05-30-09, 08:37 AM   #1
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Three Characters, All the Same Class?

I've heard people on this forum and the official WoW Forums say they have things like 3 Warriors, or 4 Hunters, or 3 Mages, etc...

My question is: why? What is the purpose of having more than one character of the same class? The only thing I can think of that would justify this would be:

A.) One for both Alliance and Horde

B.) If you play on multiple servers

C.) Passion for that particular class

But even so, if you really liked the class, why would you make more than one of them? Why not just level the one you have, get it geared well, play it, and enjoy it? Some people like leveling perhaps more than the end-game content, I understand that. I just want some one to explain to me what the purpose is of having multiple characters of the same class.

05-30-09, 08:51 AM   #2
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
You're 3 reasons cover it for both myself and several other people I know who have multiples of the same class except for one other point:

D.) Multiple specs without the inconvenience and cost of respecing.

Until recently there was no dual spec system and until Sunwell, money didn't grow on trees, so someone who liked multiple specs but didn't have a lot of money would sometimes just level another (or two) of their favorite class.

It's why I leveled multiple warriors. As a tank i was always broke from repairs, so i couldn't respec every other day to have some arms fun in pvp. This is also the reason that answers your final "but even so.." paragraph.

Not really valid anymore though...but then again, I would not level more than one of a class anymore at this point.

I know another person who has three priests because she kept changing her mind on what race she wanted to be...so there's another possible explanation. And some people who have two of the same class did so because they love the class, but when Draenei were added they wanted to be one of those instead of what they had originally rolled.

Last edited by stormkeep : 05-30-09 at 08:55 AM.
05-30-09, 09:33 AM   #3
vlakarados
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't really know, but I myself level 2 same class characters, 1 = 80 end game geared and one twink 19lvl
05-30-09, 09:45 AM   #4
Farm Fresh
A Fallenroot Satyr

I guess I'm not the right person to ask about this, since I can't stand having two characters with the same PROFESSIONS even on different servers. It's killing me to have an Orc hunter on one server and a Dwarf hunter on another. (And I can't delete the Dwarf since he's my first character. That would be treason!)
05-30-09, 10:30 AM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I had 4 Druids, 2 lvl 80, 1 lvl 74, and 1 lvl 58. I say had, I still have them them, if I were to re-up my sub.

2 LvL 80's are on the same server, one Nelf, one Cow. I raided both sides of the fence.

LvL 74 is on a PvP server, it was an "escape raid mentality" toon.

LvL 58 is on a RP server, for fun and games.

I was a Rogue (Alliance) from mid 2005 until Burning Crusade. I rarely needed an alt because my Rogue was so much fun. I had a Warrior (Horde) that I used for srs biz raiding, because it was easier to gear up as a tank... or maybe my thinking was skewed, but it was fun.

After BC, I didn't enjoy either class as much as I did pre BC, so I grabbed my LvL 16 Druid and goofed off til lvl 22, when it was obvious I was meant to play a Druid... because it was just too damned much fun. I leveled as feral and raided as feral... after getting alternate gear sets, I could even heal heroics as feral. I never specced balance for more than a day and only used balance spells for PvP and AoE pulls.

Then, one by one, I began leveling others and it never got old... until Wrath xpac. I think some people just have the ability to immerse themselves into a role in depth enough that it's enjoyable to expand it to other places (servers, factions). It was easy playing a Druid, when I enjoyed it, but it was not easy being thought of as really good... that was the challenge I enjoyed so much from it.

Playing a Druid in BC made me passionate about WoW, that's probably the biggest reason I played 4 of them.

/ramble off
06-07-09, 11:03 PM   #6
Astrocanis
A Black Drake
Originally Posted by PerfectH View Post
I've heard people on this forum and the official WoW Forums say they have things like 3 Warriors, or 4 Hunters, or 3 Mages, etc...

My question is: why? What is the purpose of having more than one character of the same class? The only thing I can think of that would justify this would be:

A.) One for both Alliance and Horde

B.) If you play on multiple servers

C.) Passion for that particular class

But even so, if you really liked the class, why would you make more than one of them? Why not just level the one you have, get it geared well, play it, and enjoy it? Some people like leveling perhaps more than the end-game content, I understand that. I just want some one to explain to me what the purpose is of having multiple characters of the same class.

I have two warriors (3 if you count my 52) and two druids.

I have two warriors and two druids because I split my time between PvP server ( my son ) and PvE server ( my daughter ). My second, PVE druid, hit 70 and then they opened up the PvE to PvP transfers. You know, the ones they were NEVER going to do? Yeah, those.

As for my 52, that was a "different server" sort of thing.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Three Characters, All the Same Class?