03-21-08, 01:40 AM   #1
eomer
A Theradrim Guardian

Question Addons optimization: reducing lag - where to start?

I have many addons and recently began experiencing some problems with lag.
I have 1,5 k RAM and addons usually take from 70 to 100 mb (when auctioneer scans).
I want to optimize my addons but need some advice:
1. What should I begin with?
2. What statistic to look for when looking for addons that slow system most - memory used, CPU use or what?
3. How to select most optimized addon - install and see stats for each one doing same thing?
4. Is there something else I can do to improve that? (in WoW or outside it)
5. What is best way to find out what addons conflict between themselves?

Last edited by eomer : 03-21-08 at 01:42 AM.
03-21-08, 02:17 AM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you're referring to internet lag, then memory usage is not your problem. If you're referring to having a low FPS, then memory usage is not your problem.

In fact, no matter what, memory usage is not your problem in most cases.

You need to figure out what addon is taking the most CPU time and kill it. This is NOT typically the addon taking up the most memory (though it can be). Two equally well written algorithms will have a simple tradeoff: Memory vs Calculation Time. More memory usage typically translates into less CPU time. This goes doubly true for Lua.

Disable addons one at a time (or use a binary search pattern to isolate key offenders). Specifically look at the ones taking up the most CPU time if you have the capability of doing that (though this may prove ineffective if you are not triggering the component of the code causing the problem). Do NOT look at memory usage as anything other than something that may be suspicious. Memory usage rate is a good indicator usually, as it can indicate a poorly written addon if it is consuming memory rapidly (which will then translate into more GC action) but an addon can take up 500MB of memory and still run extremely fast (once it's initialized that 500MB of memory) if it doesn't keep churning it.

There is no "easy" way to do this. In general it's just guess and check, that's about it. Unfortunately there's nothing more you can do without an internal knowledge of Lua and the code of the addons.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
03-21-08, 05:50 AM   #3
blay
An Aku'mai Servant
Auctioneer is a memory intensive addon, especially while scanning. The first thing I would try is only loading Auctioneer on your bank toon, or when your doing AH stuffs. See if this helps your memory usage, then go from there.
03-21-08, 06:44 AM   #4
mulesh
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
AddonUsage will show you memory and cpu usage of your loaded addons ingame.
03-21-08, 09:54 PM   #5
Farook
A Molten Giant

Give us a list of the addons you use.

I'd bet that you use some addons that have the same/similar functionality.

Maybe we can help you to sort them out...
03-23-08, 03:31 PM   #6
eomer
A Theradrim Guardian

Here is list of addons I have:

!Buggrabber, Ace, Ace2, Ace3, ACP, AlarBG helper, Align, Aloft, AoTR Dungeon Quester, Atlas, Atlas Loot, Atlas Quest, Auctioneer Advanced, Autobar, Basic experience bar, Big Wigs, Bongos 2, Bookmark, Book of crafts, Bugsack, Casting Bar ++, NaturEnemy Cast bar, Comix, Deadly Boss Mods, DeuseCommander, DrDamage, ElkBuffBars, EQCompare, ezIcons, Factionizer, Fishing buddy, Friends Facts, Fubar (AmmoFu, AutolootFu, BagFu, CharmsFu, ClockFu, DurabilityFu, EmoteFu, ExperinceFu, FactionsFu, FriendsFu, GEMFu, GuildFu, HonorFu, ItemBonusesFu, LocationFu, MailFu, MoneyFu, PrefmanceFu, RecountFu, RegenFu, RestFu, SkillsPlusFu, ToFu, VolumeFu, WhisperFu), Gatherer, GathererSage, GemHelper, GFW-Adspace, GFW-HunterHelper, GrimoreKeeper, GrindBuddy, GEM, Hattrick, Healbot, Lighthead, LittleWigs, Mapster, Minimap Buttonbag, Mendeleev, MetaHud, Mobinfo + mobHealth, MonkeyBuddy, MonkeyClock, Movablebags, Omen, OmniCC, Postal, Prat, QuestGuru, Ratingbuster, Reciepe book, Reciepe Radar, Recount, Rightclick selfcast, SCT+SCT cooldowns+SCTD+SCT spellready, Shieldleft, Sea, Simplemountequip, SpamSentry, TipTac, TradeJunkie, Valuation, X-Perl Unitframes.

Here is screen of my addons folder (some are not in the list above as I'm only trying them out at the moment and I'm not sure which addon some folders belong to - for example, MapLibrary)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...0/addons-1.gif

03-26-08, 02:17 AM   #7
Farook
A Molten Giant

Ace, Ace2 and Ace3? Why?

DBM and BigWigs? Why?

Doesn't Bongos have a rightclick-selfcast-feature? Why an extra addon for this?

What are you using "Sea" for? Do you really need it?

etc. etc. etc.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Addons optimization: reducing lag - where to start?