01-14-15, 08:35 PM   #21
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Seerah
Also remember that you need only click the link in ircdirk's signature to get the very lastest version of Carbonite from github.
Hi, Seerah. I had the understanding that the GitHub files (which are always in a constant state of change), were there for the developers and not for normal users to use. It would seem to me that if users found issues with those files, they'd then be posting errors all over the place, which is happening now--almost daily! Maybe it's just me, but I feel a little safer downloading and using files which have already been 'approved,' such as the Live version offers. I'm just waiting and hoping that some of the Live version (sub-categories like Warehouse) will be updated, and not necessarily a completely new Live version. I can wait for the "complete" overhaul to be done. I hope I explained this clearly enough.
01-15-15, 12:56 AM   #22
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Hi, Seerah. I had the understanding that the GitHub files (which are always in a constant state of change), were there for the developers and not for normal users to use. It would seem to me that if users found issues with those files, they'd then be posting errors all over the place, which is happening now--almost daily! Maybe it's just me, but I feel a little safer downloading and using files which have already been 'approved,' such as the Live version offers. I'm just waiting and hoping that some of the Live version (sub-categories like Warehouse) will be updated, and not necessarily a completely new Live version. I can wait for the "complete" overhaul to be done. I hope I explained this clearly enough.
In one way u want to have Live Releases fast in other u want them to be 'approved' and tested. Its hard to join those two.

Latests GitHub version is really Release Candidate so it probably be the next Live version. As to GitHub versions of Carb, normal users could use it too, we cant test all. The thing is that bugs/issues/errors sould be reported to GitHub interface (https://github.com/Rythal/Carbonite/issues) not here.
01-15-15, 05:29 AM   #23
Kreelor
A Firelord

Hi ircdirk,

You said:
In one way u want to have Live Releases fast in other u want them to be 'approved' and tested. Its hard to join those two.
Some of that is true -- everybody would like to have faster Live Releases (even you), but I never requested that. The part where you said "It's hard to join those two," is not what I said, and it is not something I suggested.

ircdirk, you posted this earlier, and it was also in my own post #6 in this thread.
"Rythal when are u plannig next release? Many fixes have been made in GitHub. Users are still reporting issues that are already fixed."

There is no actual (announced) BETA Version of Carbonite. If some users begin using the GitHub versions instead of the Live version, they would have to register with GitHub and learn how to use it merely to report bugs, questions, comments, etc. That would interfere terribly with the actual Developer's efforts. In my opinion, normal users should not be posting in the GitHub.

You said:
Latests GitHub version is really Release Candidate so it probably be the next Live version.
Question:
Why can't the "Release Candidate" be offered eventually as a BETA version instead of calling it a Live version? That way, it would no longer be in the GitHub and could be posted in a new sub-forum named:
["Carbonite: BETA Version -- Post comments or errors here ONLY if you are using the BETA!"].
Users wouldn't need to join GitHub and maybe the "double-posting" of errors could be avoiding? As it is now, the Live version is being used as a BETA version, or at least it appears that way to me. The naming scheme is confusing. Is the "Live" version actually meant to be called a "Release" version, or is an actual Release version something which will be posted in the future?

My apologies if I wrote too much. It's now 3:00am my time, so I'm a little tired. Sorry.

Last edited by Kreelor : 01-15-15 at 05:31 AM.
01-15-15, 06:46 AM   #24
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Some of that is true -- everybody would like to have faster Live Releases (even you), but I never requested that. The part where you said "It's hard to join those two," is not what I said, and it is not something I suggested.
U didnt wrote that. But u are not writing about faster releases and "approved" at the same time? Make up your mind.

Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Hi ircdirk,
There is no actual (announced) BETA Version of Carbonite. If some users begin using the GitHub versions instead of the Live version, they would have to register with GitHub and learn how to use it merely to report bugs, questions, comments, etc. That would interfere terribly with the actual Developer's efforts. In my opinion, normal users should not be posting in the GitHub.
For downloading u dont have to register on Github.

As for Beta version of Carbonite: BETA = GitHub now and users who USES GitHub version SOULD and i will write it twice SOULD post issues on Github. As there is special interface for that (more simple than this forum). Posting issues helps developers, as on github everything is connected with each other.

As for Release Candidates, they will be on GitHub, i dont think we will post them twice here and on GitHub. Every one can download those when they want.

Last edited by ircdirk : 01-15-15 at 06:52 AM.
01-15-15, 09:24 AM   #25
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
U didnt wrote that. But u are not writing about faster releases and "approved" at the same time? Make up your mind.

For downloading u dont have to register on Github.

As for Beta version of Carbonite: BETA = GitHub now and users who USES GitHub version SOULD and i will write it twice SOULD post issues on Github. As there is special interface for that (more simple than this forum). Posting issues helps developers, as on github everything is connected with each other.

As for Release Candidates, they will be on GitHub, i dont think we will post them twice here and on GitHub. Every one can download those when they want.
Sounds like a convoluted mess to me.

If the GitHub version is the most current version (even though it's a Development version), then why is the forum and its Carbonite-Live version-Sub-forums being used to post errors? There is even a Sub-forum for Development (which means GitHub)! Isn't that making it 2 or 3 different places to report the same errors? [GitHub version, Live version, and Developer's Sub-forum]? The only place I ever saw the word "BETA" is in your signature (in your posts), but I thought that was a typo. -- I just don't understand, but that's nothing new.
01-15-15, 09:48 AM   #26
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Actually, it is rather simple. You don't need to register on github to download the developer version (or beta), but you do to submit issues there. Since not everyone wants to create such an account, they post the bugs on here, where they are already registered, which regularly leads to the question which version is used.
01-15-15, 09:56 AM   #27
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
Actually, it is rather simple. You don't need to register on github to download the developer version (or beta), but you do to submit issues there. Since not everyone wants to create such an account, they post the bugs on here, where they are already registered, which regularly leads to the question which version is used.
Thank you!
01-15-15, 10:11 AM   #28
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Word BETA is used for development versions of some program/addon etc. and development version of Carbonite is maintained in GitHub, simple.

p.s. my english is not so good so thats might be confusing

Last edited by ircdirk : 01-15-15 at 10:41 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: General Discussion » An old saying...