Thread: Cirk's Fastcast
View Single Post
03-27-06, 12:53 AM   #24
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hi Graguk! Lots of questions, I'll try and answer them as best I can (in reverse order no less )

Originally Posted by Graguk
If the intention of this check was to allow people to include SpellStopCasting() in a macro for a different spell, I thought FastCast only worked on the 2nd press of any given button?

ie Lets say I'm a mage, and I'm chain casting Frost Bolt on a player. I suddenly see another player that I want to counterspell, while still channeling my frost bolt, I target the new player and hit my macro for SpellStopCasting(), Counterspell. Since this is a different button to the one I was already casting, wouldn't it run anyway and interupt my frost bolt to cast counterspell?
Fastcast doesn't restrict you to only preventing interruptions on the same spell cast, since that would prevent you from doing combinations of different spells (e.g., Fireball, Scorch, Scorch, Fireblast), so without recognizing that the new request is a macro, Fastcast wouldn't allow it to happen until the cutoff time for the current spell had been reached.

The exception for this is of course for channeled spells, where any other key press we consider as an interruption for the channeled spell.

If I were to remove the checks for "not isMacro" from lines 486 and 501, would that allow me to get the benefit from your addon for my macros? Looks like it should work, although I'm not certain I need to remove it from both lines..
Yes that would allow you to have Fastcast treat your macros the same way that it treats non-macro spells, which would mean that you couldn't do any macro action while a spell was being cast (e.g., you wouldn't be able to do that Counterspell macro for example - you'd have to move first to interrupt your current spellcast, then do the macro). That would also mean that non-casting macros would also not work while you were casting. (This was the problem that Channelcast 1.9.1beta had).

Now, I use a ToEP and Shadow Bolt macro, and would still like to use it in conjunction with your addon to get the full benefit from it.
Ok, if I understand what you are after here, you want a single macro that you can use that will trigger ToEP if it is ready and then cast, or otherwise just cast your bolt spell, and you want to be able to fast-cast that macro just like it was a normal spell?

There are a couple of problems for Fastcast with this, the primary one being that if a macro is triggering multiple actions (non-global-cooldown instants, trinkets, etc.) then Fastcast can get confused as to what its state is when casting begins (since before the SPELLCAST_START message arrives, it will get one or two or even three SPELLCAST_STOP messages, depending on what your macro is doing and whether the previous spellcast was stopped early or not).

Also, the current approach allows you to (somewhat) stop spells from being fast-cast by putting them into a macro (although this isn't 100% a solution since if it is a simple macro that only casts that one spell, you can still fast-cast its last casting by starting a new cast).

So, whats to be done? Well, all I can think of right now is that maybe I could provide some functions that you could call in your macro to try and adjust Fastcast's state in such a way that it will allow you to do what you are after here. I'll have a ponder, and see what I can come up with.

Cheers,
-- Cirk