04-23-10, 06:48 PM   #1
Larsonya
A Murloc Raider
Strange problem with addons

Hi

I have a rly strange problem and no one yet has managed to help me (including Blizz).

I have 8 characters on the same server. Have plenty of addons. Various characters use various addons but some more popular ones are used by all characters.

All addons work and all but here is the problem. On ONE of my character i can not disable already enabled addons on character selection screen. Neither can i enable some of disabled ones. On character selection screen i go to "addons" button where recap, tell me when, need to know, atlasloot, dbm are enabled only for my paladin. If i disable them, they still appear when i log in. Also if i try to for example enable some other addon, that addon will not apear in game on log in. Im having this issue only on 1 of my character.

All characters have individual enabled and disabled addons on character selection screen. All addons work just fine and i can enable and disable them at will on all character but this one character where it doesnt work.

I have tried repairing wow and copying back backed up WTF, Cache and Interface folders and the problem persists. All addons are freshly updated from curse and wowinterface sites.

The only time i managed to disabled addons on that one character which is giving me troubles is when i selected "all" and selected "disable all addons". As soon as i would start enabling some other addons on some other characters back how they were, individual settings for my pala (bugged character) would come back to their bugged default.

I know it may sound complicated. I would be happy to provide any additional information or try to explain better if someone would like to help me.

Thanks
04-23-10, 06:54 PM   #2
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

search ACP in addons
04-23-10, 09:20 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Go inside your WTF folder and find the character specific folder for the character you are having issues with. It sounds as if your folder and its contents (or perhaps just the Addons.txt file) has become either a. write protected or b. corrupted.

In the event of a, you will need to change the file from "Read Only" (you may need to be an administrator in your OS to do this). For b, you will need to delete the Addons.txt file completely.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-24-10, 04:22 AM   #4
Larsonya
A Murloc Raider
Ive tried ACP and it didnt help.

The character's folder is indeed "read only", but i can not change it. I mean i can, but after i change it it still stays "read only". Using win xp btw. All files inside the folder are not "read only" only the actuall folder is. I have deleted addons.txt. Still havingg the same issue tho.
04-24-10, 04:38 AM   #5
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exit WoW. Rename the folder.
You will lose your settings for this char but WoW should create a new folder on the next start.
04-24-10, 05:45 AM   #6
Larsonya
A Murloc Raider
Ive tried renaming or even deleting complete character's folder. If i rename, it stays renamed. If i delete, it stays deleted. Wow doesnt create new folder after log in.
04-24-10, 06:46 AM   #7
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Larsonya View Post
Ive tried renaming or even deleting complete character's folder. If i rename, it stays renamed. If i delete, it stays deleted. Wow doesnt create new folder after log in.
If wow does not create a new folder for your char there are two reasons
I can think of.

WoW-Client has no right to do so ... then try running wow with admin privileges.
Or you're looking at a wrong folder ... make sure you have only one copy
of wow and make sure you start the wow-client from this folder.
04-24-10, 08:40 AM   #8
Larsonya
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
If wow does not create a new folder for your char there are two reasons
I can think of.

WoW-Client has no right to do so ... then try running wow with admin privileges.
Or you're looking at a wrong folder ... make sure you have only one copy
of wow and make sure you start the wow-client from this folder.
Ok i have resolved the issue with folder not being created or renamed. It creates a new folder if i delete the old one or if i rename it.

That being said, my original problem still remains. Even if i disable all addons (if i open addon.txt all addon lines are disabled) or if i delete any saved variables file inside the character folder, when i log in, addons are enabled again. Also i can not enable any other addon apart from those that are enabled by "buggy default". The only solution to rly disable addons on this character i to remove the addons from the interface folder, but then my other characters can't use them.
04-24-10, 08:48 AM   #9
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Ok, from here on this is probably an addon problem

A list of your addons could help. Espescially if you have
addons that influence the loading of other addons like
AddonLoader.
04-24-10, 11:41 AM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
It's not an addon problem, because addons aren't loaded yet at the addon menu on the character selection screen.

Have you tried running the Repair Tool for WoW?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-24-10, 12:51 PM   #11
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

He said he did in the OP.
04-25-10, 01:10 AM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Ah yep. I didn't read that again and had forgotten if he had taken that step.

04-25-10, 05:28 AM   #13
Larsonya
A Murloc Raider
yep i did the repair thing.

Here is the list of addons. As you can see for this character they are all disabled, but on character selection screen they are not. Even if i disable them all they still apear on log in and when i log out they are enabled again on character selection screen.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5540/addonlist1.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8261/addonlist2.jpg

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Strange problem with addons