View Single Post
10-22-09, 06:22 AM   #12
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ffxiedyn View Post
Lykofos, do you run WoW in Linux too? hubby has tried to use Ubunto, but when trying to install WoW via Wine, it just does not preform well.

If you do run WoW in linux, could you tell me how you solved this issue?
First of all, you need the latest version of Wine.

Then you need to change WoW's config to use OpenGL rather than Direct3D. Add this to config.wtf (open with a text editor, I like SciTE for this):

Code:
SET gxApi "opengl"
There some other tweaks you can do. Check the World of Warcraft in Ubuntu's Community Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

The other thing is you need the latest version of your GFX card's drivers. If you have a NVIDIA card, you usually will have the latest version by default if you let Ubuntu auto update. However if you have an ATI card, you may run into issues. Essentially if your ATI GFX card uses a GPU older than the R500 series, you are out of luck.

ATI's driver support for pre R600 cards stinks and does not support 3d models (such as those used in WoW) every well if at all. I have this issue myself. R600 and new GPUs are supported with ATI's fglrx/Catalyst drivers and the FOSS RadeonHD (which are built by Novell sponsored by AMD/ATIm support 3d modeling for R500 and R600 series GPUs). For 3d gaming, you are better off using the fglrx/Catalyst drivers as the RadeonHD drivers are still a work in progress.

Other than the driver issue, WoW does work rather will under Linux and some users have reported WoW to be faster and more responsive under Linux. It does help that WoW was natively designed to use OpenGL (as it does on OS X) and there is a very active community to support WoW on Linux. The only major that has arisen was a mistake on Blizzard's part (Blizz banned some accounts of Linux users by mistake. The accounts in question were restored). There is no official Blizzard support for WoW on Linux, however the WoW fan community as well as the Ubuntu community have undertaken this themselves.

You do not need CrossOver or other third party, for pay Windows api/emulators, Wine will take care your needs quite nicely.

Guild Wars (another MMO I play) also has excellent Linux support (with information on the official Guild Wars Wiki).

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-22-09 at 06:28 AM.