Quantcast A survey for WoW gamers(55+) and winning $100 - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
05-14-14, 12:06 PM   #1
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
A survey for WoW gamers(55+) and winning $100

Dear World of Warcraft gamers,

If you are aged 55+, you are welcome to take a survey about the social and emotional impacts of playing WoW on older adults. It is part of a 4-year founded project: “Aging well, can digital games help?”

Our goal is to examine how to use digital games to improve the quality of life of older adults. In addition to exploring questions about your WoW playing experiences, our study explores the potential social and emotional benefits of playing WoW, like dealing with loneliness, depression and isolation issues.

Here is the survey link: http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/davi...dults-and-wow/

The survey will take approximately 10 minutes. To maintain the confidentiality of survey response, after submitting the survey, you will be directed to a separate website to provide contact info if you wish to become eligible for the lucky draw of two $100 cash prizes.

This research has received ethics approval and is being conducted under permission of the Simon Fraser University Research Ethics Board. If you have any concerns or complaints with respect to your participation in this research as a participant, please direct them to Dr. Jeffrey Toward, Director, Office of Research Ethics at [email protected] or (1) 778-782-6593.


I'd like to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to complete the survey.

Emily Zhang
PhD Candidate,
Faculty of Education
Simon Fraser University
Vancouver, Canada

Last edited by Emily : 05-27-14 at 11:06 AM.
  Reply With Quote
05-14-14, 06:37 PM   #2
myrroddin
A Molten Giant
 
myrroddin's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 912
Survey not found! Not that I could do it anyway; I'm too young.

In any case, neat to see SFU show up for one of these
  Reply With Quote
05-14-14, 07:06 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.
 
Phanx's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,617
Yeah, link is broken. Looks like it was copied and pasted after being posted on another forum that also truncates the displayed URL text.
__________________
Author/maintainer of Grid, PhanxChat, oUF_Phanx, and many more.
Troubleshoot an addonTurn any code into an addonMore addon resources
Need help with your code? Post all of your actual code! Attach or paste your files.
Please don’t PM me about addon bugs or code questions. Post a comment or forum thread instead!
  Reply With Quote
05-14-14, 08:27 PM   #4
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Dridzt's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,251
This is the original link I'm guessing.

http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/davi...dults-and-wow/
  Reply With Quote
05-16-14, 10:33 AM   #5
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
This is the original link I'm guessing.

http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/davi...dults-and-wow/
Thank you very much.
  Reply With Quote
05-16-14, 10:34 AM   #6
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Survey not found! Not that I could do it anyway; I'm too young.

In any case, neat to see SFU show up for one of these
Thank you very much for allowing me to post the survey link.
  Reply With Quote
05-21-14, 10:36 PM   #7
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Dear survey respondents, thank you very much for your time and support. Until now, we got 54 participants.

But we need a total of 500 participants. Our goal is to explore whether playing WoW is an effective way to deal with some issues experienced by older adults, like loneliness and social-isolation. This kind of research is very significant to them.

If you are aged 55+, and a WoW player, please take a few minutes to complete the survey. Your participation is extremely important to the success of this project.
  Reply With Quote
05-21-14, 11:39 PM   #8
JDoubleU00
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
 
JDoubleU00's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 340
What is significant about being 55? I'm close (53) and would like to take the survey.

Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Dear survey respondents, thank you very much for your time and support. Until now, we got 54 participants.

But we need a total of 500 participants. Our goal is to explore whether playing WoW is an effective way to deal with some issues experienced by older adults, like loneliness and social-isolation. This kind of research is very significant to them.

If you are aged 55+, and a WoW player, please take a few minutes to complete the survey. Your participation is extremely important to the success of this project.
  Reply With Quote
05-22-14, 11:45 PM   #9
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by rocnroll View Post
What is significant about being 55? I'm close (53) and would like to take the survey.
Thank you very much for your interest. In my opinion, "55" is still young.

In some countries, the retirement age is 55(, although it is 65 in other countries). We set "55" as the age limit because some people at this age may be retired, and thus lose some social contact. We want to know whether playing WoW is an effective way to increase social interaction.
  Reply With Quote
05-23-14, 07:57 PM   #10
JDoubleU00
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
 
JDoubleU00's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 340
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Thank you very much for your interest. In my opinion, "55" is still young.

In some countries, the retirement age is 55(, although it is 65 in other countries). We set "55" as the age limit because some people at this age may be retired, and thus lose some social contact. We want to know whether playing WoW is an effective way to increase social interaction.
Thanks, that makes sense.
  Reply With Quote
05-23-14, 09:57 PM   #11
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
We got 60 participants now. Thank you very much.
  Reply With Quote
05-25-14, 07:40 PM   #12
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Hello, we got 69 participants now. If you haven't done it, please take a few minutes to complete the survey. If you quit the survey in the middle, you still can take it again. Your participation is important to the success of this project.

Thank you very much
  Reply With Quote
05-26-14, 11:20 PM   #13
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Hi everyone,

If you have any comment or question about this survey, please post them here. This will help us improve the quality of this research.
  Reply With Quote
05-27-14, 06:01 AM   #14
10leej
A Molten Giant
 
10leej's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 573
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Hi everyone,

If you have any comment or question about this survey, please post them here. This will help us improve the quality of this research.
Likely going to have to run the survey on other wise as well if your not already doing it.
__________________
Tweets Website
  Reply With Quote
05-27-14, 10:14 PM   #15
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Hi,
Here are some backgrounds for this study.

In the spring 2013, we did a survey about general digital games playing among older adults. We found many older adults play digital games with their grandchildren.

In the spring 2014, we did a Wii Bowling experiment. We had 20 teams, each of which had 4 members. These teams competed with each other. We assessed how playing game together affects their social interaction. Here is the score board: http://wiibowl.wordpress.com/

Now, we are doing this WoW survey. Our next step is to conduct a WoW experiment to assesss the cognitive impacts of playing WoW on older adults.
  Reply With Quote
05-29-14, 05:54 PM   #16
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Hi,
we have got 88 participants now.
  Reply With Quote
05-29-14, 08:38 PM   #17
JDoubleU00
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
 
JDoubleU00's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 340
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Hi,
we have got 88 participants now.
FYI. I got my son playing WoW.
  Reply With Quote
05-31-14, 08:44 AM   #18
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 126
Completed the survey
A 63 year old gamer!
__________________
Saanlem
US Nazgrel - Bikutanda
EU Lightbringer - Saanlem
  Reply With Quote
06-02-14, 05:08 PM   #19
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by saanlem View Post
Completed the survey
A 63 year old gamer!
Thank you for your time and support.
  Reply With Quote
06-02-14, 05:10 PM   #20
Emily
A Cyclonian
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Hi, we got 103 responses now.
Again, if you haven't done it , please take a few minutes to complete the survey.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » A survey for WoW gamers(55+) and winning $100

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off