WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Help/Support (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Discord Server (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54784)

dragonflyy 11-03-16 02:14 PM

Discord Server

Are there any discord servers for AddOn authors (discord the chat program, not discord the addon :P)

I think it would be a nice resource if enough of us used it, if there isn't one and others feel it would be a useful resource, I could create the server. Let me know your thoughts.

Dolby 11-03-16 02:59 PM

Not at the moment, most of the AddOn authors are happy with IRC and there is a large number on freenode in the #wowuidev channel. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2651

If there is enough interest in a discord channel we could certainly spin one up. Would hate to fragment things though.

dragonflyy 11-04-16 11:27 AM

Bleh, hate IRC. Personal opinion of course, and I will get IRC to be able to chat, just never knew there was one and was willing to start up a discord. :)

Seerah 11-04-16 11:59 AM

Perhaps your distaste with IRC is just with the client you've used? Just a thought. :)

Gnarfoz 11-29-16 08:53 AM

There's probably similar distaste for using Discord among the people who prefer using IRC. :D

zork 11-29-16 08:56 AM

Would like Discord aswell. Reason: Not using IRC. >_<

MunkDev 11-29-16 10:14 AM

Code markdown is handy for a community of coders.

p3lim 11-29-16 11:54 AM

Both have their purpose and place, for communities that need to engage in verbal communications with textual chat as an addition, Discord is great, but in our case, where everything is communicated via text, IRC is superior.

Gethe 12-01-16 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 320637)
If there is enough interest in a discord channel we could certainly spin one up. Would hate to fragment things though.

With regard to fragmentation, a bot could be set up to mirror irc to Discord and reverse. This is how the monk community (and a few others) handled it when transitioning from irc to Discord.

SDPhantom 12-01-16 03:58 PM

Either way, I would much prefer Dolby, Cairenn, or maybe one of the SMods like Seerah to set up the server. Nothing against the OP personally, but I wouldn't want a random user holding admin privileges to any server run for the site. Security issues, etc.

p3lim 12-01-16 08:41 PM

A bridge could work, allows people to choose whatever they want.
Something like this one: https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDPhantom (Post 321137)
Either way, I would much prefer Dolby, Cairenn, or maybe one of the SMods like Seerah to set up the server. Nothing against the OP personally, but I wouldn't want a random user holding admin privileges to any server run for the site. Security issues, etc.

This.

Resike 12-09-17 08:39 AM

Any news on this?

Gnarfoz 12-09-17 01:17 PM

Stanzilla couldn't resist and created a server a while ago.
Last message was in August, and it was someone pointing out that #wowuidev on irc.freenode.net has way more users.
So... expect loneliness. :P

MunkDev 12-09-17 04:03 PM

I'm just using HexChat to get on IRC occasionally, but one of the things I hate about it is the lack of chat history and no code markdown support. For legacy reasons, I suppose the IRC channel makes a lot of sense, but Discord has a ton of beneficial features.

Gnarfoz 12-09-17 06:14 PM

For continuity you could check out The Lounge, Quassel, WeeChat or one of the various bouncers,
for example ZNC.
There are also public logs: http://infobot.rikers.org/%23wowuidev/

There's plenty of pastebin sites around, of course.

Which beneficial features beyond scrollback and rudimentary text formatting were you thinking of?

Voice chat? Emojis? Being hosted by a startup with unknown investors? :P

MunkDev 12-10-17 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnarfoz (Post 326103)
Which beneficial features beyond scrollback and rudimentary text formatting were you thinking of?

Just emojis.

semlar 12-13-17 06:19 AM

Discord has a more robust chat system, is far more accessible to new users than IRC, and has a client that was actually designed in this century.

The only thing keeping the IRC chat going right now is momentum.

It already has a community of people using it that like it for what it is, and they'll continue using it unless sufficiently motivated to change platforms, regardless of how objectively superior the alternatives may be.

I don't know about anyone else, but I sure as hell couldn't be bothered to find and install an IRC client in 2017 to join one channel to ask a question, but I suppose maybe the barrier to entry is part of the appeal for current members since it keeps less motivated and tech-savvy individuals out.

There's also quite literally nothing stopping anyone from being in both chats if wowinterface wanted to set up an official Discord server and put a link to it somewhere.

p3lim 12-13-17 06:56 AM

I would be all for an official Discord server, but I agree with semlar, I doubt people already on IRC would consider moving.
A bot could be set up to forward things back and forth (quite easily actually).

MunkDev 12-13-17 06:59 AM

I like Discord because of how similar it is to Slack, and has been very beneficial when discussing code on joint projects with other game developers, instead of generating a bunch of pastebin links. The search feature is also a very nice part of the system.

What I find problematic about IRC is mainly how inconvenient it is to use and that you have to be online at all times. Just the other day, I sent Dan some code on IRC pertaining to an in-game bug, but had no idea he even replied because I had to turn my computer off. I just realized he did because of your chat log link, Gnarfoz, but you can't suggest having a public log in basic HTML is the same as having client-native chat history.

An anecdote to contradict my love for Discord though, is that I agree with semlar's sentiment on barrier to entry. I run a Discord network for my largest addon project, and most people just whiz by the FAQ, instructions, help pages and everything else I've invested my time in because they prefer instant, personal support. Often in the wrong channel, too.

Ammako 12-13-17 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MunkDev (Post 326120)
An anecdote to contradict my love for Discord though, is that I agree with semlar's sentiment on barrier to entry. I run a Discord network for my largest addon project, and most people just whiz by the FAQ, instructions, help pages and everything else I've invested my time in because they prefer instant, personal support. Often in the wrong channel, too.

To this kind of people, I just link xkcd #293 tbh.