03-04-14, 09:26 PM   #1
Duugu
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
BAB Bars Alpha

This thread is for feedback/discussion to BAB Bars Alpha.

BAB Bars is a complete new action bar approach. It implements 'bendable' and 'flexible' action bars that are not limited to the standard 'rectangle' shape of action bars and action buttons.
BAB Bars creates fully functional (additional) action bars in the form of curves, circles, waves, and any other shape.
With this alpha release I'm asking for your feature requests, comments, and feedback for the further development. Do you see any benefit in it at all? What options, etc. would you like to see? Are there any features that would be useful?

Quickstart
BAB Bars shows up with a single new bar with 12 buttons (above the Blizzard standard bars) in configuration mode at first start up.
Type /bab to close the configuration mode. Type /bab to switch back into configuration mode.
Have a look at the new bar. There are 4 'control points' (2 green ones and 2 red ones). If you can't see them click somewhere on the grey bar anchor (left of the first button for example) to select the bar. The control points and the bar anchor will be highlighted. Use the grey bar anchor to drag the bar around.
The control points are working like a Bézier curve tool in Photoshop. Drag them around to change the bar shape. The two green control points are the bar ends. The red control points are for manipulating the curve. Just try to play around. It's not that hard to understand.

Alpha
Please keep in mind that this is an early alpha version for reviewing/feedback. It is WIP, it is full of bugs, and it is incomplete. It provides only the most basic functionality.

Why is the download that big? Does the addon need that much memory?
No, it does not. BAB Bars depends on custom versions of all icon textures to work. All borders of all textures must be translucent. This is not the case with the default wow icon textures. The download contains modified versions of all standard icon textures. A big download does not mean that the addon needs that much memory ingame. The additional textures a loaded on demand only. The will not significant blow up the memory usage by default.

Masque support
BAB Bars does support Masque.
BUT: as with the icons (see above) it depends on special Masque skins. All Masque skin textures must have a transparent border (at least 1 pixel). If a Masque skin has no transparent border you'll have to edit them to use them with BAB Bars.

Incomplete bug / todo list
- add talent spec pofiles
- add a couple of default skins for Masque
- add support for smaller curve radius
- create a better Background with more configuration Options
- add round button shape support
- button placement is not correct (padding to small/big for some buttons)
- multiple sections are not displayed as expected (button shape/rotation on section transitions is wrong)
- cooldown texture is not shaped

Last edited by Duugu : 03-10-14 at 07:31 PM.
03-05-14, 02:34 AM   #2
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
I was quite curious whats gonna came out of this but it's much more better then i expected it would be.

The first issue i noticed is that the glowing action bar buttons doesn't get rotated and deformated:

Last edited by Resike : 03-05-14 at 03:16 AM.
03-05-14, 10:17 AM   #3
Duugu
Premium Member

Thank you. I'll put that on my to do list.
Same with flyout buttons. :/
03-05-14, 02:06 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Re: the download size, you may want to put the textures in a separate download. The textures probably won't ever need to be changed (just new ones added) so there's no sense in making users download the same 29 MB of textures every time you update the addon code.
03-10-14, 07:27 PM   #5
Duugu
Premium Member

BAB 0.0.2 (Alpha) is available.

To reduce the download volume on BAB updates I've moved the the icon textures into another download (BAB Texture Pack) which is now mandatory to use BAB. (thanks confused cat)

New Features:
- glowing/ants buttons (thanks resike)
- keybinds
- configuration restricted to out of combat situations
- moved icon texture files into an extra addon 'BABTexturePack' which now is mandatory for BAB

Fixed:
- anchor of newly added bars now hides as desired when leaving config mode
- bug with 'dynamic' type button shape in certain situations (shape was 'upside down')
- bug with adding new buttons (buttons were not rotated as desired in certain situations until a ui-reload)
- non-spell buttons (eg. items) are now saved to the profile as desired

Last edited by Duugu : 03-12-14 at 05:34 AM.
03-17-14, 11:41 PM   #6
Duugu
Premium Member

I've just uploaded version 0.0.3 (Alpha)

There's also an updated texture pack: BAB Texture Pack 2.0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.0.3 (Alpha)
New:
- number of sections per bar is now resticted to 8
- button texts added: bind, action, count + options to configure them (what a mess ... I hate blizzard)
- new option: Reset Bar
- new option: Curve Calculation Style: (Bernstein <default>, Bezier)
Up to version 0.0.2 the bars curve was calculated with a 'cubic bezier algorithm' (which is still available via the "Curve Calculation Style' bar option). With the cubic bezier style each curve consists of one or more connected 'segments' or 'sections'. Each section hase two endpoints (green) and two control points (red). The button 'Add Section' adds a new section with two endpoints and two control points to those bars. The advantage of the Bezier style is that the curve intersects all sections start and end points (green).
The 'Bernstein' algorithem (the new default value) is a slightly different approach. With this style a curve has only one section. The section still has two endpoints (green), but up to 32 control points (red) instead of only 2. The 'Add Section' button adds 4 additional control points (red) to a 'Bernstein' curve.
Fixed:
- cooldown texture now is shaped correctly in dynamic mode
- flickering cd texture on first cd animation fixed
- macro buttons are now correctly shown as enabled instead of disabled/not usable (shaded)
- new sections now 'continue' the last section (instead of being aligned to the bar anchor)
- button texts are now hidden if the parent button is hidden
- last remaining section on a bar can't be removed
- it's now possible to remove all buttons on a bar (just the bar anchor remains)
- many more

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOME KNOWN BUGS & MISSING FEATURES
- multiple sections are not displayed as expected (button shape/rotation on section transitions is wrong)
- small curve radius is not handled
- button placement is not correct (padding to small/big for some buttons)
- button type 'compagnion' do not work
- button type 'battlepet' do not work
- button type 'equipmentset' do not work
- button type 'pet action' do not work
- button type 'flyout' do not work
- ... and many more
03-18-14, 04:43 PM   #7
Duugu
Premium Member

0.0.4 (Alpha)
New:
- BAB now supports companion pet buttons. The companion pet buttons support drag and drop out
of combat only. (all other button types are still able to handle drag & drop in combat)

Fixed:
- fixed the overlapping icon texture bug ... again (sorry). Texture paths' with capital letters
("INTERFACE\\ICONS" instead of "Interface\\Icons") where not replaced as desired.
- Renamed LibActionBound and LibKeyBound to unique names to prevent that the customized
libs are replaced by standard or newer versions from other addons.
04-04-14, 09:38 AM   #8
Duugu
Premium Member

Update:

I'm currently working on the first beta version and there are still some bugs and minor features to resolve/implement.

I'll upload the ready-to-play beta version this weekend.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » BAB Bars Alpha