05-01-10, 08:17 PM   #1
calidril
A Defias Bandit
nUI+ and Grid

I just installed nUI+, it looks awesome, good job.

My question is do we have to install grid and gridraidicons for raid frams or does nUI+ already include those features.

05-01-10, 11:47 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
nUI+ has raid frames and are clique friendly if you use that to heal. You don't have to use other addons to heal But it does work with grid, healbot and vuhdo if you are used to them

I personally use grid but others use the others as well. Just a personal preference suited to the way you heal.

05-02-10, 01:31 AM   #3
calidril
A Defias Bandit
don't have any healing toons (rogue, hunter, dk, and lock) so that is not an issue. Raid icons is for BQ especially.

I also noticed that nUI+ seems to take up a lot of memory, when i checked it was at 20mb and another time at 30mb and climbing.

Why is it taking so much memory and it increases then decreases (20-30mb is a lot.)?

BTW, i'm on a "gaming" laptop running windows 7.

05-02-10, 04:29 AM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
It's the way Scott has been creating the information tables during game play. The trashman does come by occasionally though and take the unused data away and thus releases the memory that unused data was taking up. Unfortunately you don't have much control over when that happens from what I understand.

Scott is working in a more robust and trashman friendly environment for version 6. The changes for version 5 would be too extensive to incorporate in an existing codebase.

If you have something like titan panel with the memory info on display you can manually release it if that makes it more comfortable for you. I'm fortunate enough not to notice any gameplay problems whether its at 10mb or at 50mb so sometimes I don't even know that it has climbed that high. From memory though it doesn't usually climb much higher than 50mb before it drops back down again.

05-02-10, 05:26 AM   #5
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Let me start by saying the 20meg of memory is diddly. It's less than 1% of memory and, as I have stated in other threads, programmers often trade more memory use for better performance (i.e... often it's faster to store things in memory and reuse them than to have to build them from scratch again and again, etc.)

The reason the memory climbs up and then falls back is related to how dynamic memory works. In Lua, when you're done using a memory object, you don't delete allocated space like you do in other languages (a la C++ delete or C free) == you just dereference the memory object and the Lua engine decides when to do the garbage collection that returns that memory to the heap.

So, over time, as nUI creates and dereferences dynamic memory objects, you see the memory usage climb though nUI isn't actually using as much memory as is being reported since it has dereferenced much of it. When the Lua engine fires the garbage collector, then you see nUI's memory usage fall down to what it is actually using at the time.

That said... 20meg is a drop in the bucket. Especially when you consider that nUI is doing the combined jobs of a large collection of mods... unit frames, action bars, aura timers, cooldown timers, and so on.

I wouldn't worry about addon memory usage unless and until it exceeds 100meg.

Either way, the important thing to remember is that memory usage is not a measure of performance. CPU usage is.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI+ and Grid