WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   News (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Reminders before 4.2 goes live (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40582)

Cairenn 06-23-11 11:45 PM

Reminders before 4.2 goes live

Just a few notes for everyone since all the signs are pointing to 4.2 going live next week (barring any major bugs showing up that delays its release):
  • We've reset our Survival Guide, so we can flag them compliant again as they get updated. If you see any of them that have been updated that we haven't marked as such already, please feel free to email us at [email protected] with the link to where it has been updated.
  • As well, you can always see the most recent uploads and updates on WoWInterface here.
And a couple notes specifically for authors:
  • Remember that COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED has changed. Details are in this thread.
  • We have reset the 'works with' flag on the site, so if/when your addon is 4.2 compatible, you can go ahead and tag it as such.

Nibelheim 06-24-11 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 239868)
Remember that COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTER has changed. Details are in this thread.

Angry Users: There must be another way of doing code changes!
Addon Author: That's right! Every time they make a WoW patch, they burn our addons down!

Gautr 06-24-11 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nibelheim (Post 239869)
Addon Author: That's right! Every time they make a WoW patch, they burn our addons down!

That is what makes it fun right?

Seerah 06-24-11 12:57 PM

Hey, as long as changes are for the better and/or make sense (which I've never come across an API change that did not meet those criteria - not that I can remember, anyway), I don't care. :)

Vlad 06-24-11 01:00 PM

Having a "find in files" text editor one could search for "COMBAT_LOG_EVENT" (case sensitive) and find all the addons that use these events, hence know what to update and what won't be affected by the combat log change. :)

Tekkub 06-24-11 07:03 PM

lawlfourpointone

qod 06-25-11 10:21 AM

string.replace is gone

COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED is not the only change that will affect addons when 4.2 goes live. I author an addon that used string.replace to remove unneeded spaces from a string, only to find that Blizzard decided to remove string.replace for some strange reason.

Cairenn 06-25-11 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekkub (Post 239905)

lawlfourpointone

It's fixededed now. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by qod (Post 239927)
COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED is not the only change that will affect addons when 4.2 goes live. I author an addon that used string.replace to remove unneeded spaces from a string, only to find that Blizzard decided to remove string.replace for some strange reason.

Nod, I know CLEU isn't the only change, it's just a major one that will impact a large number of addons.

Vlad 06-26-11 12:35 PM

Hmm, does this mean that since string.replace is gone then using ("text"):replace(...) or strreplace(...) also not work? :S

Ketho 06-26-11 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladinator (Post 239994)
Hmm, does this mean that since string.replace is gone then using ("text"):replace(...) or strreplace(...) also not work? :S

I just checked myself, and strreplace() / ("text"):replace() also got removed :(

About the FrameXML, here are the strreplace diffs..

Saiket 06-26-11 03:33 PM

string.replace had some issues.

Tekkub 06-26-11 03:56 PM

I had no idea that even existed, I've always used gsub.

Ketho 06-26-11 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qod (Post 239927)

offtopic, but why didn't you just use strtrim / string.trim if you just wanted to remove "unneeded spaces"?

Nibelheim 06-26-11 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketho (Post 240010)
offtopic, but why didn't you just use strtrim / string.trim if you just wanted to remove "unneeded spaces"?

Trim only removes trailing and leading spaces. Replace was useful for converting "Buff Bar 1" to "BuffBar1".

Vlad 06-27-11 12:24 AM

Simply converting all string.replace/strreplace/:replace into "gsub" won't do as you got to escape certain characters. Yet it appears that Blizzard just did a mass "find and replace" on the few lines I read but maybe not, in any case addon authors gotta watch this and get familiar with how gsub and patterns work with lua for 4.2 I figure.

Strange isn't it, removing string.replace? I wonder why...

arith 06-27-11 08:12 AM

So is it confirmed the 4.2 will be on live server on June 28th?

Verttex 06-27-11 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arith (Post 240035)
So is it confirmed the 4.2 will be on live server on June 28th?

It has not been confirmed by Blizzard but we expect it to arrive then.

qod 06-27-11 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketho (Post 240010)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nibelheim (Post 240011)
Trim only removes trailing and leading spaces. Replace was useful for converting "Buff Bar 1" to "BuffBar1".

It was to only remove spaces in certain situations. Just the spaces before and after a dash, as in "Playername - Server Name" to "Playername-Server Name" because "Playername-ServerName" wouldn't work for me. I was using strreplace(stringname, " - ", "-") and now use string.gsub(stringname, "%s%-%s", "-") and get the same results.

I never came across the bug because my strings were never very long, as they were just a list of tanks that are currently in my party.

Xrystal 06-27-11 12:54 PM

Hmm, darn windows search isn't finding a single COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED in the addons folder. That simply cannot be right. I knew there was a reason I stopped using that search system.

Edit:
Ah, programmers notepad to the rescue, haha. But thankfully the only ones of my own addons that use it are about 4 years old and I'm sure they're no longer used by now unless they have miraculously been working all these years with no problems.

Seerah 06-27-11 02:10 PM

There's a specific thing you need to do to make it search in Lua and XML files. Unfortunately, I forgot it as soon as I did it. :)