Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-09, 07:12 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,893
Donations for Authors

Authors spend countless hours developing, debugging, and supporting their addons. WoWInterface supports these authors' contributions to the community, and has provided them with another visible way to receive some form of benefit for these contributions.

Now in addition to allowing authors to show a donation link on their file description page, we have created a donation overlay that will show any time someone downloads an addon on which the author has enabled donation requests. Authors have the ability to turn on this overlay when they update their AddOns. As well, we also now support Pledgie donation links in addition to PayPal. More infomation about how to set up PayPal or Pledgie for use with our overlay or your file description is in our Author Donation FAQ.

In no way should you feel pressured to donate to an author, however, should you wish to show your support for the time which they have invested, feel free to do so. There is an option to turn off the overlay notices if you wish not to see them. More information about enabling and disabling your ability to see them is in our User Donation FAQ.

Also, please note that when our new updater is ready, we will be coming up with a way to have donation links for authors available on it as well.

Thank you to Tekkub for his assistance in providing the information on how to set up a Pledgie account.

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-24-09 at 09:25 PM.
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 07:53 PM   #2
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Torhal's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,026
Kudos to the WoWI team!
__________________
Whenever someone says "pls" because it's shorter than "please", I say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".

Author of Revelation, Spamalyzer, TravelAgent, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Torhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 08:01 PM   #3
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!
 
Cralor's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 767
Awesome! Still needs some debugging / fixing, though. But the idea is wonderful! Great job!!
__________________
Never be satisfied with satisfactory.
Cralor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 08:10 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,893
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
Awesome! Still needs some debugging / fixing, though. But the idea is wonderful! Great job!!
Post any bugs you find in it in the Site Bugs forum, please.
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 08:15 PM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Yhor's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,077
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post


Thank you to Tekkub for his assistance in providing the information on how to set up a Pledgie account.
Would it be possible to get a minimal 'user tutorial' as well? I've used Pledgie a couple times, and had no issue with it, save one. I normally have to reload pages because I'm a paranoid nutjob and my settings don't get saved (namely, donating anonymously). Although, it would be a good incentive for the users to actually be able to "show their support". I just get wierded out if I visit a website and still see my name (username) still there from the last time I made a donation. Yeah, I really am a nutjob .

To the rest of the new features, and the support you all here are giving the authors in defense of their rights, I applaud you in being a class act.
Yhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 08:48 PM   #6
Tekkub
Featured Artist
 
Tekkub's Avatar
Featured
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 952
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Yeah, I really am a nutjob .
Yea I don't want you nutmoney. I will, however, gladly accept your nutbutter.

I'll see if I can get a lil FAQ tossed together later tonight that san be added to the dialog box. But first, I need to get all my addon donation settings set up.

Ah thank god I know how to write scripts, that'd take forever without one.
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 09:05 PM   #7
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 279
Despite the fact that I don't even bother with donations, this is...tempting. Good job guys...and gals .
__________________
Tristanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 04:07 AM   #8
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake
 
Fuzzywuzzy's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 84
Authors spend countless hours developing, debugging, and supporting their addons. WoWInterface supports these authors' contributions to the community, and has provided them with another visible way to receive some form of benefit for these contributions.

In no way should you feel pressured to donate to an author, however, should you wish to show your support for the time which they have invested, feel free to do so.

How can you not feel a bit of pressure?


This is not a for/against donations discussions. I think authors do a great job and deserve it, it's only to show my primary reaction to how i see/read it.


It's a bit like in game adds:

WTS [Enchanting] free your mats, tips are welcome

So yes i do feel pressured even though you say i shouldn't.
Fuzzywuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 06:00 AM   #9
Cladhaire
Salad!
 
Cladhaire's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,933
Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
How can you not feel a bit of pressure?


This is not a for/against donations discussions. I think authors do a great job and deserve it, it's only to show my primary reaction to how i see/read it.


It's a bit like in game adds:

WTS [Enchanting] free your mats, tips are welcome

So yes i do feel pressured even though you say i shouldn't.
No offense mate but this isn't the same thing, and any pressure you are feeling is your own.. nothing any of us can help with.
__________________
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
Cladhaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 06:04 AM   #10
Eggi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
Great addition to the best addon site .

Hope you can fix the bug that the frame shows sometimes without a background.
Eggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 06:10 AM   #11
Tuller
A Black Drake
 
Tuller's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 84
So, is this the preferred method for including donate links from now on? I'm betting yes, since it gives the user the ability to disable donation requests.
Tuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 07:26 AM   #12
haste
Featured Artist
 
haste's Avatar
Premium Member
Featured
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 979
Originally Posted by Tuller View Post
So, is this the preferred method for including donate links from now on? I'm betting yes, since it gives the user the ability to disable donation requests.
It only disables the donation notices. The links created with the BBCode still remains.
haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 08:15 AM   #13
Nitogs
Silent
 
Nitogs's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Will there also be a option to turn it off for the reg user IE not see it at all or are we just gonna be forced to see it? Well actually I mean sitesupporters cause no offense or nothing to any author you put in time and all thats great but its your choice. I dont mind the donate thing on pages and donate to ones I enjoy and use alot if able. But to bug people over and over about it seems a bit more then donation and more along "hey your downloading this you should give me money". Make it one or the other on page or pop-up not both just a bit annoying. Sorry if this makes anybody mad but I already donate to this site not to see ads and to me thats all this is.

Last edited by Nitogs : 03-25-09 at 08:32 AM.
Nitogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 08:40 AM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,528
Did you click the "Disable these notices" link?
__________________
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Seerah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 08:45 AM   #15
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake
 
Fuzzywuzzy's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by Cladhaire View Post
No offense mate but this isn't the same thing, and any pressure you are feeling is your own.. nothing any of us can help with.
I think you missed the point i was trying to make, but i'll leave at that because i cba writing a long essay trying to explain it better. And my beef has more to do with how it was presented more than the actual problem.

And in the end probably just one of those things that annoys me and just me.


Oh ye no offense taken
Fuzzywuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 12:30 PM   #16
Tekkub
Featured Artist
 
Tekkub's Avatar
Featured
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 952
If it annoys you, turn them off, it's that simple.
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 01:04 PM   #17
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,893
Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
How can you not feel a bit of pressure?


This is not a for/against donations discussions. I think authors do a great job and deserve it, it's only to show my primary reaction to how i see/read it.


It's a bit like in game adds:

WTS [Enchanting] free your mats, tips are welcome

So yes i do feel pressured even though you say i shouldn't.
If you can suggest a better way of wording it all, we are always open to suggestions.

Originally Posted by Tuller View Post
So, is this the preferred method for including donate links from now on? I'm betting yes, since it gives the user the ability to disable donation requests.
Nope. You can still have a donation link on your file description if you want. We didn't take that away. This is just another way for you to request donations, if you want to make use of it. As always, the ways in which you wish to ask for donations on our site is completely your choice.
__________________
I'm fine. You know what 'fine' stands for, don't you? Yeah - Freaked Out, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 01:09 PM   #18
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
I think you missed the point i was trying to make, but i'll leave at that because i cba writing a long essay trying to explain it better. And my beef has more to do with how it was presented more than the actual problem.

And in the end probably just one of those things that annoys me and just me.


Oh ye no offense taken
Sometimes it seems people just look for anything, regardless of how small it is, that they can complain about and then they do it. Not so much because they're completely against the notion, but because without the complaint they'd not have the ability to put their opinion forth.

They've provided an excellent means to make up for what the new addon policy has taken away AND they've given users who, like you, will feel forced to donate (how is that even possible?) the means to disable the notification screen.

Coupled with the ability to remove the notification there's a few wonderful tools around the internet that let you completely remove various aspects of webpages that you do not want to see. Use them!
septor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 01:13 PM   #19
Tekkub
Featured Artist
 
Tekkub's Avatar
Featured
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 952
Originally Posted by septor View Post
AND they've given users who, like you, will feel forced to donate (how is that even possible?) the means to disable the notification screen.
I think what he's getting at isn't that he feels "forced"... but rather that because he sees them every time he downloads, he feels guilty if he doesn't donate. And I guess to that extent, he feels guilty if he disables the donation screens without donating.

Hey speaking of, that disable is a global thing right Cair? Maybe you should give a per-addon one as well, so that people that do donate to one addon can hide the reminder for only that addon.
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 01:22 PM   #20
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,893
Interesting idea Tekkub, I'll see what Dolby has to say on how much coding that'd require.
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go BackWoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Donations for Authors

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off