View Single Post
11-29-08, 10:24 AM   #17
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
Wouldn't it be easier in the end to do the converting to ACE3 first, and then tackle the modular loading problem?

Well I don't know how this stuff works, but to me it sounds like converting to ACE3 is a huge change. So if you first make it modular, and then convert to ACE3, wouldn't you have to weed through the problems of modular loading again?

I think it would be easier in the end then if you would make it ACE3 first, and then tackle the modular problem straight in the ACE3 thingy.

That's just what I think it's like though, I could be incredibly wrong :P
in theory i would agree with you, and it could be in the end that the direction i am headed could result in more work.

i could, in fact, just branch everything several times and work on multiple things simultaneously... but i have done things that way before (not by choice), and IMO it causes more problems and eats up more time than it is worth.

i could also tell you all sorts of war-stories about teams that went ahead and jumped into a comprehensive/monolithic refactoring of a legacy codebase instead of doing things incrementally, preserving testability the whole way through...

users report bugs along the way, and production releases need to continue to flow, and etc. yes, this is just an addon for a game, but i am just one person, no-one to delegate things to, and i can't escape a "production support" mentality about even something like this (too many years of indoctrination ).

so, that means one major refactoring at a time, done in priority order (and slicing up Aloft in some form is more important to the users that an Ace3 port)... unless it proves to be infeasible.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"