Unread 02-02-15, 09:13 AM   #1
Resike
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The Big Taint thread

Since many of the addons suffer from taints, and it's very hard to track some of them, i tought it would be a good idea to make a thread to create the list of the most common taints, and how to avoid them.
If any of you have more usefull information from any of the existing taints, i would like to ask you to share it in this thread.

Dropdown taint

Error Message: [ADDON_ACTION_BLOCKED] AddOn "AddonName" tried to call the protected function "CompactRaidFrame1-8:Show()".

Caused by: This taint happens when you use Blizzard's built in dropdown menu templates from the UIDropDownMenu.lua, UIDropDownMenuTemplates.xml and EasyMenu.lua. The taint sooner or later will spread to the CompactRaidFrames, because it's using the same templates when you right click on raid members. Additionally it can also infect the Battleground dropdown queues, making it impossible to queue to battlegrounds.

Spread by: UIDropDownMenu_SetSelectedName, UIDropDownMenu_SetSelectedValue, UIDropDownMenu_SetSelectedID calls.

Fix: Use NoTaint UIDropDownMenu instead of the Blizzard ones, or use your own customly created dropdowns.

ActionButton taint

Error Message: [ADDON_ACTION_BLOCKED] AddOn 'AddonName' tried to call the protected function 'ActionButton1-12:Show()'.

Caused by: It's pretty similar to the dropdown taint, mostly spread by using templates from ActionBarFrame.xml, ActionButton.lua and ActionButtonTemplate.xml. Also can be caused by ActionButton_ShowOverlayGlow and ActionButton_HideOverlayGlow API calls.

Spread by: ActionButton_ShowOverlayGlow, ActionButton_HideOverlayGlow calls.

Fix: I have a half-fix notaint template lib coming for this soon.

More coming soon...
Resike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-15, 09:13 AM   #2
Resike
A Molten Giant
Reserved for the future.
Unread 02-02-15, 01:21 PM   #3
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

See if you can make any sense out of this one:

Code:
8/22 20:29:10.594  Interface\FrameXML\WatchFrame.lua:328
8/22 20:29:10.594  An action was blocked in combat because of taint from Overhead - NamePlate690:SetScale()
8/22 20:29:10.594      Interface\AddOns\Overhead\Overhead.lua:161 Initialize()
8/22 20:29:10.594      Interface\AddOns\Overhead\Overhead.lua:224
Overhead is my nameplate addon, it has no fancy features, just skinning the nameplates.
This happened before 6.0 though.
p3lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-15, 02:27 PM   #4
semlar
A Molten Giant

You can't call SetScale on a nameplate in combat because they're protected unit frames, I don't know what that has to do with the watchframe though.
semlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-15, 03:25 PM   #5
Resike
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
See if you can make any sense out of this one:

Code:
8/22 20:29:10.594  Interface\FrameXML\WatchFrame.lua:328
8/22 20:29:10.594  An action was blocked in combat because of taint from Overhead - NamePlate690:SetScale()
8/22 20:29:10.594      Interface\AddOns\Overhead\Overhead.lua:161 Initialize()
8/22 20:29:10.594      Interface\AddOns\Overhead\Overhead.lua:224
Overhead is my nameplate addon, it has no fancy features, just skinning the nameplates.
This happened before 6.0 though.
Thats intresting, since if i know well WatchFrame.lua got removed from the game, it's called Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker.lua now and it's an AddOn.
Unread 02-02-15, 06:02 PM   #6
Phanx
No Life!

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Thats intresting, since if i know well WatchFrame.lua got removed from the game, it's called Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker.lua now and it's an AddOn.
Yes, as he mentioned in his post, the error was from pre-6.0, so it's probably not relevant to anything at all at this point.
Please don’t PM me about addon bugs or code questions. Post a comment or forum thread instead!
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-15, 08:52 PM   #7
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
You can't call SetScale on a nameplate in combat because they're protected unit frames, I don't know what that has to do with the watchframe though.
The odd thing is that this happened while not in combat, happened on login in a city.
Might not be relevant any more, but it still boggled me when I encountered it.
p3lim is offline   Reply With Quote

Go BackWoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Tutorials & Other Helpful Info. » The Big Taint thread