WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Help/Support (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   random freezing in lfr (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52322)

Tweeker 05-19-15 11:06 AM

random freezing in lfr

I was in a LFR today... addon changes made before entering was, replaced DBM and Recount with BigWigs and Skada..

I experienced multiple lengthy lag spikes, which would freeze everything.. for a good 5-8 seconds.

So in between bosses, i swapped out BigWigs & Skada for Recount and <DBM>..

It fixed the lag spikes and freeze ups.

Now before we do the usual, which is... assume I am slandering anyone or anything, I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

If so, what was the primary cause?

Petrah 05-19-15 12:53 PM

I've been reading a lot of posts like this lately and I don't think this is specific to just the addons you've mentioned.

As painful as it is, it's good to do a complete reset (deleting saved variables) of addons once in awhile.

semlar 05-19-15 01:05 PM

I have players in my raid who consistently experience lag spikes when anyone is using the gamon or millhouse costume.

I've suspected DBM because it monitors monster yells (which the costumes periodically produce), and honestly Recount has been a lost cause for a while now, but I've never been able to pinpoint the problem.

Resike 05-19-15 05:15 PM

I would suspect BigWings more, due the lot of updates recently.

semlar 05-19-15 05:44 PM

Oh I see, he was lagging with bigwigs and skada.

I don't use skada, but I do use bigwigs without incident. Every addon listed is used by a large enough number of people that I would expect there to be other reports if this is a common problem.

There could be an interaction with other addons you're running, it could be an issue involving your saved variables, or it could be a complete coincidence because there are a huge number of variables outside of changing those addons when you enter a boss fight in LFR that aren't being accounted for.

You need to determine if it's consistently reproducible, and if so you should disable one or the other and see if it continues to happen.

Seerah 05-19-15 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resike (Post 308875)
I would suspect BigWings more, due the lot of updates recenty.

:confused: BigWigs gets LOTS of updates and has several active authors handling it.
/edit: my mistake - I read that as "lack" instead of "lot" >< The changes may be found here: http://www.wowace.com/addons/big-wig...13158-release/ But I haven't seen any other complaints about BigWigs lately.

@Tweeker: it may have something to do with default settings in Skada. Perhaps your system requires you to tweak something.

Rilgamon 05-20-15 12:48 AM

Any lua errors ?

Lags might be caused through addons tainting each other.
Skada for example leaks "_" as a global in its current version. This might interact with another addon doing so.

Dorwido 05-20-15 07:15 AM

I use Bigwigs and Recount without any problems.

If it happens regulary you could try an addon like:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ddonUsage.html

Would read the whole description to understand some caveats like the shared library thing.

Tweeker 05-20-15 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 308871)
I've been reading a lot of posts like this lately and I don't think this is specific to just the addons you've mentioned.

As painful as it is, it's good to do a complete reset (deleting saved variables) of addons once in awhile.

Yes this was happening after a clean fresh install

Tweeker 05-20-15 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semlar (Post 308873)
I have players in my raid who consistently experience lag spikes when anyone is using the gamon or millhouse costume.

I've suspected DBM because it monitors monster yells (which the costumes periodically produce), and honestly Recount has been a lost cause for a while now, but I've never been able to pinpoint the problem.

MillhouseMute (Sounds like good addon name)

Recount (Lost cause) ?? explain?

Tweeker 05-20-15 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semlar (Post 308876)
Oh I see, he was lagging with bigwigs and skada.

I don't use skada, but I do use bigwigs without incident. Every addon listed is used by a large enough number of people that I would expect there to be other reports if this is a common problem.

There could be an interaction with other addons you're running, it could be an issue involving your saved variables, or it could be a complete coincidence because there are a huge number of variables outside of changing those addons when you enter a boss fight in LFR that aren't being accounted for.

You need to determine if it's consistently reproducible, and if so you should disable one or the other and see if it continues to happen.

Yeah, i don't really know what caused the problem, only what caused the solution, and who knows... this could be the first of all those other posts :)

Tweeker 05-20-15 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rilgamon (Post 308878)
Any lua errors ?

Lags might be caused through addons tainting each other.
Skada for example leaks "_" as a global in its current version. This might interact with another addon doing so.

no lua errors.. none

Tweeker 05-20-15 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 308877)
:confused: BigWigs gets LOTS of updates and has several active authors handling it.
/edit: my mistake - I read that as "lack" instead of "lot" >< The changes may be found here: http://www.wowace.com/addons/big-wig...13158-release/ But I haven't seen any other complaints about BigWigs lately.

@Tweeker: it may have something to do with default settings in Skada. Perhaps your system requires you to tweak something.

Well, i just changed the font sizes and window scale from within the options, so i don't think i broke it :)

Tweeker 05-20-15 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorwido (Post 308879)
I use Bigwigs and Recount without any problems.

If it happens regulary you could try an addon like:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ddonUsage.html

Would read the whole description to understand some caveats like the shared library thing.

Thank you! I was ....jjjuuusssstt about to ask for an addon profiler

:banana:<<< EDIT AFTER DOWNLOADING ADDONUSAGE >>>

Bartender using THAT much cpu? wtf?

semlar 05-20-15 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweeker (Post 308883)
Recount (Lost cause) ?? explain?

As much as I like Recount, it's one of the only addons I've ever had to stop using because of performance problems.

Sometime toward the end of MoP or start of WoD I was forced to switch to another addon, which I didn't particularly want to do, because it was affecting my gameplay.

It's possible whatever was wrong with it has been fixed, but at this point I don't have any reason to go back to it.

Tweeker 05-20-15 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semlar (Post 308889)
As much as I like Recount, it's one of the only addons I've ever had to stop using because of performance problems.

Sometime toward the end of MoP or start of WoD I was forced to switch to another addon, which I didn't particularly want to do, because it was affecting my gameplay.

It's possible whatever was wrong with it has been fixed, but at this point I don't have any reason to go back to it.

I understand, thanks for the explanation

Resike 05-20-15 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semlar (Post 308889)

It's fixed.

Petrah 05-20-15 04:27 PM

Most people never bother to disable non raid/instance addons before going in. Use ACP to make raid/instance addon sets... takes 2 seconds to load a set and does not require a relog. Makes for a nice smooth lag free run.

Tweeker 05-20-15 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 308899)
Most people never bother to disable non raid/instance addons before going in. Use ACP to make raid/instance addon sets... takes 2 seconds to load a set and does not require a relog. Makes for a nice smooth lag free run.

Did that with stAddonManager

Dorwido 05-21-15 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweeker (Post 308887)
Thank you! I was ....jjjuuusssstt about to ask for an addon profiler

:banana:<<< EDIT AFTER DOWNLOADING ADDONUSAGE >>>

Bartender using THAT much cpu? wtf?

I dont use Bartender, but just had a look it uses quite some libraries and you should be aware of:

Quote:

A lot of addons share libraries of code. The "blame" for who owns that code isn't as clear cut. If you run many addons that share libraries, treat them all as one huge mass for overall troubleshooting purposes. If you disable one addon and a seemingly unrelated addon has suddenly taken up the former addon's share of work, it's likely the two were sharing a library and the first one may be blameless.
I would just run the profile while raiding (but be aware profile is quite some extra overhead) look at the number while no freeze happening and then compare it after a freeze happened, best would be even if you know when the freeze will come and reset it before it happens.