12-17-10, 10:55 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
The Cataclysm hits WoWInterface!

As you can clearly see, the effects of the Cataclysm have rippled out far enough now that they have even affected WoWInterface! It has definitely shaken things up here. The Find tab fell away completely, much like the shoreline in Tanaris. Just as the Barrens have sprouted new growth, so too has our AddOns tab, with beautiful icons blooming for each of the different categories. And the same as the Trolls, Gnomes, Worgen and Goblins have new homes, many of the different menu items have moved to new places on the site.

New Features and Changes:

MenuBar - many of the headings across the menubar have dropdowns now, giving you a listing of the various options within.
  • Addons - Categories (with a sub menu), Your Favorites, Upload AddOn, Author Portals, Survival Guide, Options (with a sub menu) and Search AddOns
  • Forums - Categories (with a sub menu), Today's Posts, New posts, Mark Forums Read, Subscribed Threads, Buddy List, Members List, Options (with a sub menu) and Search Forums
  • Author - Upload & Update, My AddOn List, SVN Control Panel, GIT Control Panel and Author Portal
  • Your name - This is where you will see if you have any new Private Messages or AddOn Favorites that have been updated (there will be a number after your name that combines both of those numbers). You'll also be able to get a direct link to your own Forum Posts, AddOn Comments, your Profile, User Control Panel, and a place to Edit Email & Password and Log Out
AddOns category page - a few of the download categories have been combined into new master categories and the master categories have been rearranged a bit
  • Stand-Alone AddOns are now listed first, then Featured Projects, followed by Compilations & Suites, then the new master category Developer & Utilities and finally the new master category Optional
  • Developer & Utilities - the new home for Libraries, Developer Utilities and the WoW Tools & Utilities categories
  • Optional - the new home for Beta-version AddOns, Plug-Ins & Patches and Outdated Mods
  • The center column gives you two options to see What's Hot, and the Latest new or updated files. You can either see individual AddOns/Feature Projects or you can view the same listings but for Compilations and Suites
  • The right column now shows a large Upload your AddOn button, links to our Facebook page and Twitter feed, the 15 Minutes of Fame block, link to our updater (Minion), a few of the latest WoWI news posts, link to Seerah's Pick of the Week, some of the latest file comments, link to our Survival guide and a few of the latest Zam news posts
AddOn pages - individual addon info pages have been rearranged a bit as well
  • Minor layout changes on the AddOn Info tab
  • Clicking on the single screenshot on the right will bring up the full sized screenshot and the ability to view any others the author may have uploaded
  • Also, there is now a Facebook "like" button on each of the individual addon pages, so you can let the world know what addons you can't live without!
Still to come - there is a redesign of the Author Portals in the works as well as portal notifications for authors.

We hope you like the new layout. Feedback is always appreciated though. Please post any comments, suggestions, complaints or criticisms in this thread.

Last edited by Cairenn : 12-17-10 at 10:57 PM.
12-17-10, 11:03 PM   #2
WillsDM
A Murloc Raider

Looking good so far, keep up the great work Cairenn and crew.
12-18-10, 01:23 AM   #3
Tyrnal
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

very nice guys, liking what I'm seein' so far
12-18-10, 01:28 AM   #4
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
OMG! I was shocked! I love it!
12-18-10, 02:29 AM   #5
karmamuscle
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Looks great.
12-18-10, 06:45 AM   #6
Ultranutter
Premium Member
Great job on the new look to WowInterface!

I really like the site and use it a lot

Thanks!
12-18-10, 08:37 AM   #7
Zwerg
A Murloc Raider
very nice, i love it!
12-18-10, 09:04 AM   #8
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Love the new look, but does this mean Git is active on this site?
12-18-10, 09:28 AM   #9
briped
A Kobold Labourer
Great design. Sadly it broke WoW UI Updater, hope it will be updated ASAP. Keeping addons up to date manually is a pia.

Suggestion: Add tapatalk support on the formums. Cost nothing brings frindlyness to mobile users.
12-18-10, 10:04 AM   #10
torin
Premium Member

Premium Member
Full Width?

It looks really nice but is there a way to get it to use the full width of my display? It looks really odd to see these 360 pixel black areas along each side.
12-18-10, 11:17 AM   #11
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yeah I need the full width back aswell. Everything is so tiny and the Addon overview http://www.wowinterface.com/download...or-101381.html should display way more comment text at it does now.

I don't like the new design, sry. What I like is the improved functionality of the menu!

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
12-18-10, 11:36 AM   #12
lodewijk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
i don't think the new look is a step forward. what i liked about the old look is the prominent display of new and/or updated addons. in the new design there's only a very narrow column for this. i hope there will be some update of the new look in terms of placing the various elements on the page. i do like the overall look of the site tho, and the icons used a very pretty indeed. a way to arrange the elements around to our own taste like we can do on igoogle would be awesome.
12-18-10, 02:28 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The new/updated addon list is larger and more prominent than it used to be (on both pages where it's located), and is a longer list.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-18-10, 03:05 PM   #14
Bylebog
A Kobold Labourer
I'm not horribly active here. But I come often enough, I suppose. I really like the new look.
12-18-10, 04:11 PM   #15
Gnarfoz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Search not being available without hovering over some fancy JS menu is kind of a step backwards.
Liking the rest, though.
12-18-10, 04:13 PM   #16
Snoweh
A Cyclonian

Loving the change!
12-18-10, 04:17 PM   #17
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Gnarfoz View Post
Search not being available without hovering over some fancy JS menu is kind of a step backwards.
Liking the rest, though.
A quick search field will be added back to the navbar soon(tm). I didnt miss it when i was working on the new style but now I do. lol
12-18-10, 05:26 PM   #18
Malice.US
A Murloc Raider

Nice work! Everything is really fast now for me.

I totally miss the quick search window, I'm counting the days until it comes back.
12-18-10, 07:35 PM   #19
Toran
A Nerdscale Dorkin

Premium Member
Thumbs up

Really like the design overall - nice work, was a suprise. It's clean and has more white space. Perhaps a wider main content area would be better, like the old design had.

From a functionality perspective, I'm glad to hear a quick search will be re-implemented. Also, it seems harder to navigate the individual addon pages for some reason. Seems like things are floating and not well anchored.

One thing missing is the favorite addons highlight. On the main page, once a user logs in, the top right square that shows the username and number of updated favorites should be highlighted somehow. Also, on each addon page the "favorite addon" box used to be shaded differently so I knew I favorited the addon.
12-18-10, 08:09 PM   #20
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by lodewijk View Post
i don't think the new look is a step forward. what i liked about the old look is the prominent display of new and/or updated addons. in the new design there's only a very narrow column for this. i hope there will be some update of the new look in terms of placing the various elements on the page. i do like the overall look of the site tho, and the icons used a very pretty indeed. a way to arrange the elements around to our own taste like we can do on igoogle would be awesome.
I dont really like it either makes it to cluttered and hard to find thing simple is better, FYI most people dont like the new blizzard forums either and basicly you copied there idea. I will be looking else were for my addons to hard to use to much clutter. two thumbs down

Last edited by patrick51 : 12-18-10 at 08:12 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » The Cataclysm hits WoWInterface!