View Single Post
11-10-09, 11:19 PM   #23
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by coz752 View Post
oe. awesome feedback.
Well, here is the thing. I know blizz wont like it if people try and make money out of their game, and i cant blame them however up to this point i only thoroughly glanced at the eula you see as player and never took the time to look up the eula surrounding addons.

Cool, if that's the rules of the game, understandable.
but im not giving up quite easy tho ;p

hypothetically, what about semi-linked things
example you have a nice clear standalone addon, (its not it, but as plausible example that you can relate to) for example a dkp addon .
it also features a export button that writes the log to file or a window that you can copy paste from.
you on the other hand also supply a website (but 'forget' to advertise that in the actual addon) where ppl can interact (no ofc not live interaction with the game, lol) with the data you get from the addon, and this website is not critical to the addon, it wont break the rules of the addon, but they just fit snug together. and you make the website free/donation based for basic usability. but maybe a small fee for an extended, more feature based version.

from what i can tell, it is possible, but for some strange reason it hasn't been done - afaik.
Here is where that part of the plan falls through.

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.
So in the end you cannot have a for pay section of your website that offers additional services or functionality that is related to the addon. Even if it simply parsing the data more thoroughly.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor