Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-09, 11:39 AM   #1
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant
 
iindigo's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 32
Does Blizz frown on non-addon folder-based mods?

So I was wondering, what exactly is Blizzard's stance on things that can be changed by merely dropping a folder (NOT an MPQ data file) into the Interface or Data folders? Like the mods that hosted here that, for example, change fishing bobber sounds and make the login screen blank.

I ask, because I've found a way to restore the original or BC login screens using this method and would like to share it, but I don't want Blizzard banning me because such actions aren't condoned.
iindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 11:43 AM   #2
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
 
jonathon's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 179
It's been a while since I've read the EULA and TOS (yes I read them both). I believe they don't like you changing things like the load in screen. the bober sound is doable through hooking the event and directing it to a different mp3, just like the scorpian mod for death knights. So I see nothing wrong with that.

As a guide I would say if you have to ask, it's not worth trying.
__________________
hackers always learn.. thats why there are security patches.
jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 11:44 AM   #3
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Vis's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,787
I think the general rule of thumb is something like: If you can do it within their guidelines, in game, without reverse engineering their program or running a third party application outside of the WoW environment, you should be ok.

That's my basic understanding
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 11:56 AM   #4
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant
 
iindigo's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by jonathon View Post
It's been a while since I've read the EULA and TOS (yes I read them both). I believe they don't like you changing things like the load in screen. the bober sound is doable through hooking the event and directing it to a different mp3, just like the scorpian mod for death knights. So I see nothing wrong with that.

As a guide I would say if you have to ask, it's not worth trying.
A number of the sound-modifying "addons" I've checked on this site so far are installed by dropping them in /World of Warcraft/Data/Sound/, and some have even been around for a while now without being bothered. Another mod that's not listed on this site, which changes Kel'Thuzad's voice and combat sounds into their pre-BC versions was even posted to the official UI forums. That's why I asked.

Examples:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...batSounds.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...dLikeBows.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ompSounds.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ginScreen.html
iindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 04:00 PM   #5
Republic
Paladin
 
Republic's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
So I was wondering, what exactly is Blizzard's stance on things that can be changed by merely dropping a folder (NOT an MPQ data file) into the Interface or Data folders? Like the mods that hosted here that, for example, change fishing bobber sounds and make the login screen blank.

I ask, because I've found a way to restore the original or BC login screens using this method and would like to share it, but I don't want Blizzard banning me because such actions aren't condoned.
Why not ask Blizzard? I don't think anyone here speaks for them. Who knows? I sure don't.
Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 05:14 PM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Yhor's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,077
I can't source it, but I've seen a Blue post that 'reflected' that the opinion is generally ..overriding sound files that aren't a class skill (like stealth, for example), is okay, but to override video or sound files that interact with other players or give a player an unfair advantage... will get you hit by a big fat hammer of banning.

It SEEMS like your addon falls into the 'look the other way' category, but I'd weigh the opinions of someone who is credible with these types of modifications, before sharing it. I doubt you get a solid yes or no from Blizzard, I've never seen one anyway.
Yhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 07:45 PM   #7
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Spectro's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 141
I'm pretty sure Blizzard doesn't want people messing with the login screen. I find it similar to messing with textures.
__________________
multiplayermaniacs.com
Spectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 08:09 PM   #8
ChaosWolf
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15
Altering the login screen, not a good idea.

Sound overrides, like those that change the DK mounting-up sound or cut out the aggro shriek or Warlock minion babble, those are OK. Nothing is actually altering the game data - it's just a case of the addon casting Misdirect, so to speak.
ChaosWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 08:31 PM   #9
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 894
I look at it this way ...

As stated above most of these sound mods are done by dropping a new sound file (named exactly as the sound you want to replace in the MPQ files) into the data folder (with the correct folder structure).

If this was any reason to get banned or was against any rules in the EULA then this "hole" would have not been programmed into WoW in the first place or would have been "patched".

When the game goes to play a sound the ones in the data folder override those of the MPQ. This is by Blizzards own design. It has been there since BETA. If it was an issue with Blizz I think they would have changed some of the games code to no longer load sound files from this location.

Just my 2
Sepioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 09:02 PM   #10
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant
 
iindigo's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I look at it this way ...

As stated above most of these sound mods are done by dropping a new sound file (named exactly as the sound you want to replace in the MPQ files) into the data folder (with the correct folder structure).

If this was any reason to get banned or was against any rules in the EULA then this "hole" would have not been programmed into WoW in the first place or would have been "patched".

When the game goes to play a sound the ones in the data folder override those of the MPQ. This is by Blizzards own design. It has been there since BETA. If it was an issue with Blizz I think they would have changed some of the games code to no longer load sound files from this location.

Just my 2
That's pretty much my line of thought on the matter. If Blizzard didn't want people doing it, surely they would have patched it out ages ago...
iindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 10:48 PM   #11
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Spectro's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
That's pretty much my line of thought on the matter. If Blizzard didn't want people doing it, surely they would have patched it out ages ago...
That's not true at all. Plenty of people use addons and external programs that Blizzard doesn't approve of.
__________________
multiplayermaniacs.com
Spectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-09, 11:13 PM   #12
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 894
Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
That's not true at all. Plenty of people use addons and external programs that Blizzard doesn't approve of.
And those are typically HACKs .. like Glider.

These type of "addons" have been around for quite a while. One of the first one I remember is one that changed the soung of the fishing bobber. I have never heard of someone getting banned from these sound changing mods.

Modifying the MPQ files is 100% against the rules but this does not do that. It uses functions built into the game by Blizzard.

I highly doubt anyone will get banned for using these type of addons. If they where going to ban for this I would HOPE they would give out some sort of warning before they do to let people remove said mods. Also if it was against the rules and Blizzard was to lazy to (or for whatever reason can't) fix the problem and determined this was against the rules one would think their little Warden program would have caught it or be told to look for such a thing.

Until I hear from Blizzard (or this site) I will continue to use these mods.
Sepioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-09, 03:50 AM   #13
Phanx
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Phanx's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,747
As Blizzard removed the ability for drop-in files to override models and non-interface textures long ago, I would tend to believe that if they had a problem with people overriding sounds they would have removed that by now, too.
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-09, 04:41 AM   #14
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
Another mod that's not listed on this site, which changes Kel'Thuzad's voice and combat sounds into their pre-BC versions was even posted to the official UI forums. That's why I asked.
I'm interested in this mod. I've only heard KT when we kill the cat, but he sounds undistinguished like that other lich in DTK. Sounds like his throat is dry and hoarse.
Psychophan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-09, 05:48 AM   #15
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
That's not true at all. Plenty of people use addons and external programs that Blizzard doesn't approve of.
In the line of addons - if it can be done with LUA, they can't really "not approve of" - they may not like the behaviour, but there's nothing they can really say.

They may make it where the LUA in question doesn't work anymore, etc, etc, but they have always said if it can be done with LUA it's fair game.
__________________

Marth



Marthisdil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-09, 12:05 PM   #16
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
PerfectH's Avatar
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 137
I prey every night for Blizzard to allow us to revert back to the original or "Vanilla" WoW login screen.

Every night. Wet dreams about it... though I think I should have kept that part to myself
__________________
I might fail at AddOn creativity...but damn do I love Coca-Cola!
PerfectH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-09, 12:26 PM   #17
klamb213
Banned
 
klamb213's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 28
Blizzardf doesn't like you messing with the data folders. They do actually scan your data folder from time to time and if it isn't where it isn't the right size they'll investigate. They do this to prevent people from changing models. Gnomes into ogres for pvp is on example.
klamb213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-09, 11:08 AM   #18
Tavil
Premium Member
 
Tavil's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
Blizzard needs to just give in and add an option to choose the login theme.
I want to use the original theme so bad. I hate the Wrath one. That damn dragon is annoying as hell.
Tavil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-09, 03:39 PM   #19
Starfury
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
 
Starfury's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
I'm interested in this mod. I've only heard KT when we kill the cat, but he sounds undistinguished like that other lich in DTK. Sounds like his throat is dry and hoarse.
I never understood why they changed him either (maybe the voice actor couldn't come back, since they did add some new lines for him). The old voice sounds way better.

Originally Posted by Tavil View Post
Blizzard needs to just give in and add an option to choose the login theme.
I want to use the original theme so bad. I hate the Wrath one. That damn dragon is annoying as hell.
The music and dragon sounds on the login screen bothered me too (seem louder than in-game sound/music).

I took those sounds and just lowered their amplitude and put them in their proper places in the data folder, as I wanted the sounds to still be there just not so annoyingly loud. Had that for some time now.

If blizzard announces that they don't want people doing such things then I'd remove them. I doubt they really mind though or as Phanx said they would have blocked the ability to override sounds using the data folder.
Starfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-09, 05:09 PM   #20
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 399
I downloaded an "addon" to replace all the ambiance sound because frankly, it was doing my head in.
*constant machine humming* *constant fire* *Yourstruly bashes his head in*
No seriously it was really getting on my nerves and before you say "just turn off ambiance sound in sound options", well I did and half of the ambiance are still sound effects..

In my opinion blizzard screwed up there and probably I can't hear the thunder from Zul'aman boss but who cares.... the ambiance is gone.

Im with the rest, if they haven't removed the "feature" then it's just an "add-on".
v6o is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go BackWoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Does Blizz frown on non-addon folder-based mods?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off