05-12-10, 09:57 AM   #1
Rooke_Goldenleaf
A Defias Bandit
Quest Tracker FPS issue

Hello,

Carbonite! First, I want to say that I love this addon and thank you very much for making it.

Short Version:
Tracking achievements in Quest tracker causes a FPS loss when mobs are killed. As more achievements are tracked, the larger the FPS loss becomes to the point of freezing the game for a few seconds. Removing achievements from the Quest Tracker resolves this issue.

Long Version:
Recently, I started tracking achievements in Quest Tracker as a to-do list. I noticed that when mobs died, my FPS would drop for a moment then return to normal. Going from 60 FPS to around 18 FPS for a second or two. Over a couple of weeks, I slowly added more achievements, ones that are close to being finished, to Quest Tracker. I noticed the FPS drop and duration was worsening. Two days ago, I was soloing Chillmaw when a paladin came up and KS'ed two of the three bombers. When he killed the bombers, my game froze up for about 6 seconds. I thought I was disconnected.

Since I had not turned in the quest for defeating 15 Twilights near the tournament grounds. I logged out, disabled Carbonite and killing Twilights did not result in a FPS drop. I re-enabled Carbonite, removed the achievements and this time killing Twilights did not result in a FPS drop. Adding several achievements to the Tracker list, then killing Twilights resulted in the FPS drop I was experiencing.

After I have finished my dailies, I minimize Quest Tracker. In raids and heroics, I minimize the Quest Tracker. I do not remember having a FPS issue with Quest Tracker minimized and killing things. This may be related to the bug reported by Ziwcam.

05-13-10, 02:07 PM   #2
Ziwcam
A Defias Bandit
Indeed. Today, I felt compelled for some reason to check back to see if there was an update to my thread, and happened to find this at the top of the list.

It gave me something new to test. So, I untracked all achievements, and went to Dalaran. I was sitting at a stable 45-47 FPS. When I tracked even just one achievement (Glory of the Hero), my FPS dropped to 25-27.

The bug seems to be related to the number of goals of a particular achievement. If I instead tracked "Did Somebody Order a Knuckle Sandwich" (which only has 1 trackable goal), I only lost 2-3 FPS.

05-16-10, 11:33 AM   #3
brownpaw
A Kobold Labourer
I loved Carbonite, and when I picked up WoW again a month ago, it was the first thing I installed! But lately I had problems; whenever the game reported any progress on a quest, be it an item looted or a monster killed, the game would choke up for a few seconds, and I mean literally to the point of 2 or 3 frames per second during this short period. Extremely annoying. I was also doing some achievements in Outland and I noticed how slow things were running... definitely didn't seem right for a 5.5 year old game on my quad-core machine. But I shrugged it off til this morning when I decided to check the forums.

Lo and behold, I was having this exact same problem and turning off achievement tracking fixed everything. For the record, I was sitting in Un'Goro with the "Well Read" and "Looking for Multitudes" achievements tracked, and I was getting 30fps with most my video settings on pretty low. I untracked those and my fps immediately jumped to 60. I then turned all the video settings up to high and restarted the game and... yep, still 60.

But I just did want to note that in addition to the performance issue, it also affected me with quest progress. Very annoying when trying to level on my alt.

Looking forward to a fix for this... in the meantime, thanks for a great addon!!

05-16-10, 11:49 AM   #4
naaru
A Murloc Raider
Simmilar.

I just happen to be questing in general, I am hitting 208fps, soon as carbonite is enabled i drop right down to 70fps. I have only just noticed this as of last night and this has certainly never ever happened before.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GTX 260 so can certainly handle the game, soon as i disable the carbonite addon my fps shoots right back up to the 200 range. This has never happened before I have even done a complete fresh install and yet still the problem exists. I mean by fresh install delete WTF, Interface etc etc.

Has anyone else experienced this all of a sudden?

05-16-10, 01:03 PM   #5
naaru
A Murloc Raider
Watched Quest Areas On Map

If you go to Quest tab, and untick watched quest areas and one color per quest My fps shot back up. It's still extremely strange, as I've never ever needed to do this before.

05-16-10, 01:19 PM   #6
naaru
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by naaru View Post
If you go to Quest tab, and untick watched quest areas and one color per quest My fps shot back up. It's still extremely strange, as I've never ever needed to do this before.
Sorry i was wrong

05-27-10, 08:04 AM   #7
Phantasia
A Murloc Raider
Hi all,

Same thing happening here...

Strangelly, after disabling Carbonite, logging on and re-enabling to log again; the issue got resolved.

05-28-10, 10:58 PM   #8
Aalwein
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I was also having the issue, having used Carbonite for several months and never having any problems. I was tracking the achievement "Well Read" and also the "Quests Complete" for Hellfire Peninsula (not at the same time) and upon turning off the tracking, FPS jumped back to normal.

05-30-10, 06:34 PM   #9
juldę
A Kobold Labourer
Was working on loremaster using carbonite 3.3.3 and started noticing some major computer lag . . . did a quick look in task manager for something that might have been eating up CPU cycles and noticed nothing out of the ordinary . . . until I looked at memory usage. Wow.exe was using almost 3.4gig of my 4gig total physical memory, and had snagged another 2.5gig of virtual memory. I felt a bit of panic and closed the game before thinking (kinda buzzed, it's sunday and i'm relaxing, sue me), but here's what I know:

Gateway DX4200-09 with AMD Phenom 9150e 1.8GHz quad core
4gig physical memory, 800MHz FSB
Windows7 Pro 64bit
GForce 9800gt, 2gig onboard
I quested for a few hours, knocked out about 150 quests in various zones around Kalimdor, then moved into Terrokar out of boredom, picked up every quest in Allerian and started knocking them out. It was here that I first started noticing the slowdown, eventually it got to the point of sub-1fps whenever I progressed with a quest objective.

Anywho, it seems likely that the fps drop is caused by the memory hole. Hope this helps.

06-16-10, 05:18 AM   #10
Shaker5585
A Defias Bandit
for some reason once i entered the outlands carbonite no longer showed me quest objectives on the map...anyone know why? please help thanks

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Quest Tracker FPS issue