Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-09, 02:32 PM   #141
seancwatson
A Cyclonian
 
seancwatson's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Couldn't you extract the libraries from the files automatically without changing anything? That way it only uses 1 file, the one that's uploaded. It could work in theory. Something tells me that it would be more difficult then it sounds =/
seancwatson is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 02:33 PM   #142
Archangel_Mike
Prince of Provocation
 
Archangel_Mike's Avatar
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Exclamation

Not sure what the hold up is at this point, but if it were not for the Carbonite team I'd have left you guys already.

I have, for a very long time, held the opinion that WoWinterface.com was superior to Curse on all levels. My opinion has changed. You have the guts to stand up to a third party addon updater (wowmatrix) with combine effort, but you can't combine efforts with Curse for your own updater?

So displeased...

Join forces or get on the ball. One addon is shortly becoming no reason for me to keep waiting.
Archangel_Mike is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 02:46 PM   #143
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 130
Somethings that I'd like to see in the updater, not sure if they are in already or are planned, but:
  • Ability to clean out my SavedVariables folder of unused files.
  • Ability to remove old updater droppings (I believe WAU dropped files in addon folders that it used. I think WowMatrix does this too?).
  • Ability to back up my addons directory
  • Ability to back up my WTF directory

That's all for now. Everything else seems to be there, or possible through modules.

Originally Posted by Archangel_Mike View Post
Not sure what the hold up is at this point, but if it were not for the Carbonite team I'd have left you guys already.

I have, for a very long time, held the opinion that WoWinterface.com was superior to Curse on all levels. My opinion has changed. You have the guts to stand up to a third party addon updater (wowmatrix) with combine effort, but you can't combine efforts with Curse for your own updater?

So displeased...

Join forces or get on the ball. One addon is shortly becoming no reason for me to keep waiting.

You're going to find that this a terrible method to get anything from a free community. One single person is developing this tool. That person has classes and probably a life (I'm not accusing anyone of anything!) outside of developing free tools for you.

Unless you've previously sent him money to finish this application quicker, you really have no business demanding anything.
septor is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 02:48 PM   #144
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Spectro's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by Archangel_Mike View Post
Not sure what the hold up is at this point, but if it were not for the Carbonite team I'd have left you guys already.

I have, for a very long time, held the opinion that WoWinterface.com was superior to Curse on all levels. My opinion has changed. You have the guts to stand up to a third party addon updater (wowmatrix) with combine effort, but you can't combine efforts with Curse for your own updater?

So displeased...

Join forces or get on the ball. One addon is shortly becoming no reason for me to keep waiting.
Just because they teamed up to get rid of Wowmatrix doesn't mean they are going to team up for everything in the future. Wowinterface and Curse are still competing websites..
__________________
multiplayermaniacs.com
Spectro is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 02:49 PM   #145
seancwatson
A Cyclonian
 
seancwatson's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by Archangel_Mike View Post
Not sure what the hold up is at this point, but if it were not for the Carbonite team I'd have left you guys already.

I have, for a very long time, held the opinion that WoWinterface.com was superior to Curse on all levels. My opinion has changed. You have the guts to stand up to a third party addon updater (wowmatrix) with combine effort, but you can't combine efforts with Curse for your own updater?

So displeased...

Join forces or get on the ball. One addon is shortly becoming no reason for me to keep waiting.
How dare you keep us waiting for something that is FREE. I cannot believe the audacity of you people

Originally Posted by septor View Post
Somethings that I'd like to see in the updater, not sure if they are in already or are planned, but:
  • Ability to clean out my SavedVariables folder of unused files.
  • Ability to remove old updater droppings (I believe WAU dropped files in addon folders that it used. I think WowMatrix does this too?).
  • Ability to back up my addons directory
  • Ability to back up my WTF directory
That's all for now. Everything else seems to be there, or possible through modules.




You're going to find that this a terrible method to get anything from a free community. One single person is developing this tool. That person has classes and probably a life (I'm not accusing anyone of anything!) outside of developing free tools for you.

Unless you've previously sent him money to finish this application quicker, you really have no business demanding anything.
These would be nice too
seancwatson is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 02:52 PM   #146
Archangel_Mike
Prince of Provocation
 
Archangel_Mike's Avatar
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by seancwatson View Post
How dare you keep us waiting for something that is FREE. I cannot believe the audacity of you people

I see ads. I don't use ad blockers. I'm not making any threats, just giving an ultimatum.


Originally Posted by septor View Post
Unless you've previously sent him money to finish this application quicker, you really have no business demanding anything.
Curse's client is also free.. just fyi

it's not about the price, it's about the choice

Your redundancy leads to the failing of your rebuttals. I made it clear that I have previously preferred WoWI over Curse. You make it clear that Curse and WoWI are competitive. In order for a competition to be warranted, no doubt the ads on this site and theirs are contributing factors. In order for users like myself to contribute, we must visit said sites and click on ads. If I'm not on said site, I won't see the ads and won't click on them.

Curse is offering "almost" everything I need for the exact same "price". So, the fact that I'm even here trying to light a fire under the developer's tail should be taken as a sign that I'm dedicated to the WoWI team, not the adverse.

Last edited by Archangel_Mike : 04-20-09 at 03:02 PM.
Archangel_Mike is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 02:58 PM   #147
seancwatson
A Cyclonian
 
seancwatson's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by Archangel_Mike View Post
Curse's client is also free.. just fyi .. it's not about the price, it's about the choice
Then get rid of Carbonite and use QuestHelper. You can update QH using Curse Client. Problem solved.
seancwatson is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 02:59 PM   #148
tonsusbron
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Post

I thought I saw an addons backup feature in the current old one. Also cleaning I think is a wow tool Blizzard does give us already. Just let it clean and re-download favorites. I'd think there could be an internal link to these pre-made tools with a generic"These arent my tools, go bug them" message.

Outside links are something I gotta get some more on.
tonsusbron is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 03:09 PM   #149
Archangel_Mike
Prince of Provocation
 
Archangel_Mike's Avatar
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by seancwatson View Post
Then get rid of Carbonite and use QuestHelper. You can update QH using Curse Client. Problem solved.
My choice of addon is not in question here. Using an inferior addon to replace a superior one is not a valid solution. Disagreeing with my choice is also invalid. This thread is about addon managers, not addons.

Thanks for trying.

You do, however, solidify that the only reason I could possibly be making these arguments is due to the fact that I like WoWI better than Curse.

Last edited by Archangel_Mike : 04-20-09 at 03:12 PM.
Archangel_Mike is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 03:28 PM   #150
seancwatson
A Cyclonian
 
seancwatson's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by Archangel_Mike View Post
You do, however, solidify that the only reason I could possibly be making these arguments is due to the fact that I like WoWI better than Curse.
Yeah I definitely prefer WoWI over curse. But curse atm is the only site with a decent (I use that term gingerly) updater.

Once WoWI releases their updater, I will only exclusively use addons from here.

Might I suggest trying out TourGuide instead of Carbonite as well? I find it to be superior to Carbonite. You can get it off of here AND Curse.

Last edited by seancwatson : 04-20-09 at 03:32 PM.
seancwatson is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 03:31 PM   #151
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,691
Archangel_Mike, Shirik doesn't need a "fire lit under his tail." Unless you can help code the updater yourself, it will be finished when he can get it finished. Until then, you can be patient just like everyone else.
__________________
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Seerah is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 03:32 PM   #152
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,931
We're working on it as quickly as we can Archangel_Mike. Shirik has to worry about school and work (ie the type he can get actual pay for) first. We're trying though.
__________________
I'm fine. You know what 'fine' stands for, don't you? Yeah - Freaked Out, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
Cairenn is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 03:56 PM   #153
Archangel_Mike
Prince of Provocation
 
Archangel_Mike's Avatar
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by seancwatson View Post
Might I suggest trying out TourGuide instead of Carbonite as well? I find it to be superior to Carbonite. You can get it off of here AND Curse.
Again, thank you for the suggestion, but that's not a valid solution.
  • I hesitate to explain here, but Carbonite addon is more than just a "quest helper" / leveling mod fulfillment. The Carbonite team has insured that it includes many needed addon features the common user wants: Questing, Map, PvP, Inventory, and much much more. It does all these things and has a very small footprint.

That's the reason I use Carbonite, not the reason I want the WoWI team to speed their manager development. Even if I did change to Tourguide (wich I use along with Carbonite by the way) and Questhelper, I'd still use the Curse update manager... because it exists. WoWI's updater does not.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Archangel_Mike, Shirik doesn't need a "fire lit under his tail." Unless you can help code the updater yourself, it will be finished when he can get it finished. Until then, you can be patient just like everyone else.
I don't have to be patient, as said .. um .. how many times before .. the competition is ahead. I would "rather" use WoWI because I like the community and site setup, but I'm not going to boycott a completely usable software package from Curse simply because you say so.

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
We're working on it as quickly as we can Archangel_Mike. Shirik has to worry about school and work (ie the type he can get actual pay for) first. We're trying though.
Thank you for your compassion Cairenn. Please understand that, at this point, I'm just arguing with those who seem to think a simple complaint is unwarranted. You obviously understand my point of view as you have given me a reason for the delay rather than an alternative to somehow diminish my point of view.

Thank you.

Last edited by Archangel_Mike : 04-20-09 at 04:02 PM.
Archangel_Mike is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 04:03 PM   #154
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Vis's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by Archangel_Mike View Post

I'd still use the Curse update manager... because it exists. WoWI's updater does not.

Please see here for instructions on howto use the non-existent updater http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22583
Vis is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 04:11 PM   #155
Archangel_Mike
Prince of Provocation
 
Archangel_Mike's Avatar
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Please see here for instructions on howto use the non-existent updater http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22583
Finally a valid rebuttal, but I regret to inform that I put up with this software as long as I could before finding that it would not update too many of the addons I had chosen. It's just to buggy.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

PS: WoW-Ace has a discontinued updater that works in much the same way. No reason to continue this argument, I need a manager that is up-to-date. AKA: Up-to-date addon manager is non-existent.
Archangel_Mike is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 04:15 PM   #156
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Torhal's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,069
Originally Posted by seancwatson View Post
Couldn't you extract the libraries from the files automatically without changing anything? That way it only uses 1 file, the one that's uploaded. It could work in theory. Something tells me that it would be more difficult then it sounds =/
No. The AddOn's TOC file points to a specific library path. Without modifying the TOC, it would then be pointing to a non-existent file and WoW would refuse to load it.
__________________
Whenever someone says "pls" because it's shorter than "please", I say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".

Author of Revelation, Spamalyzer, TravelAgent, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Torhal is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 04:18 PM   #157
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,931
Originally Posted by Archangel_Mike View Post
Thank you for your compassion Cairenn. Please understand that, at this point, I'm just arguing with those who seem to think a simple complaint is unwarranted. You obviously understand my point of view as you have given me a reason for the delay rather than an alternative to somehow diminish my point of view.

Thank you.
You're welcome. We do understand completely where you are coming from. We're frustrated too. The whole situation sucks. Honestly, it's been a bad month (not just week) for the entire community, authors and users alike. First the UI Policy, now this. We all wish that things were different. Unfortunately, they are what they are. We (WoWI) are doing what we can to help on stuff as quickly as we can, but there's only so much we can do in X period of time.

And I know our users don't really want to hear this, which is understandable, but I hope they are willing to understand it from our side of things: Our updater is important, we know that, and we're trying to get it out as quickly as we can. But, Shirik's "real life" is more important to us. He is doing all of this voluntarily. Making sure that he does okay in his classes, that he can take work that will pay him so he can afford to live, etc, is to us by far more important than our updater.

The updater will be nice to have, no question, I can't wait to have it myself. But it isn't "necessary". Our users can still get all of their mods from the site without it. Not as easily or conveniently, agreed. But they can still get them. And, if you've got it set up right (taking advantage of our "favourites" list and email notifications of updates sent to you), it isn't that bad doing it manually.

So yeah, we completely understand where you are coming from and don't disagree with your "complaint" in the slightest. We wish it could be different. Just please know that we are doing what we can as quickly as we can, without putting unfair pressure on our volunteers.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-20-09 at 04:49 PM.
Cairenn is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 04:43 PM   #158
rjwilson01
A Kobold Labourer
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
WOWInterface download manager link

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...dows.html#info
Is the link I have in my other window - I've just downloaded it so I hope it works
rjwilson01 is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 04:47 PM   #159
Archangel_Mike
Prince of Provocation
 
Archangel_Mike's Avatar
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Wink

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
You're welcome. We do understand completely where you are coming from. We're frustrated too. The whole situation sucks. Honestly, it's been a bad month (not just week) for the entire community, authors and users alike. First the UI Policy, now this. We all wish that things were different. Unfortunately, they are what they are. We (WoWI) are doing what we can to help on stuff as quickly as we can, but there's only so much we can do in X period of time.

And I know our users don't really want to hear this, which is understandable, but I hope they are willing to understand it from our side of things: Our updater is important, we know that, and we're trying to get it out as quickly as we can. But, Shirik's "real life" is more important to us. He is doing all of this voluntarily. Making sure that he does okay in his classes, that he can take work that will pay him so he can afford to live, etc, is to us by far more important than our updater. The updater will be nice to have, no question. But it isn't "necessary". Our users can still get all of their mods from the site without it. Not as easily or conveniently, agreed. But they can still get them. And, if you've got it set up right (taking advantage of our "favourites" list and email notifications of updates sent to you), it isn't that bad doing it manually.

So yeah, we completely understand where you are coming from. We wish it could be different. We're doing what we can as quickly as we can, without putting unfair pressure on our volunteers.
Thank you very much for such an in depth conclusion.

I continue to visit WoWI for Carbonite and will do so until either your manager is complete or Curse adds a "donation button" to their manager. The reason for my upset is due to the little income you receive through your ads and how much you are losing because of the issues I bring to the table. (loss of user frequency)

I will patiently await your updater and agree that real life is paramount. Just understand that my complaint is more of a concern that you are losing revenue during the absence of users like myself. When yours is complete, I will no doubt weigh it against the features and usability of Curse and have strong favoritism to WoWI if it is comparable. I believe it will be.

I have clicked and used the Domino's pizza coupon on your site just a few moments ago and, if it makes you feel any better, my impatience is now directed at an economy car with a bright blue and red logo on top *chuckles*.
Archangel_Mike is offline  
Unread 04-20-09, 04:59 PM   #160
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,931
Originally Posted by Archangel_Mike View Post
Thank you very much for such an in depth conclusion.

I continue to visit WoWI for Carbonite and will do so until either your manager is complete or Curse adds a "donation button" to their manager. The reason for my upset is due to the little income you receive through your ads and how much you are losing because of the issues I bring to the table. (loss of user frequency)

I will patiently await your updater and agree that real life is paramount. Just understand that my complaint is more of a concern that you are losing revenue during the absence of users like myself. When yours is complete, I will no doubt weigh it against the features and usability of Curse and have strong favoritism to WoWI if it is comparable. I believe it will be.

I have clicked and used the Domino's pizza coupon on your site just a few moments ago and, if it makes you feel any better, my impatience is now directed at an economy car with a bright blue and red logo on top *chuckles*.
Cairenn is offline  
Closed Thread

Go BackWoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Our UI Manager

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off