09-11-10, 10:19 AM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Holy Power in UI, need feedback.

I've been messing around with different ways to display holy power, and I'm kind of stuck.

At first I used a simple number above the target (in the same way I display combo points), and it worked perfectly, except that combo points are only shown if you have a target and holy power is always shown. Without a target, the position of the number felt out of place, but it's the only place where it's really noticeable.

So I tried a bar display. A 1-pixel high bar, like my power bar, didn't quite work out because it wasn't very visible. So I changed it to 2 pixels, but it's still not perfect. Then I added some glow around my player frame (we love glow) to emphasize when I have 3 holy power, but still it just doesn't feel right. Here's some pics:

What should I do? Change the bar colour so it stands out more? Just stick to the number? Do something else?

Any feedback is appreciated.

09-11-10, 10:37 AM   #2
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would suggest having it at the top of the playerbar or as a number to its left or right. Alternatively add it as a plan buff which always spawns at the first position (just find a holy icon) and add count to it.

09-11-10, 10:47 AM   #3
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

Btw, there's no room above the player frame, it's where party frames (dps/tank mode) + combat text goes.

09-11-10, 11:02 AM   #4
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

Btw, there's no room above the player frame, it's where party frames (dps/tank mode) + combat text goes.
Raise the hp/mana text enough to make room for the bar to be top. Or
As I said, create a buff icon below your unitframe like you have for debuffs for target. Or even to the left, right of your unitframe.

09-11-10, 02:56 PM   #5
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
At the top or to the left of the player frame is too out of reach. To the right of the player frame is the cast bar icon.

I think I'll stick with the current setup and stress test it a little, if I don't like it I'll go back to the number.

Thanks for the feedback.

09-12-10, 10:39 PM   #6
DesertDwarf
Largely Short

Premium Member
You are putting your own holy power indicator above your target?

Personally, as a pally, I'd rather have it where "my" stuff is, so it looks like it belongs to me, not to my enemy.

In addition, I could see mass confusion on screenshots:

"What's that one bar above the boss?"

"Holy power."

"Whoa. You have an addon that can track your enemy's Holy Power!? What's it called?"

10-20-10, 04:21 PM   #7
nastylarry99
A Kobold Labourer
ice hud

it has holy power bar you can move around in module settings works well for me

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » Holy Power in UI, need feedback.