View Single Post
05-08-09, 08:33 PM   #71
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
This is my take on the whole thing, whether people read it or not, this is how I feel and see it:

From what I've heard, WoWMatrix (I've never used it myself) makes installing and updating AddOns a breeze for the casual WoW user. However, the majority of their AddOns do not come from their own website or database, it's taken from WoWInterface.com and Curse.com's database instead. While this doesn't seem to matter to most people who use WoWMatrix, it matters to WoWI and Curse.

The reason why it matters is because WoWI and Curse have a huge database of AddOns which take up a lot of space. To host that space on the web costs (I imagine) a great deal of money. The founders and co-founders of these websites really don't want to and/or are unable to provide this cash from their own pockets, so they depend on Advertisements and Donations such as Premium subscriptions to help keep the websites and database servers alive.

So what this means is by using WoWMatrix, the user is avoiding these advertisements and not even considering subscribing to one of these websites to help them out. While we all can agree no one likes to see advertisements on anything, it helps out WoWI and Curse in ways you can't imagine. Without those advertisements, these websites would be shutdown by the end of the month, unless of course you subscribe then you don't need to see them, but you are still supporting the website because you did subscribe.

This is a similar reason to why I hear my friends say who don't play WoW that don't want to pay the $14.99/month subscription, because they think if they buy the game they shouldn't have to. I can't even imagine how much money Blizzard is pissing away to keep those servers running. Each server holds thousands of players (I don't know the exact count), and I can't imagine how much one server would cost to host in a year, probably more money than I can make in 3 years. It's non-sense, Blizzard needs a subscription to keep the servers and websites alive.

WoWI and Curse need subscriptions, donations, and advertisements to keep their websites alive, too. If you download from WoWMatrix and avoid those advertisements and subscriptions, then you are essentially stealing as far as I'm concerned. Argue with me on this if you want, I think Cairenn and Kaelten would agree with me.

That is my two-cents on the matter. That's how I feel, whether you agree or not, doesn't matter. Just saying this is what I see.

P.S. Sorry to go off topic a little, but about the WoW AddOn Policy thing... I think Blizzard did this to protect themselves. They have seen a rise in scams, hacks, and account compromises and I think they are concerned people maybe getting scammed via AddOn. They can't exclude or single out anyone, so they've made it so you cannot advertise for donations in-game for this reason. They're not after your dollar, in fact they specifically said you can advertise for donations on 3rd party websites such as WoWI and Curse, which I think WoWI has done a generous and remarkable job supporting, but just don't advertise in-game.

Honestly, think about this for a minute, do you really believe that Blizzard is money hungry, cigar smoking, laughing, evil corporate swines? The same people who brought you this fantastic game in the first place? Seriously think about this logically.