Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-12-12, 04:21 PM   #81
Lunchbox.Charlie
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
It is now. The "copyright" expired last year.

What makes you think anyone feels entitled? What sort of asinine assumption is that?

Many of us don't have to wait for it to be debugged. We have Rythal's fan update that actually works.

It's not about "first version after the patch". So my reply to that... really?
I have to say this:

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.
source: copyright office
I don't agree that the authors should be milking people but just because it says "Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Carbon Based Creations, LLC" It means nothing. So last I checked it hasn't been 70 years since they have died since they are still very much alive.

However, I have checked with the copyright office records and it's not a purchased copyright so the most they can do is make you take it down legally, they can't sue you for monetary value.

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwe...&CNT=25&HIST=1

Last edited by Lunchbox.Charlie : 09-12-12 at 04:30 PM.
Lunchbox.Charlie is offline  
Unread 09-12-12, 04:48 PM   #82
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,938
Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
It is now. The "copyright" expired last year.
Originally Posted by Lunchbox.Charlie View Post
However, I have checked with the copyright office records and it's not a purchased copyright so the most they can do is make you take it down legally, they can't sue you for monetary value.
Cairenn is online now  
Unread 09-12-12, 05:17 PM   #83
taeon
A Defias Bandit
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
It is our addon. We did not ask, nor do we want someone else modding it.

I won't tell you to work for free or give your property away, so please don't tell us what we should do with our property.

I think my answers have been direct and to the point, but that is just my opinion.
You guys are horrible.

This guy saved your addon and you say that.

I will not be using you again you money grabbing idiots.
taeon is offline  
Unread 09-12-12, 05:52 PM   #84
Michaelgal
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by taeon View Post
You guys are horrible.

This guy saved your addon and you say that.

I will not be using you again you money grabbing idiots.
Sadly, it's hard to disagree here.
Michaelgal is offline  
Unread 09-12-12, 07:19 PM   #85
jarda128
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 45
thank you for doing oficial update ...
i will donate some money as soon as possible although i m far to be rich ...
pls could you update carbonite on curse addon site not only on wowinterface?
because i use their updating tool ...

JK

P.S.
I wish to thank Rythal for his great work when you was offline ...
P.S.2 As motto of our wow guild IRL life is the most important thing than just game ...

Last edited by jarda128 : 09-12-12 at 07:23 PM.
jarda128 is offline  
Unread 09-12-12, 10:52 PM   #86
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by taeon View Post
You guys are horrible.

This guy saved your addon and you say that.

I will not be using you again you money grabbing idiots.
Thank you very much - we (the community that doesn't mind waiting and understands real life issues) could do with less people like you taking the authors time and demanding their attention. Plus, there will be a lot less hate on this forum when you all stop coming and find something else. I hope for Rythals sake you don't use his and have the same attitude to him at some point.

I want to clarify something - Rythal did not save Carbonite - the authors have come back to fix the immediate broken parts. Rythal certainly helped a lot of people who were having a problem living without it. He did work hard to get it fixed as much as he could in the small time he worked on that - and for that I and many other "users" are thankful. They never called him out by name, they simply stated (as they have before) that they do not want nor ask anyone to modify their creation - this is their right. You have no right to this addon, it has been made available for public use by the authors. What many in this vocal community are asking (that's putting it pretty politely too) for is that they give up their rights to their creation and let others take it over.
schizophrena is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 12:51 PM   #87
Drencarnate
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
Thank you very much - we (the community that doesn't mind waiting and understands real life issues) could do with less people like you taking the authors time and demanding their attention. Plus, there will be a lot less hate on this forum when you all stop coming and find something else. I hope for Rythals sake you don't use his and have the same attitude to him at some point.



Thank you Rythal for saving Carbonite. I came to this forum with the intention of locating the person(s) I could donate to, as this addon has come in handy. After reading the pompous responses from the authors, I can promise you they won't get a penny from me. The "fix" provided by the authors has simply created more problems + forced me to search for the actual fix from Rythal. Now that it's clear the authors are simply trying to milk us for donations while they go on with their "busy" lives, I'll keep working 80+ hours a week, playing warcraft when I can and wonder what it's like to be busy too.

P.S. I found the fix on the ol' Argh matey site.

Last edited by Drencarnate : 09-13-12 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Having a hard time believing the author(s) could have their heads shoved that far up their asses.
Drencarnate is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 05:04 PM   #88
ABURECALL
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14
I did donate to the developers weeks before

I only recently started using Carbonite and when I did i was having issues with having it work so in order to gain access to the privileged user forum I did donate $10. So I am indeed unappreciative of the attitude of the owner's of this program and he will be glad to know I will no longer use this product. It was a very good addon and I will miss using it but I will find other programs to take it's place. Rythal, thank you for the work you did do to ease the transition.

Fataal, It seems you think no initial response of any kind was OK even though you personally responded to people who contacted you. It seems customer service is lost on you. You have what seems to be a large and faithful that use your product yet you kept them in the dark for over 3 weeks while you and whoever decided if it was feasible to update the addon once again. No quick update to state that so we would wait. Your heart is not in this as evidenced by the update you created that broke it even more. I have no animosity toward you but I also have lost any respect for the way you handled this update from the get go. I wish you luck in your future endeavors but if the way you handled this issue is how you handle life you will need overwhelming luck.
ABURECALL is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 06:13 PM   #89
skyesfury
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
Thank you very much - we (the community that doesn't mind waiting and understands real life issues) could do with less people like you taking the authors time and demanding their attention. Plus, there will be a lot less hate on this forum when you all stop coming and find something else. I hope for Rythals sake you don't use his and have the same attitude to him at some point.

I want to clarify something - Rythal did not save Carbonite - the authors have come back to fix the immediate broken parts. Rythal certainly helped a lot of people who were having a problem living without it. He did work hard to get it fixed as much as he could in the small time he worked on that - and for that I and many other "users" are thankful. They never called him out by name, they simply stated (as they have before) that they do not want nor ask anyone to modify their creation - this is their right. You have no right to this addon, it has been made available for public use by the authors. What many in this vocal community are asking (that's putting it pretty politely too) for is that they give up their rights to their creation and let others take it over.
How is stating that the authors are being disrespectful and arrogant dbags "taking the author's time and their attention"? Because that's the person you quoted and what they said about the authors.

And yes, Rythal DID save Crabonite. Had the authors not been contacted at all, it never would have recieved an update. Because, as the authors themselves stated, they are A) No longer playing WoW and B) Did not even know about a patch. Perhaps you should let your other, smarter, personalities post for you, schiz.
skyesfury is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 06:33 PM   #90
jc2470
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
I am a huge fan of carbonite, dont know what i would do without it. But honestly if this is how people are thanking the creators they probably should pull it off the site and let no one have it. Some say that someone will fix it and it will be back up, well u probably are right to an extent, but it wont be on a addon site, and it wont be with the authors consent, so as soon as the creator of carbonite would find out he would simply have it removed. Some where along the line people forgot it is a right given to them by the people who made the addon that they use it, not that it is ours to do with what we want.

The fans own nothing, no rights at all other than to use it, nor are they owed anything at all, it is a given right that has been taken for granted.

I am on quite a few forums, xda developers forums for one. I dont think I have ever seen anyone do what was done here against a developer. They create new Roms, Utilities for rooting your phone among many other things, they usually accept Donations, but no wheres does it say they have to update there roms or fix there roms because people donated. No one expects them to do it either, use it at your own risk if u want to, dont use it if u dont. I think the developer here said the same thing if im not mistaken.
jc2470 is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 06:49 PM   #91
skyesfury
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by jc2470 View Post
I am a huge fan of carbonite, dont know what i would do without it. But honestly if this is how people are thanking the creators they probably should pull it off the site and let no one have it. Some say that someone will fix it and it will be back up, well u probably are right to an extent, but it wont be on a addon site, and it wont be with the authors consent, so as soon as the creator of carbonite would find out he would simply have it removed. Some where along the line people forgot it is a right given to them by the people who made the addon that they use it, not that it is ours to do with what we want.

The fans own nothing, no rights at all other than to use it, nor are they owed anything at all, it is a given right that has been taken for granted.

I am on quite a few forums, xda developers forums for one. I dont think I have ever seen anyone do what was done here against a developer. They create new Roms, Utilities for rooting your phone among many other things, they usually accept Donations, but no wheres does it say they have to update there roms or fix there roms because people donated. No one expects them to do it either, use it at your own risk if u want to, dont use it if u dont. I think the developer here said the same thing if im not mistaken.
Then you don't understand the situation.

People donated because they liked the add on. Those people that donated are, in fact, entitled. That leaves the authors with an obligation. That obligation is misconstrued by the misinformed as "entitlement". That obligation is to communicate with the donators, either by saying "we're not working on this anymore" or by providing an update or by removing the product from availability. Failure to meet that obligation has consequences. Those consequences are almost always negative in nature.

I know very few people that actually post here will understand this, and that's truly sad.
skyesfury is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 07:04 PM   #92
reddrumjay
A Black Drake
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself...
__________________
Murphy's Law of Combat: Always remember your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.

reddrumjay is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 07:39 PM   #93
Beachcomber1
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7
I'd still like to see the pvp map split into a different addon.

I do not use anything else in Carbonite; in fact I have to disable it all because it wants to take over everything else in WoW. Plus you have a massive code base which is very difficult to keep updated through patches.

The pvp map is excellent; please help it survive future patches by separating it from the rest of Carbonite.
Beachcomber1 is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 10:32 PM   #94
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
How is stating that the authors are being disrespectful and arrogant dbags "taking the author's time and their attention"? Because that's the person you quoted and what they said about the authors.
Simply put, because the authors read the forums - reading complaints takes time, granted they may skip over most of them.

Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
And yes, Rythal DID save Crabonite. Had the authors not been contacted at all, it never would have recieved an update. Because, as the authors themselves stated, they are A) No longer playing WoW and B) Did not even know about a patch. Perhaps you should let your other, smarter, personalities post for you, schiz.
Rythal did not contact the authors. So how does he get credit for the authors being contacted? And if you are trying to say he saved Carbonite another way, you failed to state how. I hardly believe another week beyond Rythals first attempt without an update would have "killed Carbonite".
schizophrena is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 10:43 PM   #95
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
Then you don't understand the situation.

People donated because they liked the add on. Those people that donated are, in fact, entitled. That leaves the authors with an obligation. That obligation is misconstrued by the misinformed as "entitlement". That obligation is to communicate with the donators, either by saying "we're not working on this anymore" or by providing an update or by removing the product from availability. Failure to meet that obligation has consequences. Those consequences are almost always negative in nature.

I know very few people that actually post here will understand this, and that's truly sad.
Sorry Skyesfury, your own argument goes against you. By saying that people who donate are entitled - makes them paying customers. Paying customers are entitled because they pay a price for a service or product. Entitlement is the belief that you are entitled ("have consideration payable" - since I hate using the base word in the definition) to something. See definition at the bottom. So, either the donors are paying customers (against Blizzard ToS) or they are not entitled to anything. Even if they were "entitled" see next paragraph.

Even if Carbonite was in this relationship and the donors were entitled - they have released a patch to fix some of the errors - donors (and/or customers) are not entitled to a completely bug free environment or product, especially in a software state that constantly changes. Also, in order to proceed and show obligation due, you have to have a contract of what will happen (verbal or written) with the funds you provide as consideration. In this case - the authors have stated that you can expect nothing in return except for their thanks for donations.

en·ti·tle·ment
   [en-tahy-tl-muhnt] Show IPA
noun
1.
the act of entitling.
2.
the state of being entitled.
3.
the right to guaranteed benefits under a government program, as Social Security or unemployment compensation.
schizophrena is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 10:51 PM   #96
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,217
First off, do we really need this back and forth going on in 4 topics.... I appreciate what you guys are trying to do both for me, and for the carbonite developers, but every post is turning into the same debate and that's not helping people who actually need help.

Second, The carbonite page specifically asks you to vote for what feature you'd like added when you pay, the forum topic at the top of this forum about voting

If you choose to donate you can now pick a feature you would like to see implemented in a future version of Carbonite. Every dollar you donate will count as a vote for the feature you choose.
So when can we expect to see anything from that list? they specifically said each dollar we pay is one vote towards a feature, so yeah, people who paid are entitled to know. There is no Oh i love the product so i'm going to donate, it's plain and simple I want this added so here's money to add it.

Last edited by Rythal : 09-13-12 at 10:55 PM.
Rythal is online now  
Unread 09-13-12, 11:04 PM   #97
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Second, The carbonite page specifically asks you to vote for what feature you'd like added when you pay, the forum topic at the top of this forum about voting
Now that is something that hasn't been brought up before, and I could see that to be very misleading. Also note that it isn't "paying for the feature" but voting for donors (and subscription users back when it was subscription). I remember a while back when they instituted that, but new people wouldn't and I wouldn't expect them to. That is something they should remove and apologize for having that still up. And FYI - I've donated many times without expecting further enhancements. The first radial button is blank and would indicate (to me) that it didn't matter. They seem to have forgotten their website (and after it moved to WI, so did I).
schizophrena is offline  
Unread 09-13-12, 11:21 PM   #98
ødin
A Kobold Labourer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Bugs

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
FYI: I am working on a 5.0 version of Carbonite. Three bugs have been fixed. I'm working on another I just found. It looks like I need to add info for new maps. I hope to have something out tonight.
Here is another Bug for you to look into, I first of all want to say think you for getting the update posted I know you have a lot of work into this but the Dungeon icon is not showing next to the mini map
ødin is offline  
Unread 09-14-12, 11:51 AM   #99
Muezick
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
Simply put, because the authors read the forums - reading complaints takes time, granted they may skip over most of them.



Rythal did not contact the authors. So how does he get credit for the authors being contacted? And if you are trying to say he saved Carbonite another way, you failed to state how. I hardly believe another week beyond Rythals first attempt without an update would have "killed Carbonite".

This developer obviously does not read these forums. lmao.
Muezick is offline  
Unread 09-14-12, 12:02 PM   #100
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
This developer obviously does not read these forums. lmao.
You are right, obviously they don't read any of the forums or respond to anyone. It also seems obvious that no one has any problems with Fataal for making comments about Rythal and/or the community - because there was never a response - right?
schizophrena is offline  
 

Go BackWoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5.0

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off