WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   MoP Beta archived threads (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Power Auras Classic 5.0 (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43736)

Ollem 08-07-12 03:03 PM

I had in the trigger nothing, I don't know what it's exactly in english, cause it's translatet into german ;) but I changed it and the aura didn't work.

I'll try it tomorrow again. Hopefully I'll find the mistake ;)

Meorawr 08-08-12 03:22 AM

I'll try and take a look tonight, if my connection works then (but it hasn't connected at all for about ~14 hours so far).

When you say it doesn't work, is it always showing or never showing? If it's always showing (even when you don't have a target) then it's a known bug that'll be fixed in the next release.

If you want, you can do a /powa export ingame and it'll export your entire profile. Paste it here and it might help a bit :)

Freebaser 08-09-12 02:38 AM

With the 5.0 version, I'm not sure the Power Auras "Classic" name is justifiable.

I'll see myself out...

Meorawr 08-09-12 07:44 AM

Right, going to make this clear again because I'm sick of people ignoring it:

This is an alpha-quality release.
The UI is in an alpha-quality state.

Feedback is incredibly useful, so long as it's constructive and helpful. In the vast majority of cases, it has been incredibly useful. However there's still the lingering issue of people complaining about <x> and throwing their toys out of the pram because they expected a release-quality system.

I'll just quickly explain how our development process has worked in regards to the UI:
  • We started off with hardcoded profiles and saved variables. They weren't even stored in the saved variables tables, they were just hardcoded into the addon. Every change we made had to be reflected in these because otherwise we'd get errors.
  • Next, we moved that stuff into the saved variables system we have now. This didn't change much, because we still had to manually edit them every time we changed something
  • Then we worked on the UI intended to be used by developers. This made it a lot easier, but the intention wasn't for it to be pretty/super user friendly, because it's a temporary UI.
  • Now (as in, this second) is where I'm at now. You're all still on the previous step. This one is basically the 'end-user' UI, which is obviously designed to be less of a pain than the development one.

You might be wondering what the point of using the development UI is. In a nutshell, the alpha was put out for two reasons:
  • Because people asked for it.
  • Because we needed the systems to be tested. The UI was a low priority, but feedback on it has been useful to see what could be kept/scrapped between the two.

Now I've gotten that off my chest, here's the tentative plans for the next couple of releases (hopefully one on Saturday, but no promises):
  • Reworking the UI of the Sources system: The plan is to add a "Sources" subcategory to the "Style" section. The Sources subcategory will contain options such as using a buff/debuff icon as a texture, and an option for copying information from the activation triggers. Optionally, you'll still be able to manually configure the sources of a display.
  • Timers/Stacks/etc: The ability to 'link' these to existing displays (in a 4.x way) is another high priority. I might work on this right now, but the idea is you'll be able to just click a button and it'll handle the 'advanced' stuff like activation/sources automatically, and will only provide editing options for animations, style and display actions.
  • Trigger/Source Types: I'll finish off the remaining triggers soon (the last ones are fairly basic). Sources will be expanded upon greatly soon.
  • Animations: The animations UI will be overhauled later on, and will include a 'basic' (4.x) style one for creating looped animations. The advanced triggered animations system will remain in place, of course. The basic editor will mirror the current Sounds editor.
  • Custom Triggers: Self-explanatory, you'll be able to create your own trigger types. They'll be considered 'first-class' types, and won't have many limitations. You'll gain access to our full event handling/logging systems, and will eventually be able to add configurable parameters and a GUI for controlling them on a per-use case. Exporting custom triggers will also be supported at some point.
  • Standalone Actions: I've not covered these in depth because they're advanced, and don't have a lot of uses right now. I'll expand these significantly in the future.
  • Tutorials: Last thing to be done, for obvious reasons.

TL;DR Feedback is useful, whining is not. Pretending this is final is a bad idea.

Freebaser 08-09-12 08:58 AM

I didn't mean it in a negative way... but failed to really have a constructive point, I admit. It was in regard to the *nice* overhaul being done and the word classic being used. What's classic about it? Power Auras Awesome 5.0 seems more relevent. I don't care what the name is nor was I intending to provide feedback of the addon's progress.

Meorawr 08-09-12 08:59 AM

It wasn't aimed at you, it was just something I wanted to address in general. Apologies if it came across that way :)

Meorawr 08-10-12 04:06 PM

Right, basically nailed the Sources system now.

Here's how it works, with pretty pictures:

1) Create the display (we'll do a Timer).

2) Configure it to track what you want. I'll make it track the Legacy of the White Tiger buff.

3) No messing around with sources, because it defaults to automatic configuration mode.

4) It works.

For something a bit more advanced (using a buff icon for the texture):

1) Create the texture display.

2) Again, configure it. This time I'll make it show my whirly kick of wet paper bags.

3) It's in automatic mode, so I just need to check "Use Buff/Debuff for Icon".

4) Close editor, spin around, done.

The configuration modes are:
  • Manual: Same system as you guys have now, whereby everything is configured manually.
  • Automatic: This will use the first 'suitable' trigger from the Activate action. If it can't find one, it will reset and go to Manual mode.
  • Trigger: This is similar to Automatic, except you can specify what trigger is used. Only triggers from the Activate action can be used, however. If you select an invalid one, it will not reset, but you will get a warning message.

Hopefully that'll resolve any concerns about how painful it'd be to set things up. Next on the list is either going to be more triggers/source types, or adding timers/whatever to existing displays.

Meorawr 08-12-12 03:57 PM

Putting up an alpha now, one thing to note is that any existing UnitAura triggers will need reconfiguring (you'll need to delete their entire displays to do so). I made changes to how UnitAura works to add in all the missing options, including tooltip matching and multiple unit scanning. Plan is to extend this to all the other triggers too, over the next couple of days.

Sources might be a little buggy, in particular auto-configuring might be off. Report any issues with those please.

But hey, alpha is alpha. dealwithit.jpg

N30 08-13-12 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meorawr (Post 259510)
Putting up an alpha now, one thing to note is that any existing UnitAura triggers will need reconfiguring (you'll need to delete their entire displays to do so). I made changes to how UnitAura works to add in all the missing options, including tooltip matching and multiple unit scanning. Plan is to extend this to all the other triggers too, over the next couple of days.

Sources might be a little buggy, in particular auto-configuring might be off. Report any issues with those please.

But hey, alpha is alpha. dealwithit.jpg

old auras cant be deleted i click delete dispaly but nothing hapend

Meorawr 08-13-12 06:01 AM

Can you try deleting the entire aura? If not, can you do a "/powa debug" and check the log for anything that looks like an error (missing localisation strings/load time messages don't count - everything else does). There's a "copy" button on each row which you can click for a full output string to paste into a post here.

I might just put out another release tonight which will forcibly nuke existing saved variables. I can just hide under the word 'alpha' and get away with it, right? :)

Silvertaurus 08-13-12 10:21 AM

Hey just trying out last build (Alpha 6) and cant realy make it to work.
Here is my story :D

Wanted to cofigure 'Shadow Word: Pain' to activate texture when its on target.

Current Trigger : unit Buff/Debuff
Type : Debuff
Unit : target
Matches
Match : Shadow Word: Pain
checked only 'Ignore Case' and 'Is Mine'.
Stacks on default (operator >=, Count 0, Source 'Stack Count')

Above didnt work.

When in Matches, checked the Match Tooltip, cleared 'Match' field and write "shadow" in 'Match Tooltip'
it kinda started to react..
It activated any time the hostile mob buffed himself (as I was playing around on Pandaria continent not on dummies)
In no point there was word 'shadow' in tooltip of it, still texture showed up on buff and deactivated when buff did fade.

After using /powa debug there was error listed like 3 times:
[GetScreenEdgeDistance] Invalid edges, defaulting to 0.

Pressing Copy button next to it is causing WoW to crash x___X
Quote:

ERROR #0 Assertion failure!
Expr: ((m_cursorPos >= m_visiblePos)&&(m_cursorPos<=(m_visiblePos+m_visibleLen)))
Beside after first use of /powa debug i get lots of :

Power Aura Classic: No iterator found: GetAllAnimations
Power Aura Classic: No iterator found: GetAllTriggers

and some others in chat.

[Edit] Out of curiosity I asked Aura to pick texture from source debuff. Its still activated by target buff, but the icon is taken from its first debuff =)

Meorawr 08-13-12 10:37 AM

I'll take a look when I get home tonight, when you get in next can you click the Matches editbox on the display you created, copy the text and paste it here? Want to make sure that the encoding isn't screwy.

As for the WoW crash, that's an interesting one. I'll take a look. The 'No Iterator Found' messages are fine, as is the 'GetScreenEdgeDistance' one.

Silvertaurus 08-13-12 11:02 AM

Match for 'Shadow Word: Pain' :
e3tbIkVmZmVjdCJdPSJTaGFkb3cgV29yZDogUGFpbiJ9LFswXT17WyJVc2VUb29sdGlwIl09ZmFsc2UsWyJQYXR0ZXJuIl09ZmFsc2UsWyJFZmZlY3QiXT0iPEJ1ZmYvRGVidWZmIE5hbWU-IixbIlN0ZWFsYWJsZSJdPWZhbHNlLFsiVG9vbHRpcCJdPSIiLFsiQ2FzdEJ5Il09InBsYXllciIsWyJFeGFjdCJdPWZhbHNlLFsiQ291bnQiXT0wLFsiSWdub3JlQ2FzZSJdPXRydWUsWyJDb3VudFNvdXJjZSJdPTAsWyJPcGVyYXRvciJdPSI-PSJ9fQ==

Match Tooltip for 'shadow' (with empty 'Match' field):
e3tbIlVzZVRvb2x0aXAiXT10cnVlLFsiRWZmZWN0Il09IiIsWyJUb29sdGlwIl09InNoYWRvdyJ9LFswXT17WyJVc2VUb29sdGlwIl09ZmFsc2UsWyJQYXR0ZXJuIl09ZmFsc2UsWyJFZmZlY3QiXT0iPEJ1ZmYvRGVidWZmIE5hbWU-IixbIlN0ZWFsYWJsZSJdPWZhbHNlLFsiVG9vbHRpcCJdPSIiLFsiQ2FzdEJ5Il09InBsYXllciIsWyJFeGFjdCJdPWZhbHNlLFsiQ291bnQiXT0wLFsiSWdub3JlQ2FzZSJdPXRydWUsWyJDb3VudFNvdXJjZSJdPTAsWyJPcGVyYXRvciJdPSI-PSJ9fQ==

Meorawr 08-13-12 12:17 PM

The first string in your post seems to be that of the default UnitAura trigger (it doesn't match Shadow Word: Pain). Either way, I figured out the problem, was a stupid error on my part. I'll put out another release in a couple of hours, sorry for the inconvenience :)

Edit: Uploading now. Also fixes upgrade issues from pre-alpha 6 versions, so deleting UnitAura stuff won't be needed.

Silvertaurus 08-13-12 03:19 PM

Works well now ^_^ Thanks!

Another little glitch.
I set Aura to show when Mind Blast is off cooldown (using 'Spell Off Cooldown' trigger).
Works well enough, but if I set in 'Texture Option/Sources':
Service : Texture
Type : [UL] Name

I get either :
- Shadow Form icon (this black head) IF i have Shadow Form on me, or
- WoW logo IF im out of Shadow Form

Meorawr 08-13-12 03:20 PM

Sources for anything that isn't UnitAura are still very broken/not implemented. I'll probably pull those off for the next release.

thymon 08-14-12 04:42 AM

Is it possible to show 'stacks' of rechargable cooldowns in diffrent aura's? just like it's possible with buffs and debuffs.

i know Roll (monk) and Hand of Gul'dan (warlock) use this system and i would love to be able to show how much charges i have left.

Meorawr 08-14-12 05:06 AM

I may be wrong, but last time I checked (for Warrior's double-charge talent at least) these effects put a buff on the player. You could set up some trigger combination for it - if you have the buff, you've got one charge left. If the spell is on cooldown and you have no buff, you've got no charges left, and if the spell is off cooldown and you don't have the buff then you've got two charges.

I'll play around tonight and see what I can do, maybe implement it as a Charges source/trigger combo. Thanks for the idea :)

thymon 08-14-12 05:34 AM

I don't know about warrior's but i don't get a buff from Hand of Gul'dan, nor roll.
I would love you (no homo) if you can add it :D

Meorawr 08-14-12 05:42 AM

Worst case scenario, I'll just scan the combat log for usages of these abilities and then check if a cooldown is present. Might be easier to just do that initially.

If there's any abilities that behave like this that I'm missing, please correct me:
  • Roll (Monk, that-talent-that-I-have-but-don't-remember-the-name-of)
  • Hand of Gul'dan (Warlock, are charges baseline/proc/talent-based?)
  • Charge (Warrior, Double Time)

Edit: I'll work on it when the servers come up tonight, assuming maintenance isn't extended. In addition, the next release will have 'linked' displays (got them working before shutdown), so duplicating the configurations if you want a texture/timer tracking the same thing won't be necessary.

In other news:

Next alpha release will hopefully be tomorrow, mostly as a bugfix one but with some new features (reworked animation editor, linked displays).

Layouts have been pushed to 5.1, since I don't have time to work on them just yet.

Gragagrogog 08-14-12 06:34 PM

There's new API GetSpellCharges, which should return the desired value, at least for player unit. (haven't tested it myself...)

Also, paladins have clemency talent which give an additional charge to all "Hand of ..." spells.

EDIT: Just tested it...
it takes spellname or spellid as argument and returns 4 values: currentCharges, maxCharges, rechargeStartTime(same format as GetTime()), rechargeTime(in seconds)

It returns nil if the spell have only one charge.

Also found a bug... calling it with "Chi Torpedo" when having bothcelerity and of course Chi Torpedo talents returns incorect results, checking for "Roll" works fine even if its replaced with torpedo.

Meorawr 08-15-12 07:19 AM

Yeah, the API is really messy with spells that replace other spells. Thanks for the tip though :)

Edit: Uploading alpha 8 now, lots of bugfixes/changes. Doesn't include this trigger yet though, haven't had time to work on it I'm afraid.

Meorawr 08-16-12 01:04 PM

I got some internal changes done last night which will make adding sources a lot easier going ahead. Next release will hopefully have sources for everything as a result. As servers have come down, don't expect it until tomorrow/the day after.

Also, I got that SpellCharges trigger working perfectly fine (sources included) just before the servers went down. Parameters are:
  • Match: The spell to match. ID or name is accepted. If the spell doesn't have charges, the trigger will operate based upon the cooldown of the spell (so max charges will be 1, and it'll have 1 when off CD). If the spell doesn't exist, then it'll be treated as having 0 current/max charges.
  • Charges: The number of charges to match.
  • Operator: Operator to use for the comparison. Defaults to '<='.
  • StacksInvert: Inverts the reported number of charges to Stacks sources. The default behaviour is for this to be off, so it'll report the number of remaining charges. Turning it on makes it report the number of missing charges.
  • TimePerCharge: This is for Timer sources, and it defaults to on. Reports the time remaining on the effect as the time until the next charge becomes available. Turning it off will make it report the time until all charges are returned.

I might consider adding another option (MaxCharges) which would override the maximum number of charges, effectively allowing you to make it so that StacksInvert tells you the number of charges missing from the custom maximum, or TimePerCharge telling you the time until you have <x> amount of charges.

Razee 08-16-12 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For me, PA is the most valuable addon available and I think it's great that you are putting in such effort to work out the issues you have identified. Thank you for creating this awesome tool! :banana:

I am going to try to offer some constructive feedback based on my use of the live version and my testing of the alpha for the new one. If my feedback can be of use to you I’m glad, and if it cannot then I understand, it is probably because I have not fully understood what you are trying to achieve.

About the UI...

What I find most problematic about the alpha UI at the moment is that the distinction between the Aura Browser and the Aura Editor is a bit confusing. In short, I think you are trying to do too much in the Aura Editor while not letting the Aura Browser manage some of the things that it ought to. I will go into more detail about what I mean.

In version 4, we used to have separate pages that contained auras (arranged in matrices), and as I understand it, what you now create and call “Auras” in the Aura Browser correspond to what those pages used to be. They are “containers” in which you can keep your different sets of auras. In turn, what used to be called Auras are now called Displays and these now exist only in the Aura Editor—you both select which one to edit and edit it within the Aura Editor.

So effectively, it’s like the Aura Editor isn't just the editor but also behaving as the browser for the different Displays within an "Aura", thus housing some of the utility that the Aura Browser used to. This leads to the structural depth of the Aura Editor becoming very large while the Aura Browser isn’t as useful anymore because it’s not very often that I switch which group of auras that I am working with (not as often as I toggle between individual Auras/Displays, at least).

I used to be able to create/delete/select my Aura/Display in one window (Browser) and then immediately be presented with editing options in the other (Editor). Now I basically have to do all of this in the Aura Editor window which leads to a lot of clicking back and forth in the structure. Is there a reason that I don’t understand for why some of the tasks of the Browser have been shifted over to the Editor? At the moment it just feels like the Editor has become confusing, click-intensive and cumbersome to work with.

I think it’s a great step to stop having a set number of pages that can contain a set number of auras and instead work with more abstract “containers” of auras. But why are these containers currently called “Auras” and why are the auras themselves called “Displays”? Why not just say that an Aura can now be a texture, a text, a counter/timer, a time bar, etc and these can be organized in something called Groups?

On some of my characters I use between 50 and 100 auras. In those cases it’d be great to have elaborate ways of organizing them but I also realize that many people probably settle for making 5 to 10 auras and are happy to just have them stored in one simple group. Thinking about the alpha of the new PA gave me the following idea, which is really just an idea and I have no clue how well it fits with either your design intent or the coding behind PA—but for a moment, suppose the following:

Within the Browser you can create Auras and Groups. An Aura can be a texture/text/timer/etc. A Group has no visual representation on the screen but can contain other Groups and/or Auras. (So it’s basically like a hierarchical folder/file system.) Now, while the Group doesn’t have any visual representation on the screen, it still has its own positioning parameters (just a non-visual anchor point), and can have its own activation triggers (which are then inherited by any Groups/Auras within the group). So, for example, if you have a number of Auras that you want visible only when you are in combat, you can make that a trigger for the Group and then you don’t have to set each Aura within the Group to only display when in combat.

I also see a potential here that it might make for performance increases since it might then be possible to program the addon so that it will know that it can ignore trying to evaluate any triggering parameters of the individual Auras within a Group if the Group itself isn’t triggered. A system like this could accommodate very complex collections of Auras, while at the same time, for the user that is satisfied making just 5 to 10 Auras, he/she doesn’t need to worry about creating any Groups or the complexity that can be achieved thereby. So it is up to the individual user’s needs how advanced and deep the structure of this part of the addon becomes.

So basically, the Aura Browser would handle Auras and Groups in terms of create/delete, cut/copy/paste, import/export and selection. Whenever an Aura or Group is selected, its properties are opened for editing in the Aura Editor window. (The Aura Editor would now be a relatively shallow structure, not needing the breadcrumbs anymore, but instead the Aura Browser might require some sort of breadcrumbs structure to handle going back up in the Group hierarchy.) And, as already said, triggers and positioning (maybe even a scale multiplier) would be inherited through the Group hierarchy.

I realize that this design might be far from feasible when compared to current design intents and I’m sure you can see many problems with it, but I wanted to share it none the less as an idea that I think would make the UI work better at least for someone using PA the way I do.

I also realize I haven’t mentioned anything about how custom made triggers or sources would work in this design but that is because I don’t feel like I yet understand how you mean for them to work on the whole. I would imagine though that the Browser would also handle the creation/deletion/selection of these and that the Editor would then be where their properties were handled.

I made a visual example of how I imagined the Browser possibly working in case my explanation in text managed to be unclear. I hope you don’t take offense to me playing around with your design so directly. I in no way mean that my suggestion is flawless and I fully understand if it is of no use to you in any way. :)

Meorawr 08-16-12 02:59 PM

The reasoning behind the naming 'change' for auras/displays was mostly for some similarity in what the code calls <x>. I could have kept the names, but it's one of those things that'd require a lot of changes to the localisation strings. That said, the Sources system isn't called Sources in the code, so I guess this is kind of a moot point now :)

I do agree that the browser seems somewhat redundant, I've been toying around with the idea of just exposing displays on the browser directly with the auras acting as the groups (similar to your suggestion - except without any logic/positioning for groups). I wouldn't mind giving it a try, certainly.

I'd probably not allow groups to have any impact on the logic, the reason being that not even the current containers (auras) affect the logic in any way - they exist purely for grouping purposes at this point. In fact, auras themselves didn't exist until after 100 changesets into initial development - a point where everything else was already in a working state.

I certainly wouldn't be averse to making it clearer about what display is linked to what internally. Maybe (borrowing your mockup) something like this would be in order, whereby displays that are linked to each other by their activation criteria (as added in the latest release) would appear in subgroups under the selected aura together. You could then rename the subgroup if the name is too vague (it'd be based off of the first 'Main' trigger, so Unit Aura in the example), and change the colouring of the group while you're at it. To edit a display you'd simply click on it.

Groups containing groups would probably be a no, since the aura/group hierarchy shown should suffice, for instance you could name an aura "Buffs" and name each individual group after the buffs those displays are responsible for tracking.

As for things like exporting/deleting an aura only being available in the editor right now, that's just a temporary thing. Right clicking an aura in a future release will have a context menu for this stuff, with the current tasks remaining as another way of pulling it off.

Thanks for the feedback at any rate :)

Meorawr 08-17-12 02:03 PM

Alpha 9 is out, has that SpellCharges trigger in it and basic sources support for ComboPoints/SpellCooldown (the latter also has new options, including ignoring the end of a cooldown if the GCD is currently active).

As for the previous post with the UI ideas for the browser, I'm going to try them out tonight and see what it ends up looking like.

Razee 08-18-12 09:04 AM

Maybe you are aware of it, but I notice on my prot warrior the Spell Off Cooldown trigger doesn't seem to be working as intended. The Ignore GCD and Ignore GCD End checkboxes seem to have no effect. (Maybe it's only the Ignore GCD that isn't working though, making it seem as if the Ignore GCD End has no effect.) On my enh shammy they appear to be working perfectly (and I have to say that the Ignore GCD End is going to be VERY useful!)

Meorawr 08-18-12 09:08 AM

The GCD detection probably needs fixing for certain classes, since it uses baseline spells (Warrior is set to use Strike). I'll play around with it real quick and see what's up :)

And yes, if Ignore GCD isn't working properly then the end will also not work as intended.

Edit: They removed Strike (seem to start with Heroic Strike directly now). Setting it to use Execute instead. Should be working, but I'm testing with about ~800ms so any real GCD testing is kind of hard to pull off :)

Razee 08-18-12 10:07 AM

I have three small requests, in case you'd be interested in taking them into consideration.

1) Exact colors
I have so many times been wanting to have several auras match each other in color. It's seemed to me that the only way to make sure you have a perfect color match is to work with duplicate auras (to preserve the color from one to the other). I would love it if the color picker had some option to enter a color numerically, in RGB or Hexadecimal or whatever, just some way of ensuring that you are using the exact same color on two auras.

2) Animation speed in seconds
I often use auras that spin like an egg-timer to visualize the duration of a short buff or sometimes a cooldown. Like for instance if I suddenly get a Sword and Board proc I have a little spinning aura show up that tells me "you have to consume this proc before this egg-timer is pointing straight upwards" (typically I would do this with an arrow type of texture that has a clear direction in which it's pointing). It works very intuitively for me in feeling how long I have before the buff or whatever expires and I prefer it to timebars. What I'm wondering is: wouldn't it be pretty easy to just have the animation speed slider be marked in seconds instead of just as a multiplier? As far as I have noticed, having the animation speed at 1 currently means that the animation will take 1 second per repeat (per rotation in the case of a Revolve-Clockwise animation). Wouldn't it be more useful to have the slider go from say 0.25 sec to 60 sec in intervals of 0.25? It seems to me that it would just be a matter of writing a little function that converts seconds into a multiplier of 1. I also can't really see that it would mean a downside when it comes to any other uses of animation speed. Naturally its possible for me to do this conversion manually (as I have been trying to do in version 4) but the problem is that some durations aren't currently possible to achieve exactly.

3) Time Frame trigger
I think it would be useful to have a trigger that simply restricts the display of an aura to a customizable time frame. What I mean by this is simply a trigger that has two parameters: Onset and Duration. If I set Onset to 5 seconds and Duration to 20 the aura will not appear immediately when all other trigger conditions are met but instead it will wait 5 seconds and if the trigger conditions are still being met it will then first actually display the aura. After that it will display the aura for a maximum of 20 seconds as long as the rest of the trigger conditions are met. I see a trigger like this as being very useful for tracking internal cooldowns of trinkets etc when the ICD is known by you personally but PA doesn't have any other way of tracking it. There are other situations as well in which I think this kind of trigger could be useful but I won't go through all of that.

In version 4, there was a duration slider on the animation tab which only went as far as 30 seconds (not making it useful for tracking most ICDs). This slider seems to only hide the display of the aura though while still considering the aura logically turned on. I think it would be beneficial to have a time frame type of trigger that actually in terms of logic considers the aura itself turned off if the conditions of the time frame aren't met.

Maybe the trigger explained above could simply be a development of the current Time Remaining trigger. The difference, of course, being that the suggestion I made has its chronological anchor point at the start of the trigger whereas "Time Remaining" has its base in the end point of the aura's duration. This could just be a matter of adding a checkbox that distinguishes between the Onset being in relation to the start or the end of the auras expected "life time". In other words, example: begin showing the aura 10 seconds from the start OR end of the aura's duration and show it for a maximum of 5 seconds thereafter. (I think the current restriction of 10 seconds in the Time Remaining trigger seems unnecessarily low though.)

Anyway, I realize that even if you would be interested in incorporating these requests they won't be (and shouldn't be) very high on your priority list but they are things I have been thinking about that I feel could improve the usability of the addon. Keep up the great work! :)

Meorawr 08-18-12 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razee (Post 259864)
I have three small requests, in case you'd be interested in taking them into consideration.

1) Exact colors
I have so many times been wanting to have several auras match each other in color. It's seemed to me that the only way to make sure you have a perfect color match is to work with duplicate auras (to preserve the color from one to the other). I would love it if the color picker had some option to enter a color numerically, in RGB or Hexadecimal or whatever, just some way of ensuring that you are using the exact same color on two auras.

We're using the built-in color picker that WoW provides, so modifying that frame directly is out of the question. However, I could implement a copy/paste for colours (maybe shift-right-click for copy, shift-left-click for paste), and just add a tooltip to the control with the information.

Quote:

2) Animation speed in seconds
I often use auras that spin like an egg-timer to visualize the duration of a short buff or sometimes a cooldown. Like for instance if I suddenly get a Sword and Board proc I have a little spinning aura show up that tells me "you have to consume this proc before this egg-timer is pointing straight upwards" (typically I would do this with an arrow type of texture that has a clear direction in which it's pointing). It works very intuitively for me in feeling how long I have before the buff or whatever expires and I prefer it to timebars. What I'm wondering is: wouldn't it be pretty easy to just have the animation speed slider be marked in seconds instead of just as a multiplier? As far as I have noticed, having the animation speed at 1 currently means that the animation will take 1 second per repeat (per rotation in the case of a Revolve-Clockwise animation). Wouldn't it be more useful to have the slider go from say 0.25 sec to 60 sec in intervals of 0.25? It seems to me that it would just be a matter of writing a little function that converts seconds into a multiplier of 1. I also can't really see that it would mean a downside when it comes to any other uses of animation speed. Naturally its possible for me to do this conversion manually (as I have been trying to do in version 4) but the problem is that some durations aren't currently possible to achieve exactly.

Should be doable, the animation UI's need polishing anyway so I'll see if I can incorporate it into them.

Quote:

3) Time Frame trigger
I think it would be useful to have a trigger that simply restricts the display of an aura to a customizable time frame. What I mean by this is simply a trigger that has two parameters: Onset and Duration. If I set Onset to 5 seconds and Duration to 20 the aura will not appear immediately when all other trigger conditions are met but instead it will wait 5 seconds and if the trigger conditions are still being met it will then first actually display the aura. After that it will display the aura for a maximum of 20 seconds as long as the rest of the trigger conditions are met. I see a trigger like this as being very useful for tracking internal cooldowns of trinkets etc when the ICD is known by you personally but PA doesn't have any other way of tracking it. There are other situations as well in which I think this kind of trigger could be useful but I won't go through all of that.

In version 4, there was a duration slider on the animation tab which only went as far as 30 seconds (not making it useful for tracking most ICDs). This slider seems to only hide the display of the aura though while still considering the aura logically turned on. I think it would be beneficial to have a time frame type of trigger that actually in terms of logic considers the aura itself turned off if the conditions of the time frame aren't met.

Maybe the trigger explained above could simply be a development of the current Time Remaining trigger. The difference, of course, being that the suggestion I made has its chronological anchor point at the start of the trigger whereas "Time Remaining" has its base in the end point of the aura's duration. This could just be a matter of adding a checkbox that distinguishes between the Onset being in relation to the start or the end of the auras expected "life time". In other words, example: begin showing the aura 10 seconds from the start OR end of the aura's duration and show it for a maximum of 5 seconds thereafter. (I think the current restriction of 10 seconds in the Time Remaining trigger seems unnecessarily low though.)

Anyway, I realize that even if you would be interested in incorporating these requests they won't be (and shouldn't be) very high on your priority list but they are things I have been thinking about that I feel could improve the usability of the addon. Keep up the great work! :)

It'd be a useful trigger, however the problem is at the moment the triggers are isolated and they can't tell which other triggers in the sequence have been activated - and there's no way to guarantee that a specific trigger is tested last. I could certainly change this however.

Time remaining having such a low limit is unintended, I'm still doing a polish pass on them + the animations (hence why SpellOffCooldown just got significantly improved).

Edit: I came up with a possible really easy way of implementing a time frame system. It won't be as a trigger, but rather I could expose some settings on the Activation action. They'd be available in the advanced editor, I'll give it a shot when the servers come up tonight.

In short, if I'm right, I could just stick some parameters onto the DisplayActivate action which control an onset delay and a time window to show for. They'd also be at a per-sequence level, so you could have multiple sequences with different durations if desired.

Dridzt 08-18-12 11:11 AM

Regarding (1) you can use ColorPicker Plus that modifies/enhances the default colorpicker.

Razee 08-18-12 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dridzt (Post 259868)
Regarding (1) you can use ColorPicker Plus that modifies/enhances the default colorpicker.

Oh thanks! I didn't even think to consider that there might be an addon for that.

Meorawr 08-18-12 12:04 PM

I'll probably do a new release tomorrow. Server shutdown = 10 hour maintenance = not much I can really do.

I did put in a Talents trigger though, so you can limit activation based upon your chosen talents.

Meorawr 08-18-12 06:10 PM

I got a basic implementation of a time frame for displays done. At the moment you can set an onset (a delay before it shows) and a duration (the time period for which it shows).

If the onset is 0, there's no delay, and if the duration is 0 then the display will hide when the criteria are no longer met - so you can use either of the features without needing both of them. If both values are zero, you get the current behaviour with no code changes (the implementation is really messy).

A small implementation detail, the rate at which these are processed is limited by your Update Speed setting. If it's too low, you'll notice minor delays in when the displays should show/hide.

In addition I've currently got advanced features which change how these behave. No guarantees these will all survive, but in basic testing they're all working perfectly:
  • Rolling Onset: If the display is deactivated and subsequently reactivated before the onset duration from the initial activation has been exceeded, then the current progress won't be reset. For example, if the onset is set to 5 seconds, and after 2.5 seconds a display is deactivated and reactivated, there'll still be 2.5 seconds left on the initial onset. Turning it off will reset the progress to 0, making it wait a full 5 seconds again. Defaults to true (on).
  • Immortal Onset: If set to true, the display cannot be killed during its onset. By default what happens is if a display's activation criteria are no longer met at the end of its onset, then it won't show. Turning this on will make it immortal, so it'll ignore the state and display for its full duration. This won't have any effect if the duration is set to 0, and the immortality does not affect the display when in the duration phase. Defaults to false (off).
  • Override: If the current active sequence changes and this is set to true, the onset and duration will be replaced by the ones set in this sequence. So for example, say sequence #2 activates with a duration of 5 seconds, and then 2 seconds in sequence #1 is activated with a duration of 7 seconds. If override is true on the sequence #1, the duration becomes 7 seconds. If it's false, then it remains at 5 seconds. This affects the onset, durations and immortality settings - however if a display is currently in the 'show' state and the onset is extended to a duration that should otherwise make the display hide, it won't have any effect. For example, if the display is showing for 7 seconds (duration phase) and a sequence activates with a 20 minute onset, then the display won't hide as it's already passed the onset phase.
  • Rolling Duration: If the display deactivates and subsequently reactivates while inside of its duration phase, then the progress will be altered in a specific way based upon the setting. If 0, the progress will not be touched (so if it has a duration of 15 seconds, and it's scheduled to hide in 5 seconds, it'll hide in 5 seconds). If 1, the progress will be reset to 0 (so in the previous example, it'd show for another 15 seconds). If 2, the time for which it'll be shown is extended by the duration (so it'd show for another 20 seconds, factoring in the 5 that currently remain). There's no cap in the last case, but I included it on the off chance it becomes useful. The default setting is 1, so it'll extend to an amount equal to the duration.

Due to how this is implemented, it's highly unlikely that there'll be a way to use the duration information for timers/bars/triggers and whatnot however. This might change at a later date.

Razee 08-18-12 06:28 PM

Wow this sounds amazing! I think a trigger like this can add a lot of creative usability, especially with the added features you describe. I'm excited to get to test it. :)

Meorawr 08-18-12 06:32 PM

Yeah, it's hell to test all these combinations though.

I'm extending the Rolling Onset setting to be the same as the Rolling Duration one too, and adding an additional setting for handling the current progress during sequence changes.

Edit: Enjoy testing it, you'll find the settings in the advanced activation editor by the trigger operators/sequences stuff. I'll expose the onset/duration settings in the basic one too at some point.

On a side note, I'm feature freezing on either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. I'll have all the necessary triggers/sources done by then hopefully (aiming for the next release, in fact). After then any new features/triggers/whatever will be postponed until 5.1, the time between the freeze and the 28th will be the official beta-quality period, with a release planned on the 28th. Might be postponed to the 29th if needed.

Razee 08-18-12 09:39 PM

When I create a Display in advanced mode (with multiple triggers: !1&2&!3) I get the following error showing up (count continues indefinitely). The Display also won't appear when it should. (In this particular example, triggers 1 and 3 are Spell Off Cooldown and 2 is just the normal Player Status.) If you want more details just let me know.

Time: 08/19/12 05:30:37
Count: 1504
Stack: :14: in function `action'
Interface\AddOns\PowerAuras\Dispatcher.lua:108: in function <Interface\AddOns\PowerAuras\Dispatcher.lua:93>

Meorawr 08-19-12 04:08 AM

This is why I shouldn't alpha release at 2am :p

I'll see what's up with it.

Edit: Found the problem. Fixed the problem. Uploaded the non-problem.

Razee 08-19-12 10:05 AM

New error, same situation. :)

Trigger operators are as follows: !1&2&!3. Triggers 1 and 3 are Spell Off Cooldown, trigger 2 is Player Status. When spell 1 is On Cooldown (!1 == TRUE) there is no error, but as soon as spell 3 is On Cooldown (!3 == TRUE) then a repeated error starts counting and the Display does not appear. So in other words, !1 seems to be handled perfectly but !3 seems to create an error as soon as it holds true. Triggers 1 and 3 are identical except for spell name.

Code:

Message: ...Ons\PowerAuras\Classes\Triggers\SpellOffCooldown.lua:85: attempt to index local 'store' (a nil value)
Time: 08/19/12 17:40:53
Count: 494
Stack: ...Ons\PowerAuras\Classes\Triggers\SpellOffCooldown.lua:85: in function <...Ons\PowerAuras\Classes\Triggers\SpellOffCooldown.lua:48>
:9: in function `action'
Interface\AddOns\PowerAuras\Dispatcher.lua:108: in function <Interface\AddOns\PowerAuras\Dispatcher.lua:93>

If I delete trigger 2 (Player Status) and thus are left with triggers 1 and 2 now both being Spell Off Cooldown triggers then the error does not occur and the aura Displays as it should. So the error only occurs when there are at least three trigger conditions.

If I then reintroduce the Player Status trigger as trigger 3 with then the trigger operators as: !1&!2&3, the error does not occur. Let me know if you want more details.

Also...

I have noticed a small issue with the Ignore GCD End option. If I have this checked and the associated spell is on cooldown, and I then trigger a GCD when the associated spell's cooldown has between 2 and 3 seconds left, then the Display associated with the Spell Off Cooldown trigger will flash for a moment when the GCD is over (but the associated spell itself actually has between 1 and 0.5 seconds left of its cooldown). Here is a manual time log to be extra clear:

0 seconds: Spell A has 3 seconds left on its cd (Display for Spell A is not showing)
0.5 seconds: Spell A has 2.5 seconds left on its cd and a GCD is initiated (Display for Spell A is not showing)
2 seconds: Spell A has 1 second left on its cd and the GCD is just finished (Display for Spell A incorrectly flashes for a brief moment)
3 seconds: Spell A's cd is finished (Display for Spell A is correctly showing)

Meorawr 08-19-12 10:25 AM

Fixed the first bug. If you want to fix it locally, change line 26 in PowerAuras\Types\Triggers\Loader.lua from:
Code:

tinsert(actionData["Stores"], class:InitialiseDataStore(params));
to
Code:

tinsert(actionData["Stores"], class:InitialiseDataStore(params) or false);
Having trouble reproducing the second, what abilities are you testing it with? (The one you're tracking via Spell Cooldown, and the ones you're using to invoke the GCD).

Razee 08-19-12 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meorawr (Post 259950)
Having trouble reproducing the second, what abilities are you testing it with? (The one you're tracking via Spell Cooldown, and the ones you're using to invoke the GCD).

I'm on a prot warrior, my two spell off cooldown triggers are for Revenge and Shield Slam and I have seen the issue show up on both. The GCD is invoked by Devastate.

Meorawr 08-19-12 10:55 AM

I've reproduced it a couple of times, but only with the Ignore GCD setting off (Ignore GCD End is on however).

And I swear, I used to love Sword and Board procs up until now :p

Razee 08-19-12 11:15 AM

I have both boxes checked (Ignore GCD and Ignore GCD End). I don't, however, have Usable checked. Maybe that's what causes the problem to show up more clearly for me.

Meorawr 08-19-12 11:20 AM

I think I've nailed it, basically it doesn't check how long is left on the GCD before deciding that it's fine to show it. So with a cooldown of 1 second remaining, if the GCD only has 0.2 seconds it'll show for 0.2 seconds (as the 1 second remaining is less than the class GCD).

Fix for it is to just make sure the remaining duration on the GCD is >= the remaining duration of the cooldown I think.

Edit: Seem to have fixed it now, thanks :)

Razee 08-20-12 10:07 AM

I know that you are feature freezing soon, so I don't know if you are interested in more ideas about new things, but here are a couple more thoughts in case you fancy them. :)

1) Animation reset on Display reset
Let's say I have a Display triggered by a buff. This buff always lasts 8 seconds. 4 seconds into the buff, the buff refreshes giving it a new 8 seconds of duration. Would it be possible to have some way of the animation process also resetting at this point? Meaning that the start animation is replayed and the following repeated animation restarts its cycling (but the end animation doesn't play just because of the refresh). Basically, I would like the visual impression of that the Display was refreshed which a starting animation can provide. I used to solve this by making the aura hidden until 7.75 seconds remaining which resulted in the aura disappearing for 0.25 seconds every time the buff refreshed and then restarting. It would be more convenient though if there was some option to simply have the animation reset whenever the Display refreshes its duration. (It's really only with buff/debuff tracking Displays that I can see such an option having any practical use.)

2) Keypress trigger
Something that I have been thinking about for a while is that it would be cool if there was a way to manually use keyboard combinations to work as triggers. I am thinking it would probably be pretty easy to implement. It might sound useless and abstract though, so let me give a couple of examples where I have felt a need for this.
a) Taking a prot warrior as example right now: When single-target tanking I will want to use Thunder Clap to make sure that the Weakened Blows debuff is kept on the target and thus I would make a Display that brings my attention to that it's about to wear off (~ every 30 seconds). However, if I am multi-target tanking I would want to use Thunder Clap on cooldown (every 6 seconds) and I would want a Display that brings my attention to Thunder Clap every time it's off cooldown. Now, I don't think there's any way we can get PA to somehow sense if I am in a single-target situation or a multi-target situation, so it would be awesome if I, on the fly, through a customizable keypress could alter how my PA functions. In this situation: hitting, say, Ctrl-D toggles a trigger from FALSE to TRUE that causes my PA to now bring attention to Thunder Clap and Shockwave as soon as they are available, and hitting Ctrl-D again reverts to PA only letting me know when I need to use Thunder Clap to reapply Weakened Blows. I think most classes have similar situations where the way they use their skills is altered by dealing with a multi-mob situation. But in general as well, I think it would be really cool to be able to have manual triggers at your command that on the fly alters the functionality of your PA.

b) Suppose I have several long cooldowns that I want to track using PA. I find though that they clutter the screen a bit and detract from the rest of the information my other Displays are providing me with. So it would be nice to have some way of making these time counter Displays only show when I actually have an interest in the exact duration left on the cooldown. In this situation it would be cool if, for instance, while holding down Ctrl a trigger changes from FALSE to TRUE causing these Displays to show up and releasing Ctrl causes them to hide again. So a slightly different functionality than example a.
It's a pretty simply type of trigger. Most users probably wouldn't have much need for it but for heavy PA users I can see it providing a new kind of flexibility.

3) Fading out the Editor window
I recall you yourself having asked for feedback about having some way of fading out the Aura Editor window, like holding the mouse over it and pressing Ctrl. I do think it might be an issue for people that the Aura Editor covers the auras on the actual playing screen. I don't know if the size of the Editor window itself is finalized but it would be awesome if it wasn't quite as wide. In version 4 I used to keep the Browser window on the left side of the screen and the Editor window on the right side which left me with the center free. The new Editor window is quite a bit wider though so I'm finding it trickier.

In essence I think some way of making the Editor window fade to higher transparency would be a good idea (regardless of if the Editor can be made smaller or not). But would enough users do the necessary reading or testing to learn that holding down Ctrl while hovering over the Editor makes it fade away? Another way of achieving the same thing that I thought about was this: Suppose that simply hovering the mouse over the Browser window causes the Editor window to fade out. However, as soon as something in the Browser window is selected, the Editor window will of course reappear showing the selected item (until the mouse is brought off of the Browser and back onto it again). The reason I think this would work is because if a user moves the mouse away from the Editor and onto the Browser it will most likely mean they aren't interested in the current information in the Editor anymore but are instead wanting to load the Editor with new information via the Browser, so I don't think the risk of the Editor window fading out annoyingly when you are still trying to look at it is very large. At the same time, this solution would inevitable illustrate this fading out functionality for every user simply through their natural interaction with the UI; it doesn't require any reading up of hotkeys or unintuitive trial-and-error. It's a bit unconventional though so I definitely do feel that it's hard to know if it would really work as hoped without simply trying it and seeing if it feels "smart" or just awkward.

I promise these will be my final thoughts of "added functionality" since I know you'll be moving into beta soon. ;) Meanwhile, I am finding the alpha to really be starting to function well and I love how solid the trigger operators are feeling compared to version 4. You're doing an awesome job!

Meorawr 08-20-12 10:13 AM

Aiming for another release tonight, I'll quickly summarise each point you've raised though (thanks again for all the feedback by the way):
  • Animation resetting: That sounds like a feature for a future release, but yeah it should be kind of possible at some point.
  • Keypress trigger: Doable, but it would only work when the key is pressed. Releasing the key can't be detected (I'm not sure if it's an API bug at this point). It'd work for the example you gave, whereby a boolean state is toggled each time the combination is pressed, but I wouldn't be able to expand it further than that.
  • Editor fading: Ctrl+Alt+Shift while mousing over the editor does that for now. I agree it needs to be more exposed, I'm thinking of sticking a button next to the Close button on the editor window that would act as a toggle for this - and maybe an option for automated alpha fading based upon where the mouse is/isn't.

As for the features going ahead:
  • Triggers
  • Tracking and UnitMatch triggers have been removed. I might reimplement them at a later date, but I'm questioning their worth considerably right now.
  • I've just implemented Totems, ZoneType (instance/bg/arena) and WeaponEnchant.
  • UnitData (class checks, etc) might be delayed until 5.1.
  • UnitAuraType won't be in today's release, but will be in for 5.0.
  • Actions
  • Working on DisplayAlpha and DisplayColor actions now.
  • Standalone actions will probably be cut until 5.1. There's not enough of them to justify keeping them in at the moment, so I'd rather hold them back until they can get some attention. The only one this really affects is triggering sounds in events that aren't related to displays.
  • Custom Triggers
  • Custom triggers are next on the list of things to do. Just working on the UI for them. They'll be expanded further in a future release, but they'll be in for 5.0.
  • Tutorials
  • These will be worked on last, hopefully I'll have time to flesh these out again.
  • Exporting/Importing
  • Will be done, but they might be limited a bit (namely, exporting/importing lone displays will probably be postponed). Exporting/importing will work for profiles and auras.
  • Moving/Copying
  • Will be done soon.
  • UI stuff
  • Advanced animations editor will be put back in soon, hopefully.
  • Source editing for triggers should be accessible again, soon.

As you can see, a lot of things to do :)

Vampyrate 08-20-12 01:07 PM

Hi Meo, while not a user of your addon (yet, I may soon), i saw this thread. You mentioned about a trigger on keypress vs keyrelease. As far as I know, WOW operates on key release by a default. There was an addon awhile back that changed WOW to operate on keyPRESS which was aimed at increasing DPS.

Meorawr 08-20-12 02:02 PM

The method used for detecting keypresses without actually stealing focus of them only works on key down, basically it involves creating a frame which accepts keyboard input, showing it and setting SetPropagateKeyboardInput to true and handling the keypresses in an OnKeyDown script handler. There's an accompanying OnKeyUp script too, but that never gets fired with SPKI set to true (it does, however, if SPKI is false).

If that was a bit complicated, then in a simple explanation: The method used for keybinding abilties and triggering a keypress trigger (if I do add it) are two entirely different things :)

Meorawr 08-20-12 03:17 PM

Alpha 12 is going up, next release should hopefully be the last alpha - the focus of it will be a 4.x to 5.0 upgrade. I don't promise that it'll be flawless, but if you want to help then you can provide me with existing saved variables for testing purposes:
  • Go to your WTF folder in your WoW installation folder.
  • Find "PowerAuras.lua" files in the folders: "WTF\Account\<Account Name>\SavedVariables" and "WTF\Account\<Account Name>\<Realm Name>\<Character Name>\SavedVariables".
  • Open the files in any text editor (notepad will do), and copy the contents.
  • Paste the contents into a Pastebin paste. I don't mind if you paste all the files into a single paste, or if you do a single paste per file, but please make it clear if there's more than one file in a single paste.
  • Post the link to the paste here, or in a PM to me.
  • If you want to be really helpful, a short summary on what each aura is supposed to do will help me pinpoint any subtle conversion bugs. Without it I can only really guess if it's working as intended.

As the system will be quite buggy, the plan is to keep a copy of the upgraded profile stored somewhere and expose a slash command (/powa migrate) which will replace your current profile with your old settings - so if the conversion is horribly inaccurate at first, and improvements are made to the process, you can just have it redo the upgrade without needing to keep the old settings around yourself.

When in the beta phase, the plans are:
  • Fix critical bugs (as in, ones that cause horrible errors). There's a few bugs lying around right now that don't really affect anything, so I'm not in a complete rush to fix them as of yet.
  • Tune the upgrade process.
  • Add missing UI sections and give touch ups to the places that need them.

If any features need to be cut, they'll be the following (in order of precedence). I don't like cutting things, but it's a case of having to work to Blizzard's patch release schedule.
  • Advanced animation editing.
  • Tutorials
  • Time Remaining/Stacks triggers
  • Custom Triggers

Silvertaurus 08-21-12 09:03 AM

Heya.
Just general feedback.

I dont know if I did miss it before, or its something new (since Alpha7).
In single 'Aura' you may have multiple displays..
But then you might add displays which inherits from other (if you trigger adding display from inside other).. at start I found it bit confusing at start since all displays are still shown in single Aura summary..

Changing Auras names and adding descriptions is not implemented. I might not be big priority to the main functionality of Addon, but would help in managing Auras. It was there in early Alpha versions :(

When you want to anchor position of one display to another, you have list of all displays avaible in all auras. There is no description, just generic icon of it - in my case its just WoW Logo or Timer Bar Icon.. and got 4 of each. Easy to get lost in them ^_^

Only real error I encountered is still WoW crashing when I press [Copy] button in debug windo :o
(Other error I fixed by removing files with Auras I did set in older build)

Meorawr 08-21-12 09:08 AM

Inherited displays showing in the display grid was one of those things I couldn't really decide on - the advantage of showing them there is that it's one less click if you want to edit the inherited displays, but it does complicate things a bit. I might remove them from the grid again.

Changing aura names/descriptions is missing, you're right. I'll add it again soon :)

The dialogs themselves need some polish in general, what I'd likely do is separate each display by the aura that they're in. It'll also not show displays that it can't parent to (for instance, it won't show the display that you're anchoring, because anchoring to yourself makes no sense).

The WoW error on the copy button is known, I'll fix it later.

Silvertaurus 08-21-12 09:30 AM

Seems the other error i though I fixed did came back =(

Recreating Step by step:
- Making an Aura with 2 displays:
--- texture showing up when my Shadow Word: Pain is on target
--- timer bar, inheriting from display 1 (showing its duration) and setting Parent display to the texture
- Making 2nd similar Aura for Vampiric Touch
- Both are working fine at this moment
- removing TimerBar for Aura1 - all is working fine (for future reference)
- bringing back this TimerBar
- removing TimerBar from Aura2

At this moment UI is breaking
- 'Aura Browser' window is fully functional no problem here
- 'Aura Editor' for any Aura is kina blank.
--- no buttons of any sort (just the X to close window)
--- just 3 segments of menu, displays and top 'location' bar.
- Icons of displays in choosen Aura are
--- displayed in 'default' position,
--- not anhored to the window of 'Aura Editor'
--- not clickable

[EDIT] Just tried the above steps where 2nd display is not inheriting from 1st ... the same problem.

Meorawr 08-22-12 04:44 AM

I'll take a look later on today. I did try to basically reproduce it last night, but it worked fine for me. I probably missed something though :)

Silvertaurus 08-22-12 10:00 AM

This is how my setup works in beta :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tyIzjhyySg

This is the issue :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxrLdsbnt6g

The error in chat is :

Power Auras Classic: Error:
...rface\AddOns\PowerAuras\Types\Displays\Variables.lua:158: Display ID 256 does not resolve to a valid display

Meorawr 08-22-12 10:02 AM

Ah, I was only testing it with a single aura. Got the error now I think. Fun fact, most bugs are actually due to me not properly testing something with an aura that isn't #1 in the list :p

Edit: Mostly fixed it - it doesn't completely fail now, but there still is an error somewhere (which has no effect).

Edit #2: Nailed the other bug. Should also fix error messages when deleting a parent display - issue was just it not validating the displays still existed when it tried to reconfigure them, which was harmless anyway.

Meorawr 08-22-12 01:27 PM

Alpha-whatever-it-is is going out now.

Got the basic 4.x to 5.0 upgrade code done. It's going to have a ton of issues, but here's the rundown at the moment:
  • Currently, timers/stacks aren't migrated. Neither are animations/sounds, this'll be fixed soon.
  • Text displays don't have their fonts properly migrated.
  • Texture displays might have the wrong texture (custom textures work, as do numbered textures and the use icon setting should also work. The WoW textures option doesn't migrate yet, and if you had a custom texture which used a spell name/ID, it'll only work if you migrate the settings with the appropriate class that has the spell.
  • The tank/healer/DPS role settings don't migrate. Partially because they don't have exactly-matching triggers, but also because the specialisation trigger can be configured to cover that (it includes options for actual talent specs now).
  • The invert aura below setting won't migrate.
  • While triggers are successfully generated for support types, main types don't migrate at all right now.
  • Global auras are stuck in their own profile, and their upgrading hasn't yet been tested.
  • The 4.x settings are serialized into a string and stored, so when future refinements are made to the process you won't be out of luck as far as requesting a re-upgrade goes. There's a /powa migrate slash command being added for this, however I've not added it to this release.

Basically, early WiP and so on so forth, but the code is there and it (for the most part) works - it's just missing some functionality right now and has glaring omissions.

First beta release will be tomorrow or Friday, depending upon patch schedules and so on. Also, this release has custom triggers implemented at a reasonably basic level.

Melvex 08-22-12 03:23 PM

Meorawr, how can I create aura that would display current value of eclipse energy?
I can't find in MoP Powa chechbox with "Aura's text" Like >--this--< on 4.23 version powa.

And where is the button for shut off of auras? It's uncomfortable when you see on screen raw aura and you have to remove it because of you don't have enough time for tune it.

judge40 08-23-12 05:30 AM

Does POWA 5.0 currently support the new Blizzard raid buff tracker?
i.e. the collapsing buff icon which will show how many of the 8 buffs you have and categorise them into types (Stats, Stamina, Mastery etc.)
See http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/03/29/ad...pgrades-thurs/

For example so I could set up an aura which showed if I had the Stamina buff or not, without having to specify each particular source of the buff.

At the moment I have a rather fiddly set up on my paladin which checks if I have cast BoM/BoK, if I have an equivalent buff from another class and then mashes it all up together to show me whether I need to re-cast my buffs and which one is preferable.

If POWA can be used to track the new system it would make my life somewhat easier, since I could just track for the buff type rather than have to specify each and every source myself.

Meorawr 08-23-12 05:42 AM

It's being rolled into the UnitAuraType trigger (it'll be a fixed list of types, ranging from dispel types like Magic to group buff types like Stats).

judge40 08-23-12 06:05 AM

Excellent, thanks for the response.

While I've not had as much time as I'd have liked to play around on the beta/PTR with POWA I've been keeping an eye on the changes through this thread and I'm really impressed with the changes, I think you've done a great job.