12-28-07, 10:42 AM   #1
jbaisden
A Defias Bandit
Quest target compass mod

Hey, I've got an idea for a mod that is kind of elaborate (aren't they all). There are a lot of logistical hurdles to overcome but if it could be done, it would make leveling much, much easier for the directionally challenged (myself included...despite have leveled several characters to 60 and one to 70).

The gist of the mod is that you have a small window that displays your coordinates at the top and also shows an arrow. Depending on where you need to go (more on this in a second), the arrow will change from N to NE to SE to S to SW to W to NW.

The mod will keep a pretty large database (using the term loosely, as it would really just be a table) of mobs that are quest targets. It would start out by just tracking the mobs needed for the quests that are like go and kill x fluffy bunnies. When you first load the mod it scans your quest log and matches mob names against its database. Keep in mind that each quest mob will hopefully have several entries in the database (say 10). If the mod finds a quest whose target is a mob that is in the database, it will show all known locations of that mob on the world map (for that area) via a dot (much like raid member dots). It will then draw lines connecting those dotes, shade the area inside of the outline, and label it for what quest it is for. The compass will have a drop down list that lets you choose what quest you want it to point you to or you can just select a checkbox to have it direct you to the closest set of mobs to you. The compass then directs you to their location and the slaughter begins.

Future enhancements would expand the mob database such that quests that have items that are required would associate those items to the mobs that drop them, locate those mobs, and direct you as needed.

The whole motiviation for this mod is really thottbot. It would be great if you could get thottbot data in the game, but I don't know if that is possible. I enjoyed leveling the first few times, but there comes a point where you just want to blast through to the highest level for whatever reason.

I would really like some thoughts from those that have made mods. I have made one myself, but that was some time ago and it certainly wasn't on this scale. If you think its stupid I would appreciate that feedback along with an explaination as to why. Constructive criticism, no matter how harsh, would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks.
12-28-07, 11:05 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Already been done:

Cartographer (for the map data and waypoints module), Tomtom (for the coords display and marks your MiniMap) and Lightheaded (for the quest data plus comments from WoWHead)

This combo works great. Cartographer can be found at http://files.wowace.com/Cartographer/Cartographer.zip

Tomtom and Lightheaded are found on this site.

In addition there is MobMap http://www.mobmap.de/

Last edited by Zyonin : 12-28-07 at 11:15 AM.
12-28-07, 11:25 AM   #3
jbaisden
A Defias Bandit
Oh....well thats convenient

Wow....well thats good to know...cool.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Quest target compass mod