WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   UI scaling on high resolution (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41220)

Haleth 08-20-11 04:56 AM

UI scaling on high resolution

Hi there.

My new iMac arrived (yay!) but the resolution seems to be too high for WoW's UI scaling. I have 2560x1440, but not even the lowest UI scale (or disabling UI scaling altogether) will make 1-pixel stuff (borders, fonts, ...) look decent.

Here's a screenshot:

Is this something I will have to live with, or can I change it?

Aprikot 08-20-11 10:40 AM

If I'm not mistaken, 1200 pixels would be the highest vertical resolution at which you could have pixel perfection using the lowest value (0.64) of the in-game slider.

Your max vertical of 1440 would want a UI Scale of ~0.53 for pixel perfection, but I'm not sure if the game client accepts if you manually set a value beloe 0.64...worth a shot maybe.

You could always play at 2560x1200 for a cool cinema vibe. :p

Haleth 08-20-11 11:04 AM

I see. This is quite a problem because my entire UI + Aurora is based around 1-pixel borders, offsets, and pixel fonts. :(

I don't understand why the WoW UI works in such a strange way. In order to get exactly the same UI size on a bigger screen, you need to 'scale down' the UI. Weird.

I'm going to ask Blizz if I can somehow set the scale below .64, I suppose.

Edit: Funnily enough, Tukui works just fine. I need to check out how it handles scaling.

Aftermathhqt 08-20-11 11:37 AM

maybe its the pixel font that doesn't work on high reso?

Cause your chat font looks fine. :P

(offtopic) btw you should try to use Multisampling 4x ;)

Haleth 08-20-11 11:50 AM

Well, I found this:

Code:

768/string.match(GetCVar("gxResolution"), "%d+x(%d+)")/min(2, max(.64, 768/string.match(GetCVar("gxResolution"), "%d+x(%d+)")))
I don't understand any of that, but what I do understand is that it equals a proper '1'. So if I use this everywhere, I should be fine, I think. :o

@ Game92; changing multisampling doesn't really seem to change anything, I think blizz changed the effect of multisampling on the UI a while ago.

Aftermathhqt 08-20-11 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleth (Post 243470)
Well, I found this:

Code:

768/string.match(GetCVar("gxResolution"), "%d+x(%d+)")/min(2, max(.64, 768/string.match(GetCVar("gxResolution"), "%d+x(%d+)")))
I don't understand any of that, but what I do understand is that it equals a proper '1'. So if I use this everywhere, I should be fine, I think. :o

@ Game92; changing multisampling doesn't really seem to change anything, I think blizz changed the effect of multisampling on the UI a while ago.

Naaaaa, didn't mean that! wow will look better than! you get rid of all the pixels grafics and make them look more smooth. what i mean, your minimap, the panel seem to have 1pixel border

Aprikot 08-20-11 12:01 PM

I did some quick testing, and it looks like you're in luck. Changing the uiscale CVar to 0.53 just changes the actual UI scale to 0.64:

Code:

/console uiscale 0.5333333333333333
But this command takes it smaller than 0.64 (actually 0.5333333333333333 presumably :p):

Code:

/run UIParent:SetScale(0.5333333333333333)
My understanding is that these both are doing the exact same thing, but the uiscale CVar is limited at 0.64 (maybe someone can clarify?).

Haleth 08-20-11 12:14 PM

@ Game92; that's just the upload quality probably, I have multisampling at 8x. :)

@ Aprikot; That's awesome, thanks! Will try that out.

Edit: It works! So in my UI scaling script, I can just put that if the optimal scale is <.64.

You are my new hero. :p

Aftermathhqt 08-20-11 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleth (Post 243474)
@ Game92; that's just the upload quality probably, I have multisampling at 8x. :)

Edit: It works! So in my UI scaling script, I can just put that if the optimal scale is <.64.

How can it be so :O

Aprikot 08-20-11 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleth (Post 243474)

Lol, shucks :p. It looks like there's already an addon here that uses this method onload...http://www.wowinterface.com/download...8-UIScale.html:

lua Code:
  1. local f = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent)
  2. f:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD")
  3. f:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self, event)
  4.     UIParent:SetScale(0.6)  -- change the size and reload your ui (/reloadui) or restart the game
  5.     f:UnregisterAllEvents()
  6. end)

Haleth 08-20-11 01:40 PM

I see. Still, better to calculate the optimal value and set it to that. :)

I use this now:

Code:

local scaler = CreateFrame("Frame")
scaler:RegisterEvent("VARIABLES_LOADED")
scaler:RegisterEvent("UI_SCALE_CHANGED")
scaler:SetScript("OnEvent", function()
        if 768/string.match(({GetScreenResolutions()})[GetCurrentResolution()], "%d+x(%d+)") < .64 then
                UIParent:SetScale(768/string.match(({GetScreenResolutions()})[GetCurrentResolution()], "%d+x(%d+)"))
        end
end)

(Registering UI scale change because I switch in and out of windowed mode a lot)

And everything works fine! (well, my GPU diode is chilling at 85°C but that's a different story...)

litesung 08-20-11 01:46 PM

I suggest using these two addons, for a temporary/permanent fix.

nibWindowSize
nibUIScale

Haleth 08-20-11 02:22 PM

Window size does look nice (everything looks so relatively small on a big screen), but scaling gives me my original issue of messed up borders/fonts. :)

Loki79 04-20-13 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
i got some similar graphic problem, but wasnt able to solve it via ui scale settings. I tried to disable ui scale and i changed ui scale to several values (only with the ingame menu)

It looks like this:

- see attachment -

I dont want the space between background and border. The close 'x' also looks weird. So what can I do?
Thx 4 ure help

Loki

- EDIT -
This was for the Aurora addon page, but i missed a tab, so sorry for the doublepost...