei, 90 Hunter
Anginny, Gnome, 87 Death Knight
05-17-11, 06:44 PM   #5
Dawn
A Molten Giant

WoW can't handle PNG, only TGA and BLP. You can convert PNG into BLP with a programm downloadable here on wowinterface. Just do a search for BLP, there are some choices.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

05-18-11, 06:47 AM   #6
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
All I can say is, that it's a quite painful process. There's a massive amount of spell icons in WoW and almost every patch adds new ones or sometimes changes old ones. On top of that you have to go through the converting process since the icons are BLPs. Replacing just some icons for certain classes isn't quite possible either, in case you want to make just "class packages", because some icons are shared between classes, for different spells.

I don't want to discourage you, though. Just be warned that this can be time consuming.
Yep I can second this.

It's not too bad if you have one main class that you play. You can focus on one person's icons. This can include all of the skill buttons as well as buff procs and such from talents. You will end up with several dozen for one class.

What you will want to do is look up a skill on wowhead.com. For example Healing Rain. Click on the icon image and find out it's named spell_nature_giftofthewaterspirit. Then you load up your stuff and extract it and convert it and you replace that icon with whatever from IWD.

The main issue that you will run into is with alts or group buffs. Using the same Healing Rain example above, when you click on the icon to see the name you can also look at other spells an such that use the same icon. That same icon is also used for the tailoring-only cloak enchant Darkglow Embroidery. So when the enchant procs you see this buff icon. If you have a main that you play with most of the time that you are replacing icons on, some of the icons will overlap with alts, even if you don't care to change all of the icons on them.

You will want to use the wow_interface_art package available here. All of the game's art resources, including all of the icons are in that zip. The images are in blp format. You'll want a program to convert those into png so you can edit them, and then convert back into the final blp that you will use. After you change your icons you make a folder called Icons inside your Interface folder (final path is World of Warcraft/Interface/Icons), throw those new blp in there and you're done.

Have fun.

Last edited by sakurakira : 05-18-11 at 06:56 AM.
05-18-11, 10:06 AM   #7
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

I forgot to mention wowhead as a resource for associating spell names with icon names. After searching for a spell, clicking its icon will show an "Icon" popup which reveals the name of the in-game icon image, and allows you to see all of the other things that use that icon.

If you were to start with your current action bar setup, it shouldn't take too long to get the icon names of the things you use/see most (and swap em out).

Edit: I r idiot ...I didn't read sakurakira's post fully, sry :\

Last edited by Aprikot : 05-18-11 at 10:23 AM.
05-18-11, 01:28 PM   #8
Dawn
A Molten Giant

But you did post a picture of it!

05-18-11, 09:43 PM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Funnily enough, when I played EQ1 I used Wow icons hehe.

I know it's not the same as creating your own, but normally what I do is create a new macro for whatever spell, and then I assign whatever icon to it that tickles my fancy.

Personally, I love what Suicidalkatt has done with the game icons.

Last edited by Petrah : 05-18-11 at 09:46 PM.
05-19-11, 12:11 AM   #10
tinyu
A Molten Giant

have a look at this Clean Icons - Thin.

and here is the program to convert

BLP2PNG

id also recommend

BLPView
05-19-11, 01:11 AM   #11
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Ah yes, custom icons. While you are at it, if you use macros, this is a great way to use make those macros' icons different. I often used custom icons in my UI setups and thus I kept handy, "blank" frame textures and such so my icons would look like they did belong in my UI.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Spell ICONs