07-04-13, 03:33 PM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

BETA-530a1r2--Default Settings, etc.

After reading many positive reports about this latest BETA/Alpha release, I went ahead and installed it. It is working very good for the most part. I read the "Docs" which came with the download, but I still have a few observations and questions, since they weren't mentioned in the docs. Rythal, you've done a great job fixing and improving Carbonite!

Just a few observations and questions:

-- It's impossible to enter values manually (by typing) into the 'boxes' in the Options/dialog screens. Only the slider bar works (records the values), but the mouse cursor covers up the values, so they can't be seen while sliding. Manually-entered values are not recorded.

-- I fiddled around with the Scaling values for things like icon scales, min/max, etc. However, I found no way to reset those values back to their default values. I messed things up while experimenting. Short of reinstalling Carbonite again, is it possible for you to provide a "Reset only these values back to default" option?

-- Where can I find either a small graphic of that dialog or even a text file showing me the default Scale settings?

-- About map scaling: (Note: I choose not to incorporate the minimap into the larger Carbonite map).
I have observed by experimentation that the "Save Map Scale" doesn't perform on each map (the smaller one and the larger one) independently of each other. Whatever the scale of the smaller map is... the larger map displays in that scale. I thought they could each be assigned their own scale setting since their views are drastically different from one another; a larger map for an overview of an area and the smaller map for a more detailed view of an area. I may be wrong, but I thought it used to work that way?

I love many of your improvements! Thank you.

BTW... will there be a complete Carbonite User Manual, eventually, and hopefully one which will be kept up-to-date as Carbonite improves and/or changes? Just wondering and hoping.

07-05-13, 05:01 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Kreelor, what larger Carbonite map are you talking about?
Carbonite has one map and it is either maximized (large, like Blizzards World Map) or minimized (minimap sized but NOT the minimap). Blizzard gives us three maps: The Minimap (found in the upper right corner of your screen), the World Map (the big map) and the Zone (sometimes referred to as the Battleground) Map. A technicality, to be sure, but it occasionally helps to use the correct terms when explaining something.
This may help to explain.

The scale you are saving is the scale of the Carbonite map, not the container it is in. So, when you save the map scale for the minimized map you are also saving the scale for the maximized map. That is, the way it "looks" inside its' container (or frame).

If I'm wrong about this I am sure someone will correct me.

No need to reinstall Carbonite. Deleting (or renaming) the Carbonite "SavedVariables" at "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" should do the trick and set everything back to default for you. That's just the "Carbonite.lua" and "Carbonite.lua.bak" files. Reinstalling Carbonite would just give you the same problems. (Unless you use the Curse Client. That way when you choose to uninstall an addon it gives you a choice to delete the saved variables.)

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 07-05-13 at 05:24 AM.

07-05-13, 11:58 AM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

Thanks, jeffy162, for replying.

I believe you answered your own question about map(s) sizes. You guessed right. It's the Carbonite larger and smaller frames of the singular Carbonite (Parent) map. For some reason, I thought those two 'frames' (views) were each called by a separate function call, both of which based upon the single "Parent" map. Had they been, each one could be assigned its own scale values. I guess I was wrong. I wish it would work the way I had hoped. heh heh. Much more useful that way.
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Kreelor, what larger Carbonite map are you talking about?

".... So, when you save the map scale for the minimized map you are also saving the scale for the maximized map. That is, the way it "looks" inside its' container (or frame)."
I believe you misunderstood what I was asking, when I said: "... "Reset only these values back to default" option?". See attached image.

You said:
No need to reinstall Carbonite. Deleting (or renaming) the Carbonite "SavedVariables" at "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" should do the trick and set everything back to default for you.
Won't deleting the "SavedVariables" ("Carbonite.lua" and "Carbonite.lua.bak" files) delete ALL Carbonite saved variables instead of the specific ones I was referring to?

I appreciate your replies!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scaling_values.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	7792  

07-06-13, 04:58 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes. But it's the only way to reset Carbonite now.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

07-06-13, 04:00 PM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
at least until I get the profile options in place. I'm toying with various ways to get profiles working across the various modules.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » BETA-530a1r2--Default Settings, etc.