WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   discontinued addon (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55592)

Cerebro 07-22-17 11:41 AM

discontinued addon

Is there a rule against posting an updated addon that was scrapped and deleted in the past and the author is no longer playing wow?

Kanegasi 07-22-17 01:57 PM

It's entirely up to the author. I highly suggest trying to get in contact with them, usually through a PM here or on Curse. If they don't respond after a few weeks or so, you can't find anything stating they don't want their addons continued, and the license they used, if any, allows it, you should be okay posting it with some sort of explanation about "updated" or "continued" with credit to them. You should include links and if you intend to use their addon's name, make sure to use "updated" or "continued" in your addon's name.

What addon are you trying to update or continue?

Seerah 07-22-17 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanegasi (Post 324302)
and the license they used, if any, allows it

To clarify, if the addon did not include a license stating that this is allowed, then you are not allowed. No license == all rights reserved.

Also, moved to different forum.

Cerebro 07-22-17 05:53 PM

Alright, it is SyncUI. Loved the addon so i updated it to work with 7.2.5

Seerah 07-22-17 07:42 PM

In that case, read this thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54763

Kanegasi 07-22-17 07:56 PM

Relevant quote from that thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaychez (Post 320558)
He did let everyone know on his Discord channel , He is discontinuing SyncUi, and he doesn't want anyone else to continue developing it.

Sorry Cerebro :(

Cerebro 07-22-17 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanegasi (Post 324308)
Relevant quote from that thread:

Sorry Cerebro :(

Ah its no biggy

Kkthnx 07-26-17 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 324305)
To clarify, if the addon did not include a license stating that this is allowed, then you are not allowed. No license == all rights reserved.

Also, moved to different forum.

You guys here really turn my gears. How are you going to state this and then also be a staff member and be so unaware of all the add-ons people do this with. It's just baffling.

To continue my post. Honestly, you guys just seem so unaware of all the issues your site holds. People boosting their downloads themselves. People uploading other peoples work. People removing files out of other peoples work than uploading it here. The list really goes on. It seems you only come out of the shadows to "try" to enforce these rules that seem to be broken daily.

Rainrider 07-26-17 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kkthnx (Post 324344)
@Cerebro You can honestly just upload your fan-based version to GitHub if you really wanted to.

If something is open source, it does not mean it is not protected. If the original license prohibited it, then don't do it. Where you upload it is irrelevant, it could be taken down and legal consequences may arise.

Kkthnx you make a lot of claims. Point to actual cases so that they could be resolved. And btw the download count is no issue in my opinion. If you like something based on how many others liked it, then, in my eyes, it is a problem with your taste. Same goes for downloading stuff.

Kkthnx 07-26-17 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainrider (Post 324346)
If something is open source, it does not mean it is not protected. If the original license prohibited it, then don't do it. Where you upload it is irrelevant, it could be taken down and legal consequences may arise.

Kkthnx you make a lot of claims. Point to actual cases so that they could be resolved. And btw the download count is no issue in my opinion. If you like something based on how many others liked it, then, in my eyes, it is a problem with your taste. Same goes for downloading stuff.

Claims. If that's what you wanna call it.

Ketho 07-26-17 04:34 AM

I noticed there are indeed a lot of fan updates, but most are GPLv3/MIT/unknown instead of ARR license
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...h=fan%20update

The few I could find that are ARR:38820 Creating a Fan Update
48337 Question about LerbUI and brining out a Fan update.
48852 Fan Update Policy Question

Kanegasi 07-26-17 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kkthnx (Post 324347)
Claims. If that's what you wanna call it.

I was going to use one of your addons as an example and just upload to github as a fan update, citing some way you coded I didn't like so I changed it, but it seems like you're marked as an author by mistake.

Kkthnx 07-26-17 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanegasi (Post 324349)
I was going to use one of your addons as an example and just upload to github as a fan update, citing some way you coded I didn't like so I changed it, but it seems like you're marked as an author by mistake.

Oh come on this was not even about you. I was stating something that is honestly a real issue here and I have indeed reported it (a couple times). Now you gotta go trying to butt heads and stick your nose where it doesn't belong. :rolleyes:

Enlighten me with the AddOn name?

Mistake, so you just know everything I have ever posted here in the past? :confused: again enlighten me of your knowledge!

Thank you kindly for pointing these out. I dearly wouldn't want it to just be claims. @Ketho

Lombra 07-26-17 05:32 AM

Now you're just coming off as salty. This was a peaceful thread with a simple purpose until you came in ranting about double standards and proceeded to bring up completely irrelevant issues. ("download boosts")

Seerah was merely informing about the rules. Any breaking of these rules is unfortunate, but this is hardly the place to bring up random rants.

Kkthnx 07-26-17 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombra (Post 324351)
Now you're just coming off as salty. This was a peaceful thread with a simple purpose until you came in ranting about double standards and proceeded to bring up completely irrelevant issues. ("download boosts")

Seerah was merely informing about the rules. Any breaking of these rules is unfortunate, but this is hardly the place to bring up random rants.

Well, maybe the unfortunate rule breaking will be looked into now, and not just blown off again. I've made my point. Thanks :D

Resike 07-26-17 06:35 AM

Well there is always a loophole, if they remove the infringement content whitin 48 hours from the DMCA then you can't really make legal actions. Which is dumb, but it is what it is.

Rainrider 07-26-17 06:46 AM

Actually you didn't make any point but kept ranting even after it was pointed out to you. Ketho made your point because he/she supported your claims with evidence. Now it is up to the mods to evaluate and resolve.

Apart from that, this is not a trivial one to solve and it has to be looked at for every case separately. My personal opinion is that it can't be avoided completely.

For what concerns me, WoW has always been codewise a playground and a place to learn for me. I do want to contribute back what I've taken, so anyone should feel free to use my WoW related code to their liking without my prior permission (I probably should add licenses to express this explicitly). I simply don't see any harm in it, only benefit. The only issue would be if their users come to me asking for support for code that is not from me. However this could also be a part of the license - if you modify, change the name and don't mention me :) I don't care about getting credited.

I'm happy this way, I learned a ton, and I was fortunate enough to be able to contribute to some projects with people I grew to like and respect. Being able to share code with others is the greatest opportunity to learn, either by teaching them or by getting their criticism. Maybe you could take some of this approach and adapt to your liking :)

Kkthnx 07-26-17 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainrider (Post 324355)
Actually you didn't make any point but kept ranting even after it was pointed out to you. Ketho made your point because he/she supported your claims with evidence. Now it is up to the mods to evaluate and resolve.

Apart from that, this is not a trivial one to solve and it has to be looked at for every case separately. My personal opinion is that it can't be avoided completely.

For what concerns me, WoW has always been codewise a playground and a place to learn for me. I do want to contribute back what I've taken, so anyone should feel free to use my WoW related code to their liking without my prior permission (I probably should add licenses to express this explicitly). I simply don't see any harm in it, only benefit. The only issue would be if their users come to me asking for support for code that is not from me. However this could also be a part of the license - if you modify, change the name and don't mention me :) I don't care about getting credited.

I'm happy this way, I learned a ton, and I was fortunate enough to be able to contribute to some projects with people I grew to like and respect. Being able to share code with others is the greatest opportunity to learn, either by teaching them or by getting their criticism. Maybe you could take some of this approach and adapt to your liking :)

I agree 100% with everything you just said, honestly I really do. WoWI is honestly the only place to come and ask for support and learn at the same time. To be honest this the only place like its kind.

Rainrider 07-26-17 08:00 AM

Actually, I wrote, and I meant, WoW as a whole, not WoWI in particular. And, excuse me if I get a bit too passionate about this, but after reading community provided documentation, getting answers from a community and using an openly provided code as a reference, what is the point of ranting about people doing the same on the very same community site?

Kkthnx 07-26-17 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainrider (Post 324361)
Actually, I wrote, and I meant, WoW as a whole, not WoWI in particular. And, excuse me if I get a bit too passionate about this, but after reading community provided documentation, getting answers from a community and using an openly provided code as a reference, what is the point of ranting about people doing the same on the very same community site?

My whole point was people doing what is not allowed which is fan updating add-ons (Which seems to happen a lot) without properly provided permission over it for [ARR]. I encourage people to rip other peoples code and learn from it. Plus it is fun. See as how one person approaches one thing versus how you do it can come handy in a new way of you learning how to code/write it.

I didn't mean to come off as open source community provided code because honestly trying and willing ARRing something you provide to someone to help them would just be dumb.