Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-12, 05:27 PM   #21
Catitude
An Aku'mai Servant
 
Catitude's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
Thumbs up Great idea!

Originally Posted by jovenyoung View Post
Perhaps we as a community could buy out the addon with sufficient donations. Give us a dollar value and let the community donate the funds to buy out the rights to the code so it can be made open source...
Awesome Idea if we could get everyone on the same page
Catitude is offline  
Old 09-11-12, 11:18 PM   #22
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by jovenyoung View Post
Perhaps we as a community could buy out the addon with sufficient donations. Give us a dollar value and let the community donate the funds to buy out the rights to the code so it can be made open source...
Now, if Carbonite did something like this - then yes... I could see them to be "greedy" -- granted, this addon was created as a profiteering adventure, Blizzard is the one who trumped that card. They had one person who actually financed the project - that person probably has a lot of say as to whether or not others can take over the addon. Right now, I see Carbonite as wanting to keep the addon they authored as their own. People have always been free to create their own and send it out for the masses - maybe one day someone (Rythal?) will do such.
schizophrena is offline  
Old 09-12-12, 03:55 PM   #23
juztcallmepapi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Carbonite was created by three people, one of whom financed the project. I wrote the addon. Haavok wrote the tools. He and I are still around if only once every few months.

We would have liked to make it more that it was and is, but economics stopped that. Haavok was laid off, my hours reduced and then down to just a share of donations. Donations have been very low for the past few years. People generally won't pay for what they can get for free (thanks Blizzard).

I work on and manage other people working on games all day long and have little desire after I drive my 45 minutes home to think about, play or work on more games. That would be like an auto mechanic coming home and then fixing his neighbors car for a few bucks, then the next neighbor and so on. I know one of those mechanics. He works on our cars after work because he needs/wants the money, not because of fun or some duty to the well being of our cars. I work on Carbonite because I want to see it stay alive and because people get enjoyment from it. My wife thinks it is not worth the grief, but I carry on.

I have said it before, if you want to donate for whatever reason, then do so. If you don't, then don't. That is your choice. Expect nothing in return, except for our thanks. God has always taken care of me and continues to, so I don't 'need' the money now, but I'm sure we can put it to some use.

It is now very late after all that rambling and I'm sure I will regret it in the morning.

So to those of you enjoying the addon, may you continue to enjoy it!
Are we sorry that you fell on hard times? Yes. But as you claim it, you don't need the money anymore. And the decline in your donations is a direct representation of your efforts towards your product. Donations aren't a handout. Donations are made for worthy causes. Many have donated in the hopes that the you would continue to develop the addon faithfully or at least to fix the majority of the error, and yet you've mislead them. Here and now you've confirmed that you are only active a few days out of the year and yet some people, unknowing of the truth, donate to you.

I wonder, do you return your donations? Or do you rightfully believe that your current product is worthy enough for such a grateful contribution?

As to your mechanic analogy, that's only one sided since you didn't mention the money aspect of it. Because if you already paid him (donations), he really has only two options. Return the money because he doesn't/can't do the job, or suck it up and do the job. Of course there always negotiations where your neighbor might say, "Listen Bob, I know you paid me to maintain your car, but I'm really tired from working 12-hour shifts this week. You think it's possible to work on this this weekend when I have more time off from work?" And with that, everyone gets what they want.

Last edited by juztcallmepapi : 09-12-12 at 04:18 PM.
juztcallmepapi is offline  
Old 09-12-12, 05:04 PM   #24
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,526
Just to clarify here, donations are like tips. Not contractual payments. You pay for your food in McDonald's, then if you would like to, you leave a donation in the Ronald McDonald House jar or put your pennies from the change in the "need a penny take a penny" bowl.
__________________
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Seerah is offline  
Old 09-12-12, 10:08 PM   #25
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by juztcallmepapi View Post
I wonder, do you return your donations? Or do you rightfully believe that your current product is worthy enough for such a grateful contribution?
No matter what he thinks, I have and always will think Carbonite has been worth its weight in gold. My contributions (donations) do not justify the true gain I've received from this addon for all the times I've used it.

As to the mechanic analogy, he was referring to the fact that the mechanic could come over and take care of his car - just for the hell of it (and/or his own personal enjoyment). That's the stance he is taking with this addon. If someone wants to throw some money at him, he won't refuse it - but he isn't doing it for the money - he has a steady and well paying job (I hope) for money that takes the majority of his time that isn't devoted to family and friends.
schizophrena is offline  
Old 09-14-12, 10:18 PM   #26
alivejamie
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
The complainers are not fun, but the real reason is we simply have very busy lives. Between wives/kids/family/jobs/church there is little time and desire left to pay attention to or keep this old horse going.



Carbonite was created by three people, one of whom financed the project. I wrote the addon. Haavok wrote the tools. He and I are still around if only once every few months.

We would have liked to make it more that it was and is, but economics stopped that. Haavok was laid off, my hours reduced and then down to just a share of donations. Donations have been very low for the past few years. People generally won't pay for what they can get for free (thanks Blizzard).

I work on and manage other people working on games all day long and have little desire after I drive my 45 minutes home to think about, play or work on more games. That would be like an auto mechanic coming home and then fixing his neighbors car for a few bucks, then the next neighbor and so on. I know one of those mechanics. He works on our cars after work because he needs/wants the money, not because of fun or some duty to the well being of our cars. I work on Carbonite because I want to see it stay alive and because people get enjoyment from it. My wife thinks it is not worth the grief, but I carry on.

I have said it before, if you want to donate for whatever reason, then do so. If you don't, then don't. That is your choice. Expect nothing in return, except for our thanks. God has always taken care of me and continues to, so I don't 'need' the money now, but I'm sure we can put it to some use.

It is now very late after all that rambling and I'm sure I will regret it in the morning.

So to those of you enjoying the addon, may you continue to enjoy it!
Wouldn't it be in everybody's best interests to either open the plugin up to the community or add somebody like Rythal to the team?
alivejamie is offline  
Old 09-16-12, 01:11 PM   #27
Lando
A Defias Bandit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Contact Info from google search

Originally Posted by Lunchbox.Charlie View Post
Please, please... release the license or lax it up for us to work on it as a community. We can't make money off of it and you wouldn't then have to worry about it anymore...

http://www.facebook.com/shawn.liptak.7
http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi...oniteaddon.com
shawn@tak7.com
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/shawn-liptak/4/16/107
http://businessprofiles.com/details/...lc/IL-02180162
Lando is offline  
Old 09-17-12, 09:42 AM   #28
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!
 
VincentSDSH's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 190
Originally Posted by flesyMeM View Post
Personally, I think it would be better if the people in the community who are now trying to work on Carbonite would get together and produce a new mod with map functionality similar to Carbonite's. That's the only feature of Carbonite worth pursuing really...every other thing that it does, there are other mods that do it equally or better. Carbonite's map setup is awesome, but just about all the rest is unnecessary bloat.
Rythal (http://rythal.com) is undertaking the project, though he's starting from scratch so an interim solution will be needed. He's approaching it from a modular point of view so it shouldn't be too long before parts of the project are available, whatever its final size.
VincentSDSH is offline  
Old 09-17-12, 11:18 AM   #29
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,048
Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
Rythal (http://rythal.com) is undertaking the project, though he's starting from scratch so an interim solution will be needed. He's approaching it from a modular point of view so it shouldn't be too long before parts of the project are available, whatever its final size.
I wouldn't be so sure on that... I'm starting with the map since everything else ties into that, and the map is really not easy to reproduce... It definately won't be done by next week, and i'll have MoP taking my time. I am definitely working on it tho

(which makes me gotta ask, anyone running DS tonight and need a rogue? lol I haven't played all week, logging onto my lil level 1 and doing code / reload test, do code, /reload test... and I really want to get my last 80 clusters before MoP).
Rythal is offline  
Old 09-17-12, 11:39 AM   #30
Muezick
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I wouldn't be so sure on that... I'm starting with the map since everything else ties into that, and the map is really not easy to reproduce... It definately won't be done by next week, and i'll have MoP taking my time. I am definitely working on it tho

(which makes me gotta ask, anyone running DS tonight and need a rogue? lol I haven't played all week, logging onto my lil level 1 and doing code / reload test, do code, /reload test... and I really want to get my last 80 clusters before MoP).

horde or alliance? i might be able to pull some strings to get you into my guilds DS run, we run it twice a week.


pm me so i dont miss your reply


@Faatal

If you're frustrated at having to develop carbonite and want to sit around complaining all day and hating your life because you have to maintain this profitless product then stop doing it, release the licence and quit being stingy. Here you are going on about god and church but you sure aren't acting like a christian should. LOL WHAT IS SHARING????????? If there's anything I dislike more than religious zealots, it's religious zealots who are also hypocrites. You don't need the head ache, clearly, and the project isn't making you any money, so why risk it being burried and dead, open it up so Rythal doesn't have to start from scratch. your product will live on! If you don't, Rythal's will be developed, it will be better, it will be open source, and openly maintained more readily than yours and yours WILL DIE and be forgotten. Wow only has a few years left in it to begin with though, so maybe you don't care. It's clear you're bitter though, so maybe you do care, but in the wrong way. maybe it's spite that drives you to act as you do. either way, RUMA can't come soon enough.

inb4 he blames the other people on the project for not wanting to release it to open source.

Last edited by Muezick : 09-17-12 at 11:48 AM.
Muezick is offline  
Old 09-17-12, 09:05 PM   #31
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
@Faatal

If you're frustrated at having to develop carbonite and want to sit around complaining all day and hating your life because you have to maintain this profitless product then stop doing it, release the licence and quit being stingy. Here you are going on about god and church but you sure aren't acting like a christian should. LOL WHAT IS SHARING????????? If there's anything I dislike more than religious zealots, it's religious zealots who are also hypocrites. You don't need the head ache, clearly, and the project isn't making you any money, so why risk it being burried and dead, open it up so Rythal doesn't have to start from scratch. your product will live on! If you don't, Rythal's will be developed, it will be better, it will be open source, and openly maintained more readily than yours and yours WILL DIE and be forgotten. Wow only has a few years left in it to begin with though, so maybe you don't care. It's clear you're bitter though, so maybe you do care, but in the wrong way. maybe it's spite that drives you to act as you do. either way, RUMA can't come soon enough.

inb4 he blames the other people on the project for not wanting to release it to open source.
First of all, stop assuming things - such as Fataal is Christian. Lots of religions go to church and believe in God. Second, you are assuming he's getting headaches from this, I'm sure he gets some when he visits the forums and sees posts like yours - but I'm also sure he can derive some pleasure in knowing that it is *their* (is everyone forgetting the fact that there are two other people in this partnership that created Carbonite) addon and it has and still does bring plenty of happiness to people like myself who (still) enjoy using it. I'm also pretty confident in the fact that Fataal is not "hating his life" because of the addon, those are some pretty stretched assumptions to make.

I'm sure that the Carbonite team wishes the best to Rythal in his own creation. I know I do and I hope it comes out as quickly as everyone wants it. It is not clear that the addon authors are "bitter" it is an inference you make on your own interpretation. I would dare say that Fataal could be very well miffed over all that is said in the forums (I know I would be), but I certainly couldn't say it is clear.

I tend to agree with you, WoW is at it's end life and RUMA can't come fast enough. Hopefully it'll be able to replace 90% (I'm hoping for more) of what Carbonite is and does, so we don't need 10 different addons that have already been created to do the 20-25% of what Carbonite does. Lastly, I have no idea what your last sentence meant. Fataal has never directly implied that the others do not want to or he does not want to release it to the public - it is Carbonite that has said they, at this time, do not want to release it to the public or anyone else working on their addon.
schizophrena is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 10:53 PM   #32
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
carboniteaddon's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,245
The source is released on the download page of our website.

Hope it works out for everyone!
__________________
faatal
carboniteaddon is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 08:51 AM   #33
Muezick
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
The source is released on the download page of our website.

Hope it works out for everyone!
3 Cheers for Fataal and Havok!

Thank you both!
Muezick is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 10:08 AM   #34
Xcari
A Fallenroot Satyr
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 22
.../joins in the three cheers for Faatal and Haavok
Xcari is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 08:41 PM   #35
amkosh
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
The source is released on the download page of our website.

Hope it works out for everyone!
Awesome. Thanks so much for giving back to the community.
amkosh is offline  
 

Go BackWoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » A plea to carbonite addon authors.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off