WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Released AddOns (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   [Spelling and Punctuation Addon] Linguistics (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44443)

Zoukan 09-20-12 08:50 PM

[Spelling and Punctuation Addon] Linguistics

Hi guys. I've been working on a great new addon in the last week of Cataclysm. I noticed a lot of Internet slang and poorly written sentences typed by players in WoW. This addon is going to solve it. For now, it only fixes your English.
Quote:

Linguistics v1.0 [English]

Linguistics is an addon that improves your English. It modifies the text you type into proper, neat English with correct punctuation. It removes Internet slang and abbreviations and corrects common misspelled words. This addon makes use of a database that's created from scratch by the author. With over 250 entries and still growing.

Below a few examples of what this addon does.
Quote:

"lol r u srsly gonna role a belf?"
Changes into: "Haha, are you seriously going to role a Blood Elf?"
Quote:

"lf1m for ds /w achiev for inv"
Changes into: "Looking for one more for Dragon Soul whisper achievement for invite."
The addon has a fully functional control panel in game. You can browse to it by opening the Interface Options or by typing /ling or /linguistics.

Upcoming features and known bugs [Patch 5.0.5]
- When linking items or spells all filters are ignored. This will be fixed later this year.
- I want to add an option to filter text from other players, client-sided of course.
Downloadable on Curse:
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/linguistics
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...nguistics.html

Feel free to leave me any feedback or comments!

10leej 09-20-12 09:44 PM

This remind me of an older addon I loved to use called Pirate Speak (or pSpeak can't remember) where it translated everything you said into pirate.

UrbanArmitage 09-21-12 12:59 AM

I think this is a great idea, and I support your view of correcting all the l33tspeak and internet abbreviations. It's quite scary the way that the English language gets mangled on occasion. :mad:

Seerah 09-21-12 11:03 AM

I think there's a difference between when you are doing it for fun and not taking yourself seriously and when you actually think that that's the way you should be talking or spelling things.

SDPhantom 09-21-12 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoukan (Post 264660)
"lol r u srsly gonna role a belf?"
Changes into: "Haha, are you seriously going to role a Blood Elf?"

This is supposed to be "roll", not "role". It's a reference to "rolling up a character" in D&D and other pen and paper RPGs. This is when you create a new character and literally roll dice to determine what stats they get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanArmitage (Post 264672)
I think this is a great idea, and I support your view of correcting all the l33tspeak and internet abbreviations. It's quite scary the way that the English language gets mangled on occasion. :mad:

Leetspeek was originally ment to be confusing to understand in a way to pass messages along in secret. Codes and slang have been used in this way in many languages all throughout history.

Later, the imposed message length limit of texting when introduced with cell phones made the shorter transitions of leetspeak more widely used as a necessity. I would suppose people type the way they do out of habit and not as much to be "cool".

Torhal 09-24-12 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDPhantom (Post 264714)
Later, the imposed message length limit of texting when introduced with cell phones made the shorter transitions of leetspeak more widely used as a necessity. I would suppose people type the way they do out of habit and not as much to be "cool".

And here I thought the whole reason was due to having to use numbers to type; typing "u" on a numpad is much easier than typing "you" is, for example. The typing "style" has, unfortunately, persisted long into the keyboard-on-a-phone days.

Phanx 09-24-12 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torhal (Post 264926)
And here I thought the whole reason was due to having to use numbers to type; typing "u" on a numpad is much easier than typing "you" is, for example. The typing "style" has, unfortunately, persisted long into the keyboard-on-a-phone days.

People need to get Swype if they're still typing anything on a phone. ;)

myrroddin 09-24-12 07:50 AM

Looks like Apple's iOS isn't supported by Swype. Might not be needed, however.

SDPhantom 09-24-12 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torhal (Post 264926)

Again, habit.

Phanx 09-24-12 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrroddin (Post 264953)
Looks like Apple's iOS isn't supported by Swype. Might not be needed, however.

I don't use an iPhone for the same reason I haven't enjoyed any other MMO (or really, any other game) besides WoW... not enough ability to customize the UI appearance and/or functionality.

Seerah 09-24-12 04:22 PM

I think you guys are way off-topic now. :p

myrroddin 09-25-12 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 264995)
I think you guys are way off-topic now. :p

So how about those Edmonton Oilers? Oh, wait, NHL lockout. Right. :p