WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Windows 8 KB2821895 / KB2845533 heads up (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46659)

Haleth 06-13-13 08:21 AM

Windows 8 KB2821895 / KB2845533 heads up

For anyone who's running Windows 8 and didn't yet install Wednesday's updates, be careful: KB2821895 has been reported by some to corrupt system files and causes the System File Checker to hang. This has been reported to Microsoft. KB2845533 on the other hand appears to remove the option that lets you decide whether or not a password is required on startup (Win+R -> netplwiz). It's not clear whether this is intended.

Kkthnx 06-13-13 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleth (Post 279499)
For anyone who's running Windows 8 and didn't yet install Wednesday's updates, be careful: KB2821895 has been reported by some to corrupt system files and causes the System File Checker to hang. This has been reported to Microsoft. KB2845533 on the other hand appears to remove the option that lets you decide whether or not a password is required on startup (Win+R -> netplwiz). It's not clear whether this is intended.

Thanks, I updated and I am running smooth still. They just need to release windows 8.1 aka windows blue. bringing back that start menu :D

Kendian 06-13-13 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kkthnxbye™ (Post 279500)
Thanks, I updated and I am running smooth still. They just need to release windows 8.1 aka windows blue. bringing back that start menu :D

There are some shells and WindowBlinds that offer a start menu for windows 8~

Dridzt 06-13-13 10:37 AM

One of the free (no bundled crap either) options.
http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

Clamsoda 06-13-13 10:53 AM

Cnet did a decent review of a lot of available options for start menus in Windows 8.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7...-in-windows-8/

That being said; I am still using Windows 7. How does everyone like Windows 8 (besides the metro start of course)?

ravagernl 06-13-13 12:20 PM

I personally run mac only, however my brother suggested using pokki. I guess it's just personal preference :)

Marthisdil 06-13-13 01:42 PM

Quote:

I just use Start8 - costs $5. But I don't need the start menu much anyways.

10leej 06-13-13 04:22 PM

Quote:

Actually the start button in 8.1 takes you to the start screen, no menu

Tonyleila 06-14-13 09:51 AM

Hmm I'm using Windows 7 and my PC freezed 3 times since the update this week :/
Also the pc restarted while I was playing wow because that 15 min untill restart poped up in the background also I was playing in maxed window mode I did not see it.

Nibelheim 06-14-13 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyleila (Post 279540)
Hmm I'm using Windows 7 and my PC freezed 3 times since the update this week :/

In the past I'd normally install updates as soon as they came out. Lately though I've been delaying them a few days just to see if any issues arise. It feels like their reliability has gone down.

Kkthnx 06-14-13 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10leej (Post 279523)
Actually the start button in 8.1 takes you to the start screen, no menu

I obtained a leaked version I played around on and it was a normal start menu, now unless they changed it in a new build then they have no clue and are not listening to their community.. Wait they never have, :eek: anyways.. I do use start8 picked it up back in beta. Then bought the live version for 5 bucks. :D

Haleth 06-14-13 01:13 PM

I should've known this would turn into a discussion about the start menu :p

I really don't get all the fuss about it. The new Start Screen works exactly how the start menu works when you think about it:

- You open it by clicking the bottom left corner or pressing the Windows key
- You can search just by typing (although admittedly this functionality is far too hidden in Windows 8)
- You can pin programs (apps) to it, except in Windows 8 you can have a lot more

Plus, you get live tiles, which you don't with the start menu.

My only gripe with it is that non-metro apps have ugly tiles and you need to get third-party apps to customize it. Also, we should be able to have custom live tiles somehow.

Xrystal 06-14-13 03:26 PM

I noticed the change recently with Windows 8 but not thought much about it. Getting home at 10pm almost means I pretty much don't do anything apart from eat and sleep rofl.

But in regards to how the start menu works in windows 8 I find it works simply on a larger scale, instead of a small vertical bar with drop off menus you have everything you want on the screen. The apps you use a lot, simply put on the left side of the menu, those you use the least, on the right. Simply scroll as necessary.

But thanks for the heads up on the windows key access. I didn't even think of seeing if that still worked in windows 8 haha.