01-04-06, 08:41 PM   #1
LilDemon
A Murloc Raider
New Mod, looking to see if I should release publicly

Short Version:

This mod, SellersBuddy, shall allow the following:
- Drag 'n Drop interface to deal with your "WTS" announcements in the Trade Channel, Yell, or Say...
- Anti-Spam feature via not allowing announcements more than once every "x" minutes, "x" to be determined.
- Announcement must be triggered by a keypress, no automatic timers, to prevent unintentional spam when AFK.

Please post whether you think this is a worthwhile mod! (Note: Not "Would you use this?" but do you think people in general would?)

Suggestions welcome!

Long Version:

So I was getting tired of having to re-write my sales announcements every single time I wanted to make them... And I decided that would be a good excuse to make my own mod. Originally I intended to make it only for my own use, but now, as I realize the hours I will have to put in on it, I am more and more thinking of releasing it publicly... Hey, I'm human, I want people to see how clever I can be!

The scheme I came up with involved dragging an item from your inventory into a configuration interface, then selecting various radio-button style options to complete your message, and include a customizable "trailer" to the message (ie: "PST!" or "going cheap in the AH!")

It currently only exists in theory, although most of the critical coding is done. I'm working mostly on UI now, since my UI skills are limited compared to coding. LUA may be new to me, but coding is not.

Thanks for your time,

Lil Demon
01-06-06, 08:08 AM   #2
LilDemon
A Murloc Raider
Wow, viewed 60+ times and not one reply in 3 days :P And I heard this was a nice active forum....
01-07-06, 01:51 PM   #3
Tristalyn
A Kobold Labourer
Talking Imo

This sounds like a very worthwile mod, and I would defintely think most people would use it. Also it would give the CGF's a break I am interested in seeing what the finished product will be.
01-08-06, 11:48 AM   #4
LilDemon
A Murloc Raider
Because I'm trying to avoid dependencies its going slowly getting a polished project together

Still... It'll be worth it :P
01-11-06, 04:35 PM   #5
taco-man
A Fallenroot Satyr
sounds like an interesting idea, seems like a fair amount of people would use it, myself included
01-13-06, 08:26 PM   #6
LilDemon
A Murloc Raider
Unhappily I must report I'm doing poorly on this add-on. I'd like to find someone who would be willing to work with me on it (Not do it for me, I know there are many gifted coders on here who could) to get me moving more in the right direction.

For some reason my lua loads, and all works well, but then I'll make some small change and all of a sudden I can't access the functions. No error, the functions simply cease to DO anything. Using some very basic OO programming, so it should not be a namespace problem.

No idea. And I thought this would be an easy project to get started with! lol

Contact me if you are interested in working with me on this mod, or if you want to adopt the idea yourself (I prefer to keep trying at it though!)

[email protected]
01-15-06, 11:16 AM   #7
Jacend
An Aku'mai Servant

I have thought about adding a feature like this to my mod, ChatEx (Currently in beta) .. It is something, if you're interested, that I'd be willing to talk to you about.. see if you wanted to work on that section (I'd be here for help if you needed), while I worked on the rest.. For more info on ChatEx go here:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?p=13437

My email is [email protected].. So email me/post here and lemme know!

PS: I know the information in this post is limited, and my wording sucks.. but I'm in a hurry.. heheh.. church!
02-25-06, 10:02 PM   #8
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Jacend
I have thought about adding a feature like this to my mod, ChatEx (Currently in beta) .. It is something, if you're interested, that I'd be willing to talk to you about.. see if you wanted to work on that section (I'd be here for help if you needed), while I worked on the rest.. For more info on ChatEx go here:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?p=13437

My email is [email protected].. So email me/post here and lemme know!

PS: I know the information in this post is limited, and my wording sucks.. but I'm in a hurry.. heheh.. church!
Though I can't recall any names (since I didn't actually use them), there have been mods in the past that have done very similar things. I remember some of them got some flak for allowing automated advertising, even though they often had timing restrictions like you proposed. I don't recall whether any of them had GUIs. Just thought I'd mention it...
02-25-06, 10:25 PM   #9
Tain
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I would like to beg of you, on my knees, with my hands raised, don't add the default local, ooc, shout, etc. channels to this mod. People already pollute the non-trade channels with their selling nonsense enough, and they shouldn't be there in the first place. Although I fully support the idea of this mod for advertising in the trade channels, just don't make it simple for someone to drop the messages elsewhere.

On a somewhat non-sequitor note, why do people say PST anyway? How else are you going to contact them if you're interested? Smoke signal? Carrier pigeon? It's silly.
02-25-06, 10:28 PM   #10
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tain
On a somewhat non-sequitor note, why do people say PST anyway? How else are you going to contact them if you're interested? Smoke signal? Carrier pigeon? It's silly.
Ahaha! From now on, I'm going to use PSCP (please send carrier pigeon) in all WoW ads!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » New Mod, looking to see if I should release publicly