View Single Post
05-04-09, 07:29 AM   #1138
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by protolif View Post
To all who will listen (or read anyway),

The problem isn't in dowloading one addon. It's when you have over 30, and you need something to speed that process up. If you can write a better app than WowMatrix, please be my guest. Until then, stop crying.
There have been several methods posted for dealing with many more addons than that. As a Linux user, you have much better scripting options available than most, making it even easier. Stop crying.

As a Linux user, I have no other viable option than WowMatrix. I've tried using the Curse Client via Wine, and it worked for 1 day, until they decided to create a Premium version, and now their popup ads (Forced to run in IE) crash the application, unless you upgrade to Premium. If they released a client that ran natively in my OS, I just might, but not until then.
Did you try Gecko? It's not perfect, but it works reasonably well. Also, expecting them to go to a lot of effort to write a client for an OS which World of Warcraft doesn't support is kind of silly, especially when that OS has roughly 1% of the user-base (This from a Linux-lover). When using Linux, you have to understand not everyone is going to support you. You will have to solve some things yourself.

Your anti-WowMatrix propaganda is something akin to the MPAA & RIAA's cries about the big bad internet pirates. QQ moar. The statement that WowMatrix causes additional stress on your servers on patch day is completely false. What it actually does, is delivers only content that users need, without all the images, flash ads, javascripts, and html code. If anything, it actually relieves stress from your servers. A few years ago, before there were updaters, sites like Curse and WowInterface would not load at all on patch day. You should be thankful.
Are you aware how a web-spider works? It fetches all of the html/java-script. This particular one does it fairly poorly generating more much more traffic than needed. Add to that, when a normal user browses, they generate ad revenue to help pay for the bandwidth WoWMatrix does not. When the WoWMatrix block went into place, WoWInterface's traffic went down 30%, Curse's 50%. Thats a pretty significant drop.

As for the patches when WoWInterface and Curse went offline those were because WoWMatrix was hammering their servers. Curse only had minor problems this patch day, and I didn't notice any on WoWI. By your theory, because WoWM was no longer able to pull, these sites should've been worse off not better.

As to developers rights, you only care because it serves your interests. Commercial addon development is a thing of the past. If you want to make money off World of Warcraft, go work for Blizzard. I believe in Open Source, and will no longer be using any addon that isn't distributed with one of the following liceneses: GPL. LGPL, BSD, MIT, Apache, Academic, Creative Commons, or Public Domain.
That's your choice, though it amuses me that you apparently feel so strongly about this, yet your getting all worked up over a proprietary game. Also you might want to read those BSD licenses carefully! Some variants are not OSS compatible!