View Single Post
12-06-09, 10:16 AM   #39
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by archaica View Post
my point is that the tools are not working for XP users. the tools are required to download the patch. once the patch goes live, users cannot log in without updating their game.
You can bypass the Background downloader by opening the Background.torrent torrent file in the cache folder in the wow folder in a torrent client. That's one solution off the top of my head.

There's a few other solutions but they are pretty much all player supplied IE Unofficial and not sanctioned by Blizzard

How many Blizzard players use the XP operating system ? I would expect to see a lot more threads in the Official forums if it really wasn't working for all XP users like you state.

Regardless this still means the blizzard tools not downloading the pre patch data is a separate issue and not one relevant to this thread. There is a thread about the pre patch download that I have written btw.

They can fix the tools independently of the 3.3 patch.

blizzard has known about this for weeks and has not bothered to address or resolve the issue beyond the fact that we were told not to worry as it was only the prepatch data and the actual release was still quite some time away.
I've seen a few posts on the Tech support forums for the US realms with resolutions. I also see a few blizzard reps assisting those that are having trouble. I've so only found 2 thread about it in the first 5 pages - all chock full of player supplied solutions.

If the issue really was as bad as you think there would be way more threads about it then there already is. I don't believe that Blizzard is ignoring this problem or that none of the reps are helping people. Just that they probably have way too many threads to answer that relate to the Live realms so they choose their battle carefully.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 12-06-09 at 10:37 AM.