10-25-08, 04:39 PM   #1
Tepetkhet
Premium Member

Some Addon Preferences not sticking

Okay, this is an odd one.

I'm on Windows XP, so no Vista freakiness here.

I have noticed that since 3.x, some of my addon preferences are not staying.

For example, I set LuckyCharms2 to hide the ReadyCheck button. I lock the bar. I log back in and the freakin' button's back! The preferences still even show that it's set to Hide, and yet there it is. Visible. Mocking me. Weirder yet, it's no longer locked.
Another example, Cellular. I position my whisper window JUST so. Resize it. Fit it right where I want it in my UI. Log out, log into another toon with a different UI layout. The Cellular window wants to stay there. It doesn't seem to save its position settings on a per user basis.
Another example, Chinchilla. I love it to death, but again, it's not wanting to save its settings on a per user basis. I changed my minimap frame colour and now EVERY single one of my toons has that same minimap frame colour.
The final, most ANNOYING example...my Addon Preferences minimap button. This is the little screw that shows up when you install Ace mods, I think. It wants to OVERLAP my tracking button! What's up with that? I can barely click it because of the overlap. Every time I log in, I have to reposition it, too.

Something's definitely whacky here.
For the LuckyCharms2 issue, I posted to the dev and he/she was not able to reproduce the issue, so we concluded it was something weird with my system.
I tried deleting my WTF folder already.

Help?

-T.
10-25-08, 06:24 PM   #2
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I had this problem too. I will pass on the suggestion that fixed it for me (thank you Seerah). With the new patch some of the wow folders were moved to a new location. Make sure that the new World of Warcraft folder and all subfolders are not marked read only, or your saved variables cannot be saved.
10-25-08, 06:43 PM   #3
daabears
A Kobold Labourer
I had this problem as well, for anyone running Vista you can right click on the shortcut and click 'Run as Administrator'. That will give the program write access to your program files and you shouldn't hsve this problem anymore.
10-25-08, 06:58 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm using XP, and I have one addon that refuses to keep a setting as well. In rock config Addon Preferences... Fadeout Transparency refuses to stay at 100%. It's driving me nuts lol.
10-25-08, 07:32 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
LuckyCharms2: not sure what's up with that, but it may be something conflicting or an error if you have error messages hidden. If you do not get the same behavior with LuckyCharms2 being the only mod enabled, then it has to do with another mod.

Cellular and Chinchilla: sounds like your characters are sharing the same profile (most likely the default). Anything done to that profile affects every character that is using that profile. If you want Character A to have things set one way and Character B to have them another, then they need to be on different profiles.

AddonPreferences button (the screw): this is a known bug. The RockConfig library (what provides the addon preferences window) uses a hack to tack its saved variables onto the saved variables of a Blizzard addon (so that it could have sv's even when embedded). Since those saved variables for that Blizzard addon no longer exist, its settings don't get saved.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-25-08, 08:10 PM   #6
Tepetkhet
Premium Member

Thanks, Seerah.
Any ideas how to get different profiles for Chinchilla and Cellular?

-T.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Some Addon Preferences not sticking