WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   MoP Beta archived threads (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Power Auras Classic 5.0 (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43736)

Meorawr 07-17-12 11:21 AM

Power Auras Classic 5.0
 
It's been a 'small' while in the making, and it involved a 'minor' change to the codebase, but YEEHAW! Public alpha quality release, yeah!

Link: Click me. No, seriously, do it.

Feedback/suggestions either go in this thread, or in the comments. I'll look at both, and ignore them just as equally <3

Meorawr 07-17-12 11:25 AM

One more reserved post that I can use should something require it. If nothing does require it, then this post shall become neglected and will probably cry. In the event of crying, please offer this post some warm milk and cookies. Thank you.

Seerah 07-17-12 01:01 PM

/applause :D

Gregity 07-17-12 10:52 PM

One of my favorite addons
 
Great job on the tutorial, thanks for the update! Looking forward to the beta.

Unkn 07-18-12 09:18 PM

We really need some sort of upvote system here. I'd so give you some Meorawr.

Will a couple dancing bananas do?:banana::banana::banana:

Quanee 07-19-12 04:35 AM

I love the new version but there's a small problem I'm trying to sort out for like an hour now, pretty much made account just to ask about it. Where do I enter a name of buff that is supposed to activate my aura/timer? You used HP level for example.

Meorawr 07-19-12 09:36 AM

Three dancing bananas is offensive to my people. Two would be acceptable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quanee (Post 258414)
I love the new version but there's a small problem I'm trying to sort out for like an hour now, pretty much made account just to ask about it. Where do I enter a name of buff that is supposed to activate my aura/timer? You used HP level for example.

In the dropdown that had you select "Unit Health", you'd instead select "Unit Buff/Debuff". I'm intending to add tooltips to each of the items in the dropdown that covers what each type is actually for, just not gotten around to it yet.

N30 07-19-12 11:50 AM

is normal i cant use Flame Shock icon on an aura thet need only show me if FS isn't on the target?

the aura itself work when fs expire it show but eaven if on surce>texture i select buff/debuff on target id 8050 (flame shock) it instead show a WoW icon logo XD

Meorawr 07-19-12 11:54 AM

Half a bug, half unimplemented. Will fix soon-ish :)

Quanee 07-19-12 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meorawr (Post 258428)
Three dancing bananas is offensive to my people. Two would be acceptable.



In the dropdown that had you select "Unit Health", you'd instead select "Unit Buff/Debuff". I'm intending to add tooltips to each of the items in the dropdown that covers what each type is actually for, just not gotten around to it yet.

I figured that one out, it's just there is no box name for debuff/buff name to enter. No clue where to type in "Inquisition".

N30 07-19-12 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quanee (Post 258441)
I figured that one out, it's just there is no box name for debuff/buff name to enter. No clue where to type in "Inquisition".

you see id txtbox type there the id of spell idk if you could allready use the spell name so go on wowhead and snip the id spell and put in it

btw authors... try redoing the ui i have in live i noticed few thing
1st - spell cd triggre work reversed XD to make it show if the spell is in cd i got to invert the trigger.
2nd - the spell CD is triggered with few second of lag (in bot direction when cd get triggered and expire)..... for example i normaly track LvB for surge proc, in live it work amazingly eaven a lil before omni cc and spell key say it, on beta it get triggered atlast 1-2 second after
3rd - is ****ing hard positioning things without see them on bkground
4rth - timers with spell cd trigger seams not working propely (suppose is still not fully implemented)

Meorawr 07-19-12 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quanee (Post 258441)
I figured that one out, it's just there is no box name for debuff/buff name to enter. No clue where to type in "Inquisition".

Should be in the editbox titled "Match". You can use the spell name just fine, and it also allows the use of Lua's pattern matching skills (which is a new-ish feature). At the moment there's no way to disable the pattern matching though, so be careful with special characters (anything alphanumeric should be fine).

Quote:

Originally Posted by N30 (Post 258447)
you see id txtbox type there the id of spell idk if you could allready use the spell name so go on wowhead and snip the id spell and put in it

btw authors... try redoing the ui i have in live i noticed few thing
1st - spell cd triggre work reversed XD to make it show if the spell is in cd i got to invert the trigger.

Intended, the localised name for it is wrong though. In the code it's called SpellOffCooldown, but the name is Spell Cooldown. Will make this clearer :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by N30 (Post 258447)
2nd - the spell CD is triggered with few second of lag (in bot direction when cd get triggered and expire)..... for example i normaly track LvB for surge proc, in live it work amazingly eaven a lil before omni cc and spell key say it, on beta it get triggered atlast 1-2 second after

We'll look into it, but there shouldn't be a delay. It could just be beta server latency, or a client bug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by N30 (Post 258447)
3rd - is ****ing hard positioning things without see them on bkground

Known issues cover this, I disabled them a few days ago because of a few changes I'd made. Next release should have them re-enabled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by N30 (Post 258447)
4rth - timers with spell cd trigger seams not working propely (suppose is still not fully implemented)

Not yet implemented :)

Meorawr 07-19-12 01:48 PM

A small note on releases, we'll aim to do them fairly frequently (at most, a week between each), but they'll contain enough changes between each one to warrant actual testing.

Next release will hopefully have the previews on the main screen re-enabled, also aiming to clean up/polish the trigger editors as well as fix issues with them.

On top of that, I've added keyboard shortcuts as an experiment, they're only implemented on the browser for now but you can do things like Ctrl+N for creating a new aura. If they're stable enough we'll consider additional ones for the editor window (Ctrl+Shift+N for creating a display?). Plus if we do keep them, I'll be sure to add in some way to change their bindings :)

Currently working on the activation editor, and with that I'll also put in more triggers/sources to play around with.

P.S. Don't expect a weekend update, GW2 and all.

yodawhip 07-22-12 03:00 PM

are u kidding me?
 
Where is the logical navigation in using this utility versus its predecessor?

You have to program for the end user in mind, not to pat yourself on the back for making a utility convoluted in it's utility. It loses its function & purpose.

I applaud your exceptional skill in coding, but I disgusted by the underlying premise that one has to be perplexed by a simple addon (that is so widely used,) that uses simple logical functions, only b/c you have to prove something to your audience.

Are we supposed to traverse the app from left to right, top-down, or a combination of both?

What a mess. What were possibly thinking in this monstrosity in design navigation?

Occam's razor

Torhal 07-22-12 04:42 PM

Wow. Unnecessarily scathing, given that the original post clearly stated:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meorawr (Post 258332)
Note that pretty much all of the UI is EXTREMELY rough around the edges, and is not user friendly/intuitive in some spots. Mainly due to missing features or controls. We're working on it, but as people keep nagging for a release we'll put this out there so people can say "Well, I wanted a release and it was bad, now I'll be quiet!".


Meorawr 07-22-12 05:13 PM

Warning: This is a literal wall of text.

I'll help you out here. Now, after reading that feel free to elaborate on the following points, 'cause all I got out of that post was one usable piece of feedback.

The point I got was: GUI too complicated in terms of navigation. I'll cover it in a lot of depth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodawhip (Post 258603)
Where is the logical navigation in using this utility versus its predecessor?

You have to program for the end user in mind, not to pat yourself on the back for making a utility convoluted in it's utility. It loses its function & purpose.

The 'end user' is a terrible term simply because it's too broad. People who like advanced features would ask me to cater to them, people who like the basic stuff would ask me to cater to them instead. Blizzard gets a lot of hate because catering to 10 million people is kinda difficult, and it's still true even with a much smaller figure.

Regarless of this however, the end user is still in mind at all times. The difficulty comes in balancing power with ease of use, and the ugly truth of it is you simply can't have both. You can try, and do a damn good job in the process, but ultimately some things will be sacrificed on either side of the fence. As an example, I'll say that even with the 'advanced' editor you cannot match the power of just outright manually editing the saved variables.

Let's imagine for a second that ease of use and raw power are two fields of grass, right next to each other. The current state of the GUI is what you'd get if you tried to ride a unicycle across the field while juggling pianos and breathing fire.

And that's perfectly fine, because:
Quote:

alpha quality release
Nothing is final, and all is subject to change. In fact, the reason the GUI is 'complicated' right now is actually a concious decision made for the alpha release. Most people probably won't use, or will very rarely use the 'advanced' features that 5.0 adds, so they'll be sticking to the basic editor tools which are still under works.

But for the sake of testing, we don't want that - an unused system simply gets a lot less interaction and will be subject to far more bugs than a simple one would, and we want to iron out the issues with the advanced systems as a priority. Having the advanced ones work mean that we can safely say, should something go pear-shaped, "oh you'll need to do x and y to get it working, here's how".

In addition, the basic tools need work so that they're easy to use for the average end user, so delaying an alpha release just for them is a bit of a silly idea when we can just slap in a basic tutorial and the words 'alpha', which it would seem that too many people are skipping over.

As for patting myself on the back, I'm curious where you're getting that impression from. Generally that happens after a job well done no? Well we're lacking the critical 'done' point still, and the 'well' point is still somewhere over the hills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodawhip (Post 258603)
I applaud your exceptional skill in coding

Judging from this and the patting on the back, I imagine you view me as some sort of highly conceited egotistical person just out to ruin the addon. I don't do this stuff for kicks and to show off, I can safely assure you of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodawhip (Post 258603)
but I disgusted by the underlying premise that one has to be perplexed by a simple addon (that is so widely used,) that uses simple logical functions,

Simple? No. While the 'mission statement' of the addon sounds simple (show/hide stuff in response to buffs/debuffs, paraphrasing the description), that was maybe three-four years ago. Simple buff/debuff tracking was the bread and butter, and it grew to house other conditions (pet, combo points, etc.) until the addon became a fully featured kitchen.

The thing is, the 4.x series is comparatively weaker than most alternatives. There's no possible way you can refute that, let's list some of the limitations or great 'user experience' choices that 4.x has:
  • Basic display types only: You can have either a texture, or textual string (not both), and a timer/stacks counter per aura. Want both a texture and text display? Make two auras, and either manually duplicate and edit both auras to activate via the same conditions, or use the unintuitive and complicated aura linking system. Now tell me which of those is actually intuitive and isn't a major pain to manage? In addition there's also no support for things like timer bars, which has been requested a lot.
  • Limited activation conditions: I want to track my rage when my target's health is <= 30%. Generic execute style aura, yes? Now create it. You'll first need one aura to track one condition, then you'll need to hide or otherwise disable it, and then you'll need to configure the second aura with the other condition, make it look pretty and link the two using that ID's editbox that isn't even labelled. Do you realise how many comments we get asking about this type of scenario? Quite a few.
  • Altering a display in response to something: This expands upon the previous point, say you want the aura to change colour based upon another condition. Good luck with all the linking and configuring.

Now let's see how 5.0 solves these issues (in order of what was mentioned before):
  • You can have up to 128 displays of any type. "Wow, now I don't have to link displays. Wait, if I want to, there's dialogs for visually picking the element I'm linking to? Cool, no more guessing ID's!".
  • You can use the 'basic' activation editor, which will be functionally the same as the old one, or the 'advanced' editor which you have now and that allows you to combine up to 63 triggers in order to show a display. I'll also add that user friendliness doesn't involve having 1.5 million controls visible onscreen at once, that's called scaring people, and is something we fixed.
  • Display actions. 'Nuff said.

And I'll point out the tutorials tab while I'm here. Before you retort with 'if I need a tutorial to use the GUI, then it sucks', I'll happily point out that the contents of the tutorials are actually going to cover a broad spectrum of areas both basic and advanced. And I might even drop the most basic tutorials, simply because they sound so condescending. I do like to imagine our users having the aptitude to at least tie their shoe laces correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodawhip (Post 258603)
only b/c you have to prove something to your audience.

Either offer constructive feedback without personal attacks, or get out.

Curiously enough, we have a place where users can submit suggestions and vote on them. Know what the highest upvoted feature is? Changing the styles of displays in response to events. Take a guess as to what the core feature we decided to do all this work for was. Then we expanded on it to match the feature set offered by various alternative addons, and now we're at that point where we can say 'yep'.

To infer that we did all this work just for accolades and to show off is downright insulting, especially when combined with a post from someone who clearly missed the word 'alpha', which has appeared in the first post alone three times, and is even mentioned ingame via that huge changelog dialog which covers a lot of points. One is also led to assume you skipped over that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodawhip (Post 258603)
Are we supposed to traverse the app from left to right, top-down, or a combination of both?

What a mess. What were possibly thinking in this monstrosity in design navigation?

Let's start with the aura list, or the 'browser'. Navigation-wise, the browser is, functionally, exactly the same between the two versions, or it at least will be when the missing things get implemented. The visual style is different, and we added a tab for the Layouts feature which may not even make it fully into 5.0 (delayed until 5.1 maybe). Things we changed were removing character/global auras, and adding a toggle between a more compact (icon) view, which is identical to before, and the default list view.

Character/global auras were removed because profile support was another heavily requested feature, and logically we can't keep trans-profile (global) auras in without messy hacks that threaten the stability of parts of the loading code.

Moving on to the editor, that's changed. Completely. So let's begin with the immediate issue.

Tabs at the top will confuse new users. They likely won't know what an action/trigger is, as they're not common terms. A display is pretty straightforward, so that's not an issue. The tutorials tab is hosted in the editor temporarily.

The immediate and 'simple' fix to this is to hide the top tabs unless the user says they want full power. But let's say we did do that, where would we put the option? We need somewhere obvious that isn't a hunt for the user to find, 'cause that's equally just as bad. We could slap the checkbox on the window, and then it looks ugly and fixes nothing, because now you've got controls sticking out that don't make any sense. We could slap it in the Displays section, but then it's not relevant to the displays. See the issue?

Next up, use of breadcrumbs as the main navigation. Hate to say it, but it's the best choice. We tried many navigation methods, but this was by far the best of the lot.

4.x navigation isn't really 'navigation', it's more "how many controls can we blind the user with at one time". It has one real advantage, it's quick to use if you want to edit one specific thing within ~0.1 second. The downsides on the other hand are fairly numerous; we can't add new features to it simply because there's no space. The window is already far too large, and having half a million controls in your face isn't user friendly. In addition, a lot of the controls are poorly labelled, or completely lack labels, and some of the behaviour is just bizarre.

We tried a treeview approach, whereby the displays were listed on the left inside of a tree and on the right was a tab frame with each tab being dedicated to a specific task (style/activation/animation). This was almost the one we settled on, and was pretty effective. We then moved to the breadcrumb style we have now, and stuck with it for the following reasons:
  • Less screen real-estate is needed, the treeview was ~170px wide and the rest of the pane was our editor. Even with the current editor size, the end result was it being highly cramped. The breadcrumb system uses a 40px high bar. That's all. And we traded that free space for a usable sidebar with relevant information based upon what you're editing, with help text included.
  • Expanding on the crampedness, three tabs was all we could fit on the window without risking it overflowing in certain localisations (German is a real schmerz* for this). This meant adding more stuff to the existing tabs, which results in lengthy editor pages with scrollbars and lots of visible controls, or having to introduce collapsible headers which we tried and didn't like.
  • It didn't end up being any harder to use than the treeview. Arguably, it was easier: the treeview's items were labelled like 'Display #1', and so on. We then categorised it by display type, but that hides the ID numbers which can be used in certain situations. With the breadcrumbs, we moved to a previewable grid so you know what you're picking, because you're visually clicking a miniature preview of it. And if they're too small/large, there's a zoom button in the tray.

Comparing the breadcrumbs and 4.x style navigation has kind of been done, and as I said they both have advantages and issues. One point you could raise is that the breadcrumbs make things too 'distant', and that there's too many clicks to get to a certain section. It's something I'm highly aware of, and have been desperately trying to avoid for a while now, however this is an issue that is mostly only prevalent with the 'advanced' editors - simply because 'advanced' things include multiple animation channels, display actions, and complex trigger logic.

The 'basic' editors won't include any form of support for these. In fact, the 'basic' animation editor is going to be completely akin to the existing 4.x one with the whole "single"/"repeat" concept hidden, along with channels.

Coming to the list of categories after selecting a display, we tried various ways of sorting and filtering that list too. Alphabetically is just a 'nice' way of doing it, but is far from ideal. The problem is how do you weigh each area in importance? Style is important, but Activation is what you need to make it show. Animations aren't too important, neither are sounds, but how do they weigh when compared to the advanced features, more or less important? I'd argue that the look and feel is the least important, but there's many people who would disagree when sorting those out.

We could filter them, but going back again I mentioned that this release is designed to test the advanced components, because we need them to be working. You aren't going to do a whole lot of testing if I just filter half the categories out, and most people aren't going to read a simple 'please test this', because as has been proven time and time again, people don't read stuff. We cover a lot of 'basic' things in the addon description, yet it still frequently crops up in a comment.

There's a significant amount of things I particularly hate about the current system, most notably I think the Sources system is still a major thorn. It adds a lot of power, but is about as friendly as a hungry shark. We can fix this with the basic editor by simply outright removing it in some way, but that's a little off right now in terms of priorities (in fact, the 'basic' components are quite low on priority until after the next release).

Another thorn in our side is the handling of action 'sequences', but as actions are an advanced feature on purpose it's likely going to be much less of an issue than I'm thinking.

One solution I frequently see is some sort of basic/advanced toggle. We'll be using them, but they'll be used very sparingly. For instance, the basic activation editor has one of these toggles for swapping between the basic version and your current advanced one. Basic will automatically become unusable if you create something too advanced for it to handle safely, but otherwise all's good.

Judging from your post, you've seemingly got some ideas (which you chose not to share) on how to tackle navigation so I'll invite you to constructively give feedback. Simply calling the current system a monstrosity and implying it need to be scrapped immediately is far from constructive. We've tried many systems and settled on these ones, and it'll make a lot more sense why we've done so when all of the editor features are actually implemented.

Jesus, thirty paragraphs...

* Google translate, if it makes no sense blame it, not I.

suicidalkatt 07-22-12 07:29 PM

Looking forward to the progress
 
I personally love the new look, unfortunately it'll take a bit more time to get from option a and b with the tab / menus however I still like its new approach.

One thing I'd deeply love to have implemented is text coord support and perhaps a media table that can have 3rd party addons implement 'texture packs' or 'sound packs' which would easily be implemented and not hurt any coding if done properly.

I'd love to work with you if you're interested. I worked with Smacker a while ago and gave him some textures, sounds, and font graphics.

Looking forward to helping your testing!!

Also, to those going crazy in the thread, stop exploding please :rolleyes:

Meorawr 07-22-12 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidalkatt (Post 258615)
I personally love the new look, unfortunately it'll take a bit more time to get from option a and b with the tab / menus however I still like its new approach.

I don't like the added time to go from A to B, so if there's a reasonable solution you can count on it appearing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidalkatt (Post 258615)
One thing I'd deeply love to have implemented is text coord support and perhaps a media table that can have 3rd party addons implement 'texture packs' or 'sound packs' which would easily be implemented and not hurt any coding if done properly.

Already possible:
Lua Code:
  1. --- Registers a new texture set. If the set already exists, it is replaced.
  2. -- @param name The name of the texture set.
  3. -- @param iter Iterator function for accessing texture paths.
  4. function PowerAuras:RegisterTextureSet(name, iter);
  5.  
  6. --- Registers a new sound set. If the set already exists, it is replaced.
  7. -- @param name The name of the sound set.
  8. -- @param iter Iterator function for accessing sound paths.
  9. function PowerAuras:RegisterSoundSet(name, iter);

There's also one for fonts and 'counters' (timer/stack fonts basically). Iterator returns vary based upon the resource type, but for sounds it's "index (number), path (string), name (string)". For textures, it's just the first two items. The PowerAuras/Media.lua file contains the default ones.

The function is safe to call immediately, don't need to wait for ADDON_LOADED so long as the dependency on it is there.

Texcoords were kinda planned but I backed out of them, I'll reconsider it. Issue is exposing them in a 'pretty' way.

suicidalkatt 07-22-12 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meorawr (Post 258616)
Already possible:
Lua Code:
  1. --- Registers a new texture set. If the set already exists, it is replaced.
  2. -- @param name The name of the texture set.
  3. -- @param iter Iterator function for accessing texture paths.
  4. function PowerAuras:RegisterTextureSet(name, iter);
  5.  
  6. --- Registers a new sound set. If the set already exists, it is replaced.
  7. -- @param name The name of the sound set.
  8. -- @param iter Iterator function for accessing sound paths.
  9. function PowerAuras:RegisterSoundSet(name, iter);

There's also one for fonts and 'counters' (timer/stack fonts basically). Iterator returns vary based upon the resource type, but for sounds it's "index (number), path (string), name (string)". For textures, it's just the first two items. The PowerAuras/Media.lua file contains the default ones.

The function is safe to call immediately, don't need to wait for ADDON_LOADED so long as the dependency on it is there.

Interesting! But a nice dropdown menu for a texture set would be awesome! (I haven't tested this release so I have no idea what you've implemented).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meorawr (Post 258616)
Texcoords were kinda planned but I backed out of them, I'll reconsider it. Issue is exposing them in a 'pretty' way.

Perhaps a simple 'advanced' button or checkbox to enable some hidden options.

Siku 07-23-12 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidalkatt (Post 258617)
Perhaps a simple 'advanced' button or checkbox to enable some hidden options.

I don't know, in the final product, when we get a basic and advanced (current options), switching to advanced mode and see i have to click on an advanced button to see texcoords seems kinda redundant.

suicidalkatt 07-23-12 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siku (Post 258619)
I don't know, in the final product, when we get a basic and advanced (current options), switching to advanced mode and see i have to click on an advanced button to see texcoords seems kinda redundant.

I haven't looked at the options currently. Perhaps there's already an 'advanced' section?

It'd be a single toggle to enable advanced options across the addon's option tables.

silverhatred 07-23-12 05:51 AM

Dislikes:
I dislike how timers are now a separate aura that you have to rebuild completely.
-Solution: Just build a timer into the settings of the texture and not make a timer the texture.

I dislike how the aura itself is built around a picture and not a spell/name, ie spell names are just a mere setting not the cornerstone.
-Solution: Back in the old PA, you had one aura that did one thing based around a name. Now with the new if/then activation trigger scenario you can tie a much smarter ai into your auras. However more often than not I will do duplicate settings to several different "textures." Either have the setup based on the name, or have the setup based on an activation. Either way you end up having to do both for everything and it seems like the original "aura" you set up is more like an organizational folder.

There seems to be an extra unnecessary layer between the browser and the textures. I realize that this layer is put there because of timers and charges and stacks as well as multiple triggers on separate auras but there really isn't a need to set up this stuff when you can just source the event triggers.
-Solution: have the "group" of spell events be a level higher than the initial creation, not way deeper in.

I know its still in developement but honestly being able to go in and quickly change/add something new is fundamental to testing this. I love all of the new features and I know I could get used to the new ui, its just the placement and flow of it seems like a skinny bookcase with wide novels.
-Solution: Group the settings more intelligently. For example "style" and "Layout and Positioning" should pretty much be the same catagory since people are going to be doing both of those at once more often than not.

Likes:
You seem to have put quite a bit of work into this and I definitely appreciate that.

Your tutorial is great I would love to see moar once you get the ui worked out.

All of the new options with animations and combining different events is great and I have been wanting something like that for awhile.

Waiting on:
Using the original spell texture automatically.
-Maybe I am just stupid but I couldn't find a way to do this without adding the texture to the folder myself and calling it.

Quicker feedback on aura changes.
-Seeing the texture while making settings to it would be great, still a work in progress I know but it discourages me from doing any testing expecially when the breadcrumb interface is seemingly long. Clicking and dragging around the aura for quick placement is missed. Slidebars as well.

Thats all for now, I really want to see this addon become great in mop and I am posting what I believe to be true. If you need anything clarified let me know.

N30 07-23-12 06:05 AM

about the new texture scale, seams in advanced mode thry are in px, in simple mode the will be in % like on live version or in px, if they are in px is possible implement a scale switcher (px<=>%) on both mode?

Meorawr 07-23-12 07:58 AM

Great feedback in general, I'll cover it in hopefully less than thirty paragraphs this time :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidalkatt (Post 258617)
Interesting! But a nice dropdown menu for a texture set would be awesome! (I haven't tested this release so I have no idea what you've implemented).

There's a texture picking dialog which allows you to preview textures and filter them by set, so it's a bit better than a dropdown :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidalkatt (Post 258617)
Perhaps a simple 'advanced' button or checkbox to enable some hidden options.

I don't like advanced/basic toggles for small things though. A toggle for just one (or two) settings seems really unnecessary. For all intents and purposes, the 'Style' section of the editor is "done".

I might just add the setting in and see how it feels, realistically texcoords can be handled with just one control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siku (Post 258619)
I don't know, in the final product, when we get a basic and advanced (current options), switching to advanced mode and see i have to click on an advanced button to see texcoords seems kinda redundant.

At the moment, we're not entirely sure how many advanced toggles there'll be and where they'll be. Activation has one, and I'm probably adding one to the categories list to filter out half of the stuff. Either that, or I rework the categories list and split it into 'stuff you need to do' at the top, 'stuff you might like to do' in the middle and 'stuff you need a degree in astrophysics to use' at the bottom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
<entire post covered below>

Feedback <3
I love you :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
I dislike how timers are now a separate aura that you have to rebuild completely.
-Solution: Just build a timer into the settings of the texture and not make a timer the texture.

Completely agreed on the hate part, but the solution isn't one I particularly want to follow. One idea I'm running to a lot is the idea of 'transmuting' a display. I wouldn't call the feature that in the UI, but the idea is that you'd be able to take an existing display and say 'now create a timer that is linked to this one in almost every respect', and it'd automatically handle things like setting up the activation criteria as well as the sources mechanic for you.

I think by default, 'transmuting' a display would cause the editor to automatically synchronise all relevant settings between the two (so the sources/activation/animations/etc.), but should include options for unlocking parts so that they can be edited manually rather than be constantly updated.

The end result being that you could create a timer/stack counter/whatever from any existing display in one click and not have to worry about redoing the activation conditions, etc. However, if you wanted to, you'd still have the ability to create a custom timer and manually configure it all. Seems like a nice balance to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
I dislike how the aura itself is built around a picture and not a spell/name, ie spell names are just a mere setting not the cornerstone.
-Solution: Back in the old PA, you had one aura that did one thing based around a name. Now with the new if/then activation trigger scenario you can tie a much smarter ai into your auras. However more often than not I will do duplicate settings to several different "textures." Either have the setup based on the name, or have the setup based on an activation. Either way you end up having to do both for everything and it seems like the original "aura" you set up is more like an organizational folder.

I'll start at the end on this one, the aura system right now is an organizational folder. It kind of came into place because there's no pages now (we think they're unnecessary when you can organize stuff into auras). Originally the code didn't even have the concept of auras, but that was changed later in development because the editor would have been a giant pain without some form of organization.

The whole 'style vs. activation' thing comes up a lot in terms of 'which is more important?'. I'd agree that activation is more important, but in terms of navigation it's a lot easier to visually see your displays and say "that's the one I use for tracking my holy power" than it is to mouseover tooltips or remember their positioning.

Duplicating triggers and whatnot sort of overlaps with the first point, the 'transmute display' feature could/should fix that. Additionally I think creating dependencies should be promoted more as a 'basic' feature and as something the user should ideally do, as opposed to an advanced one. From a performance standpoint, dependencies are one of the cheapest trigger types. From an ease of use standpoint, they could be one of the easiest too when I put in their ID picking dialog because as it stands, they don't require you to duplicate triggers.

One feature I've seen a few times is some sort of multi-editing system whereby you could edit multiple things at once, so for instance you could select five texture displays and change their scale and colour in one go as opposed to five. It'd be a lot of work to implement, but it's feasible. Maybe not a 5.0 release thing however, we'd have to see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
There seems to be an extra unnecessary layer between the browser and the textures. I realize that this layer is put there because of timers and charges and stacks as well as multiple triggers on separate auras but there really isn't a need to set up this stuff when you can just source the event triggers.
-Solution: have the "group" of spell events be a level higher than the initial creation, not way deeper in.

I'm not sure what this point is covering, I'm afraid. At a stab I'm going to guess it's the Sources system and respond assuming that, but if I'm wrong then feel free to elaborate :)

I'll make this really clear, I don't like how sources are handled in the UI. Once again it comes to power vs. ease of use, and the sources are sort of like patch 3.0 retribution paladins. They hurt.

The thing is this though, you've currently been forced to live with the 'advanced' activation editor which lets you combine 63 triggers into some silly complex logic at your whim. That's good for power.

The 'basic' one doesn't let you do that, you get a single 'main' trigger and up to one of each 'support' trigger which cover things like "Is mounted", "Is in a battleground" and so on. Functionally, it's the same as the 4.x one just with a few tweaks here and there.

On the subject of editor 'depth', you don't have to go down a level to edit triggers in the basic editor. There's no navigation needed in the basic version, apart from making your way to 'activation'. Hopefully that's what all the basic editors will look like, but we'll evaluate it on a case by case basis.

Sources come in as an advanced feature for saying "timer, this is where you get your timing information from". When it comes to the basic activation editor, we can easily automate this and hide the feature outright (you may have seen the Edit Mode dropdown under the sources section including the option 'automatic').

When it comes to an advanced activation condition, things get hairy simply because a source is designed for taking information from one location, not 63. It can't automatically determine which of your triggers is most important. The best guess it might be able to take is to say "trigger #1 is important, therefore I shall try to use it as a source". The best solution to this would be to allow automatic synchronisation, but make the user decide which trigger is being used for it.

I think the solution to this is to just wait for the basic components and see how it gets handled, I think automatic source creation/syncing is the best route out of this whilst still keeping the system in for some extra power should some crazy scientist need it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
I know its still in developement but honestly being able to go in and quickly change/add something new is fundamental to testing this. I love all of the new features and I know I could get used to the new ui, its just the placement and flow of it seems like a skinny bookcase with wide novels.
-Solution: Group the settings more intelligently. For example "style" and "Layout and Positioning" should pretty much be the same catagory since people are going to be doing both of those at once more often than not.

I completely agree on the placement/flow issues in areas, but it's a balancing act of not trying to expose too much at one time while also exposing enough to keep things workable.

Two or so days before the initial release, Style and the Layout categories were merged. I split them to see how much of a difference it'd make, and to be honest I think it works a bit better split. The downside is the Layout category is very 'light' right now, however that might be because the Layouts feature in general is (almost) NYI. In addition, I hate scrollbars and that's what you'd be getting with a lot of the Style editors should I move layout stuff into there.

The thing with the layout system is, ultimately, I don't even want it in the editor. At the moment it's one of those necessary evils because the on-screen previews (as in, over-the-game-world previews) are disabled. Positioning displays simply by drag and drop feels the most natural than using pixels and dropdowns. I'll keep the layout editor in there, but I want the mouse interaction with displays to be able to do just as much as the editor would.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
You seem to have put quite a bit of work into this and I definitely appreciate that.

If you're saying this just to avoid a thirty paragraph response, then no need, only people who don't provide useful feedback get that treatment :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
Your tutorial is great I would love to see moar once you get the ui worked out.

Tutorials will be worked on toward the end, for obvious reasons. Hopefully I can find a good spot for the ingame tutorials that isn't inside of the editor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
All of the new options with animations and combining different events is great and I have been wanting something like that for awhile.

General feature progression. We're not just going to sit in the stone age :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
Waiting on:
Using the original spell texture automatically.
-Maybe I am just stupid but I couldn't find a way to do this without adding the texture to the folder myself and calling it.

Again, sources feature. One source type is "Texture". As a source is basically "get <x> information from <y>", you can configure it to say "get the texture information from <y>" where <y> is a location like a buff/debuff. There's a lack of sources in the current release, we'll fix that soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhatred (Post 258635)
Quicker feedback on aura changes.
-Seeing the texture while making settings to it would be great, still a work in progress I know but it discourages me from doing any testing expecially when the breadcrumb interface is seemingly long. Clicking and dragging around the aura for quick placement is missed. Slidebars as well.

This is mostly because the on-screen previews are disabled, as I've said. We'll be reimplementing them very soon. As for slidebars, I assume this is for selecting things like textures? We might just add mousewheel functionality if that's the case.

On a side note, how would you feel about a small hotkey for reducing the opacity of the editor to help view the main screen? Say, you mouseover the editor and press ctrl and it'll reduce the opacity of the window by ~75%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by N30 (Post 258637)
about the new texture scale, seams in advanced mode thry are in px, in simple mode the will be in % like on live version or in px, if they are in px is possible implement a scale switcher (px<=>%) on both mode?

At the moment it's all pixels all the way, simply because pixels let us merge two settings into one (the distortion setting in 4.x was the same as pixels, but incredibly stupid). If I put in scale, it'd be as a separate option as opposed to a simple switch. I can see why it's useful, and I've already been considering it.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking of visually marking the editor categories in some way after creating a new display to assist in telling people what they need to do next. So you create a new display and the 'activation' section is highlighted, or has an icon, or something. Maybe a tutorial-style popup telling you what to do next. In addition, some other form of quick navigation between categories seems pretty required at this point. Ideas welcome, so long as they're constructive :)

~25 paragraphs, success!

Meorawr 07-25-12 10:41 AM

Expect the next alpha release on sunday/monday-ish.

N30 07-28-12 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meorawr (Post 258737)
Expect the next alpha release on sunday/monday-ish.

a lil sneek-peek on new thing in the releas? XP

Meorawr 07-28-12 10:22 AM

Things that are done:
  • 70% done 'simple' activation editor.
  • Aggro trigger
  • Combo point trigger
  • Equipped Items/Equipment Set trigger
  • Pet trigger
  • Runes trigger
  • Dropdown tooltips
  • On-screen previews should be done by tomorrow
  • A few backend changes to make adding more features a bit easier :)

Things that might make it:
  • More trigger types
  • More source types (not been able to start on these yet I'm afraid)
  • Style editor for the Model display

Meorawr 07-28-12 10:46 AM

Sure, full trigger status atm:
  • Aggro: Implemented
  • ComboPoints: Implemented
  • Dependency: Implemented
  • Display State: Implemented
  • Equipment: Implemented, missing GUI
  • GTFO: Implemented
  • KillingBlow: Implemented
  • Pet: Implemented
  • PetStance: Implemented
  • Runes: Implemented
  • SpellAlert: Not yet implemented
  • SpellOffCooldown: Implemented
  • Stacks: Not yet implemented
  • Stance: Implemented. Includes support for presences/seals too
  • TimeRemaining: Implemented, but will be replaced soon
  • Totems: Not yet implemented
  • Tracking: Not yet implemented
  • UnitAura: Implemented
  • UnitAuraType: Not yet implemented
  • UnitData: Not yet implemented
  • UnitHealth: Implemented
  • UnitMatch: Not yet implemented
  • UnitPower: Implemented. Added support for all the new power types too
  • UnitPowerAlt: Not yet implemented
  • WeaponEnchant: Not yet implemented

You'll note a lot of the new ones say they have no GUI, that's not a major issue because most of them have fairly simple options that take about 10 minutes to expose and test. The ones with major GUI requirements are Equipment and Runes.

As for custom triggers, I finished the code needed to implement them but I've not exposed them to the editor just yet.

If there's a trigger present in 4.x that you think is missing and needs to be implemented, just say. However note that ActionUsable is currently planned to be scrapped.

The Runes GUI is completely different to the one in 4.x, so you don't need to bother with that abysmal "DDUUBB" mess. Instead it's literally point and click for rune selection.

So here's a screenshot of the Shaped runes type, a Runes trigger with this type will activate only if you have the chosen runes available in the exact slots.

In that screenshot you'll see that in slot #1 I'm matching either a Blood or Death rune, in slot #2 I'm matching an inactive death rune, slot #3 is an ignored slot (so any rune regardless of state), and #4-6 are the same as #2, but for other rune types.

The other match type for Runes is Shapeless, which activates whenever you have the specified runes available regardless of slot. There's a special case for death runes with Shapeless in that you can say "this death rune must have replaced a rune of <x> type", but that's optional.

soulyouth 07-28-12 06:31 PM

Not a fan of the new powa.
I loved how simple the old powa was, type the spell name, tick what you want, pick a aura and your done, this is back and forth, back and forth through menus.

Not a fan of this at all, was not broken in it's old form, why u try to fix ?

Meorawr 07-28-12 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulyouth (Post 258927)
Not a fan of the new powa.
I loved how simple the old powa was, type the spell name, tick what you want, pick a aura and your done, this is back and forth, back and forth through menus.

Not a fan of this at all, was not broken in it's old form

Old form had good things and bad things, no arguments there. At the moment you're using the advanced editors and stuff, which are extremely rough around the edges still. Wait a couple more days and you'll get the basic ones which are a lot less clicky than the advanced ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulyouth (Post 258927)
why u try to fix ?

Because the old UI wouldn't support the new features in any sane way.

Seerah 07-28-12 08:32 PM

All of you who are complaining about the new UI setup (which, btw, still isn't finished remember) are *used* to the old way. You can get used to a new way, too. ;)

Personally, I always used to find the old PowerAuras UI too confusing/cumbersome to bother with. Several times over the course of a few years I tried it and always gave up. I started using WeakAuras when it came out because the UI was completely different.

To each his own. ;) Just remember to keep discussion civil and polite on these forums with constructive criticism. :)

soulyouth 07-29-12 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meorawr (Post 258929)
Old form had good things and bad things, no arguments there. At the moment you're using the advanced editors and stuff, which are extremely rough around the edges still. Wait a couple more days and you'll get the basic ones which are a lot less clicky than the advanced ones.



Because the old UI wouldn't support the new features in any sane way.

Cool as long as it has the option to use own spell icon in the aura's and I can "import" (I use that loosely) my old aura's over then I don't mind learning a new UI. (if like you said there is a easier one coming)

Meorawr 07-29-12 07:14 AM

Yeah, importing from an old version will definitely be supported, it's just a matter of getting around to it right now.

Meorawr 07-29-12 01:28 PM

Alpha 2 uploaded. Changelog covers the important bits. Most of the changes covered in the discussions in this thread are still not implemented, simply because time isn't infinite :)

Edit:

Alpha 3 uploaded, I've had to disable the on-screen previews because of the stupid amount of errors/bugs I completely missed with them (for instance, errors when creating displays, deleting them, etc.). They'll be re-enabled soon.

Yet Another Awesome Edit:

Alpha 4 uploaded, re-enabled the previews after fixing the most obvious errors. Please report any others that you find :)

N30 07-31-12 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meorawr (Post 258959)
Alpha 4 uploaded, re-enabled the previews after fixing the most obvious errors. Please report any others that you find :)

Code:

Message: ...rface\AddOns\PowerAuras\Types\Displays\Interface.lua:11: Display class 'Texture' does not exist.
Time: 07/31/12 13:09:57
Count: 1
Stack: [C]: in function `error'
...rface\AddOns\PowerAuras\Types\Displays\Interface.lua:11: in function `GetDisplayClass'
...AddOns\PowerAurasOptions\Widgets\Editor\Displays.lua:337: in function `RefreshNodes'
...AddOns\PowerAurasOptions\Widgets\Editor\Displays.lua:111: in function <...AddOns\PowerAurasOptions\Widgets\Editor\Displays.lua:92>
Interface\AddOns\PowerAurasOptions\Widgets\Basic.lua:31: in function `?'
Interface\AddOns\PowerAuras\Main.lua:66: in function `OnOptionsEvent'
Interface\AddOns\PowerAurasOptions\Variables.lua:232: in function `SetCurrentAura'
...rface\AddOns\PowerAurasOptions\Widgets\Workspace.lua:357: in function <...rface\AddOns\PowerAurasOptions\Widgets\Workspace.lua:351>

Locals: (*temporary) = "Display class 'Texture' does not exist."

seams is still bugged ;)

Meorawr 07-31-12 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N30 (Post 259058)
seams is still bugged ;)

I should really make sure I'm packing the right changeset next time. Fixing it now >.>

I blame Mondays.

yodawhip 07-31-12 08:43 AM

all I'm saying is that the nav gui should flow in one direction in a logical sequence.

again, you can easily accommodate all users by coding the navigation in the simplest form.

the version we all know & love is a very good reference for keeping it simple, and not completely doing a 180 deg turn into who knows what direction.

Meorawr 07-31-12 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodawhip (Post 259065)
all I'm saying is that the nav gui should flow in one direction in a logical sequence.

again, you can easily accommodate all users by coding the navigation in the simplest form.

the version we all know & love is a very good reference for keeping it simple, and not completely doing a 180 deg turn into who knows what direction.

I'm curious as to what the problematic difference between the two is though.

Live:
  • You select aura from the browser window.
  • You navigate to the type of thing you want to edit. If you want to change the timer/stacks counter, you still need to enter a tab for it.
  • You use controls in a bloody massive editor window that you've gotten used to over the past <time of usage>.

Now:
  • You select aura from browser window.
  • You pick the display you want to control. We can't remove this step, because timers/stacks are 'first class' now.
  • You pick the type of thing you want to change.
  • You edit it.

I see, at most, two more steps. That's not a whole lot. Descriptive feedback would kinda help pinpoint the issue here, at the moment the main thing is there's too many levels of depth to navigate though for the advanced editors, and one other possible issue is having to go up/down a level to change sections (such as from style to activation).

Apologies if I'm being a bit rough in terms of given feedback here, but at the moment it's somewhat like trying to find my way through a maze while blindfolded, and the directions I'm being given are "don't walk into a wall".

I'll try and work on something tonight and post a couple of screenshots later on (if I get it all hooked up). Feedback would be appreciated :)

N30 07-31-12 10:37 AM

btw .... i still have no clue how copy aure in the new version XD

KysenMurrin 07-31-12 12:34 PM

I was playing around in the Animations section, not really knowing what I was doing, and managed to completely break the addon. In Animations -> Repeat -> Channel 1 -> Action, I had added a sequence then removed it, and I then accidentally selected "Delete Action". Deleting the only action immediately provoked an "Action ID -1 does not resolve to a valid action" error, and the addon became totally unusable until I deleted my saved variables (I could open the Auras/Layouts window but do nothing beyond that without returning that error).

Obviously it's early beta, and protecting from user idiocy comes after getting the basics working right, but it seemed like the kind of thing that could slip under the radar if no one else is stupid enough to delete the only Action, heh.

*

As to the new interface, I like the direction it's going, but it does have a bit too much moving up and down through sections. Having to go back to the top level menu to then enter another submenu, rather than having a tabbed interface or an always-visible sidebar menu where you can access any part with one click, does make a big difference in how using this feels (it's the most annoying thing about the Dungeon Journal, too). Personally I'd favour a sidebar menu, if that was possible.

Meorawr 07-31-12 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KysenMurrin (Post 259070)
I was playing around in the Animations section, not really knowing what I was doing, and managed to completely break the addon. In Animations -> Repeat -> Channel 1 -> Action, I had added a sequence then removed it, and I then accidentally selected "Delete Action". Deleting the only action immediately provoked an "Action ID -1 does not resolve to a valid action" error, and the addon became totally unusable until I deleted my saved variables (I could open the Auras/Layouts window but do nothing beyond that without returning that error).

I'll take a look at this soon-ish, thanks for the report. Also, there's going to be prompts before deleting stuff in a future release, I just glossed over them for now :)

Ideally the "x ID does not resolve to a valid y" errors should never pop up, but some do slip through the net still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KysenMurrin (Post 259070)
As to the new interface, I like the direction it's going, but it does have a bit too much moving up and down through sections. Having to go back to the top level menu to then enter another submenu, rather than having a tabbed interface or an always-visible sidebar menu where you can access any part with one click, does make a big difference in how using this feels (it's the most annoying thing about the Dungeon Journal, too). Personally I'd favour a collapsible sidebar menu, if that was possible.

I'm going to try a sidebar approach with tools for navigation. Assuming you're using Windows (Vista/7 will do), imagine it being like the Control Panel with the sidebar having some quick links to other sections within the same resource.

Will be able to preview it tomorrow, but I can't work on it while I'm at work for obvious reasons so it'll be sometime in the evening :)

Tactic 07-31-12 05:13 PM

Can someone walk me through how to make a aura for "maelstrom weapon" stacks? I tried for 45min and COULD NOT figure it out. Sorry, I am a noob.

N30 08-01-12 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactic (Post 259083)
Can someone walk me through how to make a aura for "maelstrom weapon" stacks? I tried for 45min and COULD NOT figure it out. Sorry, I am a noob.

seams stacks are NYI looking for it too

KysenMurrin 08-01-12 10:41 AM

Stacks weren't displaying for me in the first few releases but they're working fine now. They work the same as Timers, which are explained at the start of the thread. Add a display and choose Stacks as the type (first screen you see after selecting the aura, + button in the corner), set the activation to Dependency and select your main display, then set Source to the buff/debuff name.

I'm not a fan of stack and timer displays all being separated out from the main aura display like this, but setting it up is fairly intuitive once you have the idea.

The one bit that feels less intuitive is having to set the Source for the timer/stacks independantly, with it not having any link to the buff/debuff you already used as an activation in the main display. I realise that Activations and Sources won't always be the same things, and the current form of the addon will be good for making auras with more complex and specific conditions, but it seems like there should be an easy way to make a basic aura that just shows icon/timer/stacks all pulled from one spell source.

Meorawr 08-01-12 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KysenMurrin (Post 259118)
Stacks weren't displaying for me in the first few releases but they're working fine now. They work the same as Timers, which are explained at the start of the thread. Add a display and choose Stacks as the type (first screen you see after selecting the aura, + button in the corner), set the activation to Dependency and select your main display, then set Source to the buff/debuff name.

This. Sorry for not responding sooner, today was weird :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KysenMurrin (Post 259118)
I'm not a fan of stack and timer displays all being separated out from the main aura display like this, but setting it up is fairly intuitive once you have the idea.

The one bit that feels less intuitive is having to set the Source for the timer/stacks independantly, with it not having any link to the buff/debuff you already used as an activation in the main display. I realise that Activations and Sources won't always be the same things, and the current form of the addon will be good for making auras with more complex and specific conditions, but it seems like there should be an easy way to make a basic aura that just shows icon/timer/stacks all pulled from one spell source.

I covered this a few post back, basically I'm going to add in a simple one-click way of creating a timer/stacks display that automatically inherits activation properties and handles the source in a similar way. The current way of setting up sources and whatnot will remain, but for simplicity's sake a one-click option will be added :)

This also applies to other things like ability icon textures, when I get around to it.

Meorawr 08-01-12 04:38 PM

Alright here's that UI update I promised. Technically there's still 40 minutes to go before I'd miss the promised 'tomorrow', so for once I'm on time.



So first off, I did a slight bit of reskinning. You might be wondering why, but the main reason is the old transparent frame looked like complete garbage with the 'minor' layout changes.

I moved the sidebar from the right to the left, and rearranged/repurposed it in places. It's now mostly used for navigational purposes and listing tasks at the bottom of the frame. The text is right-aligned because the other alignments looked bad. Icons being left aligned however is intentional.

The display grid remains in place, because it's much easier to associate what a display is/what it activates by simply by looking at it and saying "I see that when I have 9000 holy power".



Entering the display editor, you'll see the preview remains intact (and is a bit more consistent in where it shows up overall now).

You'll note a couple of odd changes, namely the navigation list including "Timer", "Stacks" and "Timer Bar". As I've pointed out in a few posts, I'm going to ensure there's an easy way of linking a timer/whatever to an existing display and just having it work.

The functionality is currently not in place, but you'll be limited to a single timer/stacks/whatever (I need a uniform name for these) per display, similar to 4.x. It's also likely that these display won't show up in the display grid, but I'm not sure on that yet. Either way, to switch between the displays you'll just click the items on the left.

You'll also note I've included export/copy once or twice now, they're still NYI but I'll see if I can get them working for the next release.

The main window on the right still remains relatively unchanged, this is probably temporary, but major changes to it are low on the priority list. I'm going to prune the visible options where possible too.



Entering a category, you'll see the navigation bar change again to give you quick access to other categories on the immediate level. Currently this is set up so that it'll default to the level below the current display regardless of how deep you are.

If that made no sense, then what I meant is you'll see "Style", "Activation", etc. regardless of how deep you are (say, in an animation channel). This could change over time. This should fix most of the issues with the editor requiring too much navigation, since you can just click a category to go to it without needing to travel upwards.

The tasks list in that screenshot is bugged and should be empty, but it's an early preview. What do you expect?

As for other missing things, the help plates ("i" buttons) are being relocated. Most of the categories are not shown right now because I need to ensure general stability before re-enabling them all.

Feedback welcome as always :)

Gethe 08-01-12 05:54 PM

I didn't have time to test out your addon before you made this UI change, so this might be a bit to late, but I wanted to mention it anyway. I had thought you could use drop down menus on the breadcrumbs, like what Blizz does in the Dungeon Journal, to allow easy backwards navigation.

Also, as someone who moved over to WeakAuras after finding (ironically) that PowerAuras didn't have the power I wanted, this new version has me very impressed so far. Those controls look fantastic by the way.

Meorawr 08-01-12 05:56 PM

Yeah, we do have dropdown menus in the breadcrumbs but they only pop up if the bar overflows. That might not be needed once I do a polish pass on the depth of certain parts.

Either way, I suppose I could also expose them via right-click.

Tentatively aiming for the next alpha release next Monday/Tuesday, don't know what'll be in it though.

3arpbl3y 08-02-12 04:40 AM

can you just update existing version of PA to MOP?
---
You made a lot of work, but in existing version I can make/edit auras faster then in your. I have about 90 (yes, 90!) auras in PA and dont want to make them again. This step by step system you use dont allow ppl to edit auras fast, just waste of time. no offense.

N30 08-02-12 05:29 AM

quick question is possible with the actual alpha releas do an activation like?

(FS FS<=2sec remaining) OR (FS<=7sec remaining AND LS charge>=5)

Silvertaurus 08-02-12 05:58 AM

I want Aura with timer, showing cooldown of my spell.
With live version I have dots icon as texture with timer of duration, and similarly spells with their cooldowns.
Here after some time i did DoTs by pulling out textures and timers through sources (buffs/debuffs) but there is no option for my spells.


Does "my spells" are not yet avaible in sources, or I missed other way to do it ?

/cheers :D

Fasti 08-02-12 06:56 AM

Bug GCD
 
GCD-option works with my dk, but not on my windwalker monk. Every ability cooldown powas are flashing off while I'm on GCD.

5.0 beta version ofc.

Meorawr 08-02-12 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3arpbl3y (Post 259157)
but in existing version I can make/edit auras faster then in your.

Because you're used to the current system, and you don't have any of the changes mentioned in the above post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3arpbl3y (Post 259157)
I have about 90 (yes, 90!) auras in PA and dont want to make them again..

4.x -> 5.0 conversion will be fully automated, it just isn't in yet. You clearly missed the red text that explained this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by N30 (Post 259158)
quick question is possible with the actual alpha releas do an activation like?

(FS FS<=2sec remaining) OR (FS<=7sec remaining AND LS charge>=5)

With the current release one? Not entirely (the LS charge bit is the one thing missing).

With the intended functionality of the final release? Yes.

With the next release? Probably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvertaurus (Post 259159)
Does "my spells" are not yet avaible in sources, or I missed other way to do it ?
/cheers :D

90% of the sources are still NYI, once the triggers are done I'll move onto those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fasti (Post 259160)
GCD-option works with my dk, but not on my windwalker monk. Every ability cooldown powas are flashing off while I'm on GCD.

5.0 beta version ofc.

I haven't set up GCD detection for monks yet. A couple of logical issues to get around, namely the fact that Monk's Jab skill is the best one to use for this, but Jab changes based upon your equipped weapon.

Melvex 08-03-12 04:09 PM

Hello, sorry for my bad English, but can you help me to make aura for moonkin eclipse energy like it on live servers.
Here it is:
lunar eclipse - http://s002.youpic.su/pictures/13440...3f984cf8b8.png

Version:4.23; g:0.8588; thresholdinvert:true; icon:ability_druid_eclipse; r:0.6667; x:-60; bufftype:10; texture:0; PowerType:108; threshold:0; textaura:true; size:0.35; y:100; texmode:1; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.LegacySizing:false; stacks.Relative:RIGHT; stacks.UpdatePing:true; stacks.h:2.51

solar eclipse - http://s002.youpic.su/pictures/13440...a11beef1dc.png

Version:4.23; b:0.2196; g:0.8392; thresholdinvert:true; icon:ability_druid_eclipseorange; x:60; bufftype:10; texture:45; PowerType:208; threshold:0; textaura:true; size:0.35; y:100; texmode:1; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.LegacySizing:false; stacks.y:98; stacks.Relative:LEFT; stacks.UpdatePing:true; stacks.h:2.51

Ty

Meorawr 08-05-12 08:28 AM

There was a post about triggers for talents, but it seems to have vanished.

Answer to it is yes, the list I made was just off the top of my head :)

N30 08-07-12 04:22 AM

any news on next releas date and what it will contain?

Meorawr 08-07-12 06:32 AM

Probably Friday. I typically don't know what days I'm working until a day in advance, and I've been going in a lot these past two or so weeks. In addition, our ISP has had some service issues the past couple of days so that's slowing me down a slight bit.

As for what it'll contain: Stuff. I'll probably put up a list when I'm reasonably sure.

Ollem 08-07-12 10:14 AM

Hey guys

I'm trying to get my actiovation working, butit doesn't.

I want to see, when my target has 20% of life or less.

I went from Displays to #1: Texture, made some selections in styles but then in Actiovation, if got Current Trigger: Unit Health, [UL] Unit: target, [UL] Health 20%, [UL] Operator: <=, Support Triggers: disabled

No idea why it's not working ^^

Cheers

Edit says, I have to change the profile, I'll test this soon ;)
Edit 2 says, it didn't help -.-

Meorawr 08-07-12 11:57 AM

Update on the next update (before my internet dies for another 6 hours).

Took in the UI feedback and made some 'minor' changes across the board, especially regarding editor depth and the lot.

Starting with the browser:


The tabs were scrapped 'cause I needed to add a way to access addon options, and a possible help panel without expanding the width of the frame. The window style matches that of the editor now, and uses a list-style inlay widget for accessing each section.

The Auras section is opened by default, and up to one section can be opened at a time:



I think this approach works pretty well in general, as it still provides a clear way of saying "this section is for this" without cluttering the browser up unnecessarily.

Moving onwards to the editor...


Not too much has changed in this specific area since the last preview, except the Delete Aura tool was moved here. I'll also note that all 'delete' tools now have confirmation prompts, however you can bypass these by holding Ctrl and clicking the delete button.

We'll move onto the recent change I've made in regards to actions/trigger editing:


The sequence panel has been embedded into the actual window, so you won't lose it by scrolling now (this also fixes other bugs too). As this is the activation editor, all that's in there is the operators editbox.

Triggers are no longer separate nodes within the editor, if I click the "New Trigger" button...


The new system is basically similar to the list used in the browser. You'll see 3 triggers per page and can edit them one at a time without needing to navigate via the breadcrumbs. To delete a trigger, you just click the delete button on the trigger 'item' itself, and to change the type the button next to it will open a dropdown (as seen in the image).



The eagle-eyed among you will have probably spotted the missing "Positioning" option in the left sidebar. I've merged it back into the Styles category and made use of the list system again to keep it clean.



As I've mentioned before, none of this is final and is subject to change. Unless my ISP suddenly stops tripping over power cords, you may not get a lot of responses/updates for a little while too.

Meorawr 08-07-12 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollem (Post 259326)
I went from Displays to #1: Texture, made some selections in styles but then in Actiovation, if got Current Trigger: Unit Health, [UL] Unit: target, [UL] Health 20%, [UL] Operator: <=, Support Triggers: disabled

When you say support triggers "disabled", do you mean there are no triggers (as in, you deleted the Player State one) or you've just not selected any?

I'll also add that there's still a bug where those triggers will still be considered 'active' even if you have no target (as it'll say "there's no unit, so therefore it has 0 health").

It works fine for me here, so I'm just wondering.

Edit: Heard back from my ISP, apparently it's a known issue that'll take three days to fix >.>


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.

vBulletin © 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd
© 2004 - 2019 MMOUI