04-11-12, 05:11 PM   #1
Zirgo
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Exclamation Vhei's Cataclysm 2.0 UI

How do you guys like my latest UI? It's still being approved here but you can see it in action here: http://youtu.be/nBy6dQfBef4?hd=1
04-11-12, 06:19 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm not a fan of huge panels like that at all. It makes everything look bulky and cramped, and distracts from the actual gameplay.

Also, you have WAY too many action buttons. Use something like OPie to consolidate infrequently used abilities/items like buffs, mounts, and professions without wasting screen space.
04-11-12, 06:42 PM   #3
Zirgo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I'm not a fan of huge panels like that at all. It makes everything look bulky and cramped, and distracts from the actual gameplay.

Also, you have WAY too many action buttons. Use something like OPie to consolidate infrequently used abilities/items like buffs, mounts, and professions without wasting screen space.
Cramped? I don't feel cramped, probably because I am always zoomed out a lot.

And, I do not think so. I use every one of those buttons.
04-11-12, 10:04 PM   #4
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

All of the buttons you have to the right of the minimap are infrequently used and shouldn't be given so much screen real estate.

Your panels look nice, but they are taking up too much of the bottom of the screen (nearly 30 percent). I use a similar layout for my UI, but I use half the space you do.

For comparison:
04-11-12, 10:29 PM   #5
Zirgo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Talyrius View Post
All of the buttons you have to the right of the minimap are infrequently used and shouldn't be given so much screen real estate.

Your panels look nice, but they are taking up too much of the bottom of the screen (nearly 30 percent). I use a similar layout for my UI, but I use half the space you do.

For comparison:
Thats the thing isn't it? Comes down to personal preference. I like the whole "viewport" feel and I have never had a problem with too much real estate being taken up. To compensate for the the 30%~, I just zoom out and I am fine with the way it looks/feels. Thanks for the input, though.
04-12-12, 07:17 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Zirgo View Post
I do not think so.
You asked how we liked your UI. I gave you my opinion. You don't have to agree, but that doesn't make my opinon wrong, or any less valid than your opinion.
04-12-12, 08:29 PM   #7
Zirgo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
You asked how we liked your UI. I gave you my opinion. You don't have to agree, but that doesn't make my opinon wrong, or any less valid than your opinion.
I am not saying you are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I was just telling you what I thought. Didnt mean for it to come across that way, sorry.
04-13-12, 01:10 AM   #8
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

I think it looks neat! I like the panels and their borders, they look nice. As do the status bars.

However, I would consider getting rid of the 3D model of yourself and the target and redesigning that panel behind it to just hold the unit frames. Imo, a 3D model of yourself that's in the middle of the screen anyway, isn't needed. Same goes for target.

I would also consider using "normal" buffs, without a 200 pixel wide status bar. I mean, the most important bar for you is probably the rage bar since you're a fury warr, then why is the buff timers more than double the size of that. I think there's an addon that puts a tiny buff timer bar below the actual icon. If you really need those buff bars, I'd go with that. Can't remember the name though.

The hit, ap and mail text stuff that's on it's own panel on the center top, I'd try moving that into the empty panel space on your bottom bar. It just makes more sense to me.

I didn't look at the video, this is only from what I saw on the screenshot. I do think it's one of the better generic UIs ive seen lately though.
04-14-12, 09:21 AM   #9
Movster
A Defias Bandit

I love your UI and even after playing since 2006 I still like to have lots of buttons on display. As you say it's down to personal preference, great job.
04-14-12, 01:26 PM   #10
Arxae
A Cyclonian
What are the 2 stat bars at the top?
04-14-12, 03:28 PM   #11
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by lerb View Post
I think it looks neat! I like the panels and their borders, they look nice. As do the status bars.

However, I would consider getting rid of the 3D model of yourself and the target and redesigning that panel behind it to just hold the unit frames. Imo, a 3D model of yourself that's in the middle of the screen anyway, isn't needed. Same goes for target.

I would also consider using "normal" buffs, without a 200 pixel wide status bar. I mean, the most important bar for you is probably the rage bar since you're a fury warr, then why is the buff timers more than double the size of that. I think there's an addon that puts a tiny buff timer bar below the actual icon. If you really need those buff bars, I'd go with that. Can't remember the name though.

The hit, ap and mail text stuff that's on it's own panel on the center top, I'd try moving that into the empty panel space on your bottom bar. It just makes more sense to me.

I didn't look at the video, this is only from what I saw on the screenshot. I do think it's one of the better generic UIs ive seen lately though.
No 3D Portraits. Its what makes the UI come alive! I also belive my UI wouldn't been that popular if i didn't use the 3D Portraits^^

My UI with 3D Portraits.

My UI without 3D Portraits.

Last edited by Aftermathhqt : 04-14-12 at 03:39 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Vhei's Cataclysm 2.0 UI