05-07-09, 01:58 PM   #1
KiraDouji
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Red face Siena's Gem Viewer Dead?

Just getting back into WoW and I found, much to my dismay, that this helpful little addon is completely borked! The error it throws has already been recorded by someone in it's comments section and the author hasn't replied in some time. I'm really not suited to fixing it myself, but I'll give lots of e-love to whomever can update, replicate, or patch it! I already tried looking for a replacement and nothing else comes close.

Thank you!

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...GemViewer.html

Last edited by KiraDouji : 05-07-09 at 02:51 PM.
05-07-09, 02:42 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Looks like it was a very neat addon. I had never heard of it till now. If you are just looking for the ability to search gems by color, stat etc, you may want to take a look at Gemhelper. It's a standalone addon but works wonders when you are trying to fill a slot.

http://wowinterface.com/downloads/in...GemHelper.html

*note: You do not have to be a JC to use it either
05-07-09, 02:50 PM   #3
KiraDouji
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Yes, that addon will let you do that, but the beauty of the Gem Viewer addon was something entirely different: It let you search the AH by specific filters for the gems. If I didn't have a second monitor, I would probably find Gem Helper more, well, helpful, but I could just mouse over to wowhead and do the same thing. Perhaps I should add a link to the main post.
05-07-09, 03:16 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I had googled the addon you posted, but wasn't sure if you could use the functionality of Gemhelper to accomplish the same idea. Namely finding the gem you wanted, then being able to type/link the gem into the AH to be able to purchase specifically what you wanted without having to tab out.
05-07-09, 03:34 PM   #5
KiraDouji
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

True that. I don't know, maybe it's just the whole issue of change. I really liked that interface, after all
05-07-09, 04:31 PM   #6
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It definitely looked really nice and useful. If I had found that one while it was still operating, I probably would never have started using Gemhelper. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything like that one before. Really a nice idea to integrate Gem stat searching with the AH.
05-09-09, 11:27 PM   #7
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by KiraDouji View Post
Yes, that addon will let you do that, but the beauty of the Gem Viewer addon was something entirely different: It let you search the AH by specific filters for the gems. If I didn't have a second monitor, I would probably find Gem Helper more, well, helpful, but I could just mouse over to wowhead and do the same thing. Perhaps I should add a link to the main post.
Hmmm. Well the way I see it you could go 2 ways :

1) Find out how to fix the error in siena's GemViewer. You could get a programmer to take a look at it. For anyone interested in it I've quoted it below :

[2009/01/21 16:37:44-162-x1]: Interface\FrameXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua:803: attempt to index local 'frame' (a number value):
sienasGemViewer-2.1.0\sienasGemViewer.lua:476: in function `SGV_Filter_OnLoad'
<string>:"*:OnLoad":1: in function <[string "*:OnLoad"]:1>
For all we know it could be a simple fix.

2) Ask Xinhuan to see if he can get the same functionality put in his version of GemViewer
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
06-07-09, 06:59 AM   #8
sna
A Murloc Raider
I've updated sgv to 3.1.3.
I had no idea that someone, beside me, uses it
06-07-09, 09:42 AM   #9
KiraDouji
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by sna View Post
<3!!!! Thank you!
06-07-09, 11:11 PM   #10
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by sna View Post
Now that I've seen it in action, there's at least 3 users To top it all off, I've added it to my personal "must have" addons list

Very nice addon.
06-09-09, 01:04 PM   #11
sna
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Now that I've seen it in action, there's at least 3 users To top it all off, I've added it to my personal "must have" addons list

Very nice addon.
thank you

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Siena's Gem Viewer Dead?