05-03-10, 12:03 PM   #1
Lilithurian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Any other possibilities for saving data?

Hi there,

I am about to write an addon, but I am quiet noobish when it comes to addon programming and I hope you can help me.

The goal of my addon is to create an enhanced profile, where players can input extra information. However, I would like this information to be viewable even when the player who posted that information is offline. So this data should be saved somewhere.

I was wondering if this is doable with just SavedVariables? Is it doable at all?
Are there any other options for saving data and sharing it between players?

Thanks in advance!
Greets,
05-03-10, 12:44 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You could code it so that users of your addon can share data: http://www.wowwiki.com/API_SendAddonMessage
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-03-10, 01:37 PM   #3
Lilithurian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks for your quick response.

So setting up a channel will allow all users of this addon to share data, but will it also store the data so that is available even when other users are no longer online (so not longer in the channel, I'm guessing) ?
05-03-10, 06:25 PM   #4
Waverian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Lilithurian View Post
Thanks for your quick response.

So setting up a channel will allow all users of this addon to share data, but will it also store the data so that is available even when other users are no longer online (so not longer in the channel, I'm guessing) ?
No. At least one person online has to have the data available in order for it to be shared.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Any other possibilities for saving data?