08-31-12, 05:35 PM   #1
nooc
A Defias Bandit
Help me fix my new UI aesthetically

This is close to what I want functionally, I'm looking for suggestions to improve it aesthetically. The raid frames will be 2 rows of 5 just above the fx cooldown timer bar. I will also have 1 more bar of 6 buttons I think, for abilities I don't have yet / consumables, that will get get put with the others. Ill eventually be able to put all the bars together. They are separated atm for muscle memory training purposes. I can prolly lose the stance bar. I will also need a spot for some power aura classic stuff once that addon is fixed.

08-31-12, 06:17 PM   #2
Unkn
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try getting all your textures and fonts to co-operate. You have all different kinds clashing at the moment. Notice your status bars on unit frames vs status bars on nameplates vs castbar vs cooline/forte(?) vs recount.

Also do you really need your form bar so big and in that position? You could turn it into 3x2 grid and put it beside your other action bars and it would balance out a lot better. Or keybind it and hide it entirely.

Tooltip! There are quite a few well functioning tooltip addons that could move and style the tooltip for you. So its not hovering over your recount.

And your minimap has contracted a strange form of button herpes... its okay its a fairly common affliction in WoW
08-31-12, 07:39 PM   #3
nooc
A Defias Bandit
Thanks for the ideas.

How is this now?

08-31-12, 10:07 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I still see 6 different bar textures.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-01-12, 12:09 AM   #5
Unkn
Premium Member

At least 6 different status bar textures. I missed dbm the first time around.

To do:
Status bars the same. It will be much easier to recognize what they mean when you recognize they are status bars. It really helps for instant recognition as well as overall balance.
  • DBM
  • XPerl - I believe that's what you are using... there is an oUF that mimics it, though I don't think its working
  • Nameplate addon
  • Cooline or Forte Exorcist - whatever your cd bar is
  • Quartz - again I think thats your cast bar addon
  • Recount

I'd suggest going with a texture that is similar to blizzard raid frames texture. Since you are using those and the texture for them is decent.

I like what you did with your class bar I play a druid as well, and that silly bar is always in the way- I'm always forgetting keybinds.
09-01-12, 04:55 AM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

It's hard to see the details in your screenshot when you shrink it. If Photobucket won't let you upload the full size image, use another image host; imgur.com doesn't forcibly resize your images, for example.
09-01-12, 08:58 AM   #7
nooc
A Defias Bandit
I guess I don't know what bar textures are then. I was just trying to match colors as best I could.

The addons I'm using are DBM Xpearl Recount DBM Quartz Forte Exorcist.

Here it is again with imgur

Thanks for all the replys so far

Last edited by nooc : 09-01-12 at 09:04 AM.
09-01-12, 10:26 AM   #8
Unkn
Premium Member

Originally Posted by nooc View Post
I guess I don't know what bar textures are then. I was just trying to match colors as best I could.

The addons I'm using are DBM Xpearl Recount DBM Quartz Forte Exorcist.

Here it is again with imgur

Thanks for all the replys so far
Status bars are the areas of your ui that fill or empty depending on certain conditions. Example would be your health bar. That is a status bar. So are other place on your ui that show some sort of data in a linear fashion. See the attached picture I highlighted most of the status bars for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	statusbars are.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	7131  
09-01-12, 12:46 PM   #9
Terranell
Premium Member
Premium Member
Heya nooc,

The bar textures are what make your bars look buttonized (like your cooldown bar), or cloudy (like your health bars) or rounded like your cast bar. Each addon should have a section in the options for you to choose the texture you want.

I might suggest, do you need your menu bar, bottom left corner, shown all the time? Most of it has easy to remember keybinds and personally I don't use it very much so even if you click it, perhaps it could be hidden until you mouse over it? Most bar addons have a 'visibility' section for each bar.

I pretty much use a rule that anything I don't need to see more than once every 10mins gets hidden, usually with a 'show on mouseover' option or to be toggled as needed. You might like things showing but it's worth thinking about what you need and want to see all the time over the game world so that you can choose how to arrange them best for you.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Help me fix my new UI aesthetically