06-11-11, 12:25 PM   #1
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Serious Lag Issues with Carbonite (Resolved)

In the last couple of days I've been suddenly having tremendous lag issues with WoW. I suspect there may be another problem going on with my computer. But on a whim I disabled Carbonite temporarily... And my lag problems were virtually gone.

With Carbonite enabled my FPS is only about 10. Disabled, in the exact same situations, my FPS jumps to nearly 50!!

So this leads me to wonder, is there some way to reduce Carbonite's lag? I love this addon and I don't want to have to get rid of it because of the lag. Turning down my graphics doesn't help the FPS very much at all. I do have a lot of addons, but Carbonite in particular seems to be killing me lately.

So, any suggestions on something I can do to reduce the lag with Carbonite in particular? I've disabled Warehouse, and I don't have punks showing unless I'm in PVP. I think I may have a -lot- of old data from characters I no longer play, and I'm not sure how to get rid of that, or if it's bogging down my system anyways.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Crystallyne : 06-11-11 at 02:44 PM.

06-11-11, 12:54 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try disabling all of your addons EXCEPT Carbonite. There might be another addon interfering with Carbonite, and this is the only way to tell if Carbonite itself is causing the problem.

I think I may have a -lot- of old data from characters I no longer play, and I'm not sure how to get rid of that, or if it's bogging down my system anyways.
Open Carbonites options (type "/carb options" in chat, right click the Carbonite minimap button and choose "Options" in the menu, right click a non-icon area of any Carbonite map and choose "Options" in the menu) to the "Reset" page and click on the "Delete settings of a character" option. A list of your characters with Carbonite profiles will open. Just click on a name you want to delete, and a confirmation box will open. Choose "Delete" if you want to delete the character from Carbonite, or "Cancel" if you do not.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 06-11-11 at 01:07 PM.

06-11-11, 01:41 PM   #3
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Try disabling all of your addons EXCEPT Carbonite. There might be another addon interfering with Carbonite, and this is the only way to tell if Carbonite itself is causing the problem.
Good idea, I'll do that. I know there are other addons contributing to the lag. It just seems like a lot of it is coming from Carb. I have an addon that lists how much memory each addon is using, and Carb is actually 2nd on the list, with Auctioneer's Scan Data being the highest.

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Open Carbonites options (type "/carb options" in chat, right click the Carbonite minimap button and choose "Options" in the menu, right click a non-icon area of any Carbonite map and choose "Options" in the menu) to the "Reset" page and click on the "Delete settings of a character" option. A list of your characters with Carbonite profiles will open. Just click on a name you want to delete, and a confirmation box will open. Choose "Delete" if you want to delete the character from Carbonite, or "Cancel" if you do not.
Thanks for the tip!! After you said I realized I knew about this option, but for some reason totally spaced out and forgot about it! */doh* heh

Update:

Okay, I just disabled ALL of my addons, -except- Carbonite, and my FPS is still only 10-15. >_< So this is without doubt an issue with Carbonite.

So... now what? I'm at a loss what to do now.

Last edited by Crystallyne : 06-11-11 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Update with New Info

06-11-11, 02:13 PM   #4
Eclipsor
A Murloc Raider
Hey I was getting the exact same problem, I was getting a full constant 60 FPS with carbonite disabled but with other addons enabled, then when I enabled carbonite, the FPS shoots down to 15 FPS and stay that way, I looked through my other addons and noticed Swatter was disabled, swatter is a bug reporting addon that usually pops up an error report when you get an error, well I enabled that wondering if I'm getting errors that I can't see and thats what is making the game lag, sure enough, I enable swatter and log into the game, error report pops up and the game is running at 60 FPS just fine.

Also Carbonite is using almost 8 MB of memory but its still running fine.

06-11-11, 02:18 PM   #5
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Eclipsor View Post
Hey I was getting the exact same problem, I was getting a full constant 60 FPS with carbonite disabled but with other addons enabled, then when I enabled carbonite, the FPS shoots down to 15 FPS and stay that way, I looked through my other addons and noticed Swatter was disabled, swatter is a bug reporting addon that usually pops up an error report when you get an error, well I enabled that wondering if I'm getting errors that I can't see and thats what is making the game lag, sure enough, I enable swatter and log into the game, error report pops up and the game is running at 60 FPS just fine.

Also Carbonite is using almost 8 MB of memory but its still running fine.
I actually have Swatter as well, and haven't seen any bug reports coming up at all. Wish it would though, it'd be nice to have this fixed.

In other news, after my last report I was playing around some more and realized it may not -just- be carbonite after all. I'm getting a steady 10-20 FPS no matter which addons I have enabled or disabled. (Even with all of them disabled.) I don't know what the heck is wrong with my computer, but it's seriously starting to tick me off. I'm getting such horrible lag I'm getting these lag spikes a lot more then usual. (I'd get them once in awhile before, but nothing like this.)

06-11-11, 02:23 PM   #6
Eclipsor
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Crystallyne View Post
I actually have Swatter as well, and haven't seen any bug reports coming up at all. Wish it would though, it'd be nice to have this fixed.

In other news, after my last report I was playing around some more and realized it may not -just- be carbonite after all. I'm getting a steady 10-20 FPS no matter which addons I have enabled or disabled. (Even with all of them disabled.) I don't know what the heck is wrong with my computer, but it's seriously starting to tick me off. I'm getting such horrible lag I'm getting these lag spikes a lot more then usual. (I'd get them once in awhile before, but nothing like this.)
When you disable all addons and delete your cache whats your FPS?

06-11-11, 02:41 PM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Crystallyne View Post
Thanks for the tip!! After you said I realized I knew about this option, but for some reason totally spaced out and forgot about it! */doh* heh

Update:

Okay, I just disabled ALL of my addons, -except- Carbonite, and my FPS is still only 10-15. >_< So this is without doubt an issue with Carbonite.

So... now what? I'm at a loss what to do now.
You're welcome, and, that'll happen.

If disabling all of your addons and running Carbonite as absolutely the only enabled addon is still causing a frame rate drop, try this: Go to your
"Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\"
folder and rename or delete the "Carbonite.lua" and "Carbonite.lua.bak" files. Please BE AWARE that this will completely reset your installation of Carbonite for ALL of your characters. Those files contain all of the set up information for Carbonite and, like any other computer file, can become corrupted and cause problems. I use the phrase "rename or delete" simply because if you rename the files, and it doesn't solve the problem, you can always delete the new SV's and rename the old ones back, saving you a lot of set up time if you have a lot of characters (like my 35).

OK, you might be able to disregard the upper portion of this post. Once again, I have taken too long to get things done.

Try running the WoW repair tool. I know when I have odd problems that can't seem to be fixed the "normal" way, that usually fixes things.

06-11-11, 02:43 PM   #8
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Eclipsor View Post
When you disable all addons and delete your cache whats your FPS?
I think you just hit the nail on the head. I deleted my cache, and suddenly my FPS is now ranging between 30-50 FPS while in Orgrimmar, with ALL my addons on.

Big thanks to both of you for your help!! Sorry for being a bother! It's been such an issue for me lately, and at first all signs were pointing at Carb as being the culprit. I need to remember the Cache folder if this happens again!

Edit: Jeffy, I didn't see your post until after I'd written this one! So far it seems the Cache folder was the culprit. I still have low FPS, but it's "normal" for me, in line with what it's been in the past. The big key for me is I'm no longer getting the horrendous lag spikes that were freezing up my computer. But I'm definitely going to remember what you have both taught me in the future if I run into further problems! (Or if this fix turns out to be temporary and my computer just decided to behave itself when I was about ready to give up for the day. lol)

Last edited by Crystallyne : 06-11-11 at 02:56 PM.

06-11-11, 03:03 PM   #9
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I didn't do much, but, you're welcome.

I'm going to add my thanks to Eclipsor.

I've been having some framerate problems myself, and while I had known about the problems the cache files can cause, it just never crossed (what I refer to as) my mind that that could be some of the cause of my problems. Well, it was. I still have some issues, but it isn't anything that either a new computer (I'm on a 2 year old laptop with crappy integrated Microsoft graphics and maybe not enough RAM) or enough money to get a very expensive (for me) RAM upgrade won't cure. I swear the RAM in this thing is made out of Unobtainium plated triple pressed gold latinum or something. Sheesh.

Anyway, that's my problem and I'm sticking to it!

Just glad you got everything straightened out.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Serious Lag Issues with Carbonite