View Single Post
07-20-11, 04:43 PM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Some ideas I've been toying with.

I'm not sure if any of you recognise the feeling, but sometimes I get this sudden rush of inspiration for making something completely original and awesomely sounding, but I'm almost entirely sure that it's way beyond what I can do or it won't turn out as good as it sounds on paper.

Two addon ideas in particular have been crossing my mind a lot lately, and I've been coding some of the foundations, but neither of them are anywhere near a state of being screenshot-worthy.

The first one kind of started out as an idea for an April's Fools prank for my UI users, but then I started to think it was kind of neat. The idea is to make an in-game lua-coded operating system, based on iOS, that would let you run several lua 'apps', such as a notepad, a calculator, an alt tracker, a 'social networking' app that would scan your friends list, guild etc for people using the same addon (though I am absolutely not even close to near enough downloads for that ), tips, FAQ, etc. All these functions would be accessible from a window with app-like icons in them. It'd be called FreeOS, or something.

The second idea is more recent. I thought of a sort of 'splash screen' for the UI, that would (if turned on) show you a welcome screen upon login. There'd be a tip of the day, upcoming calendar events, personal notes, etc. It would also - this is the main focus - suggest things for you to do in WoW based on your preferred activites (raiding, pvp, questing, achievements, roleplaying, ...). On Wednesdays, raiders would be suggested to find a BH group, PvPers would be informed of the TB weekly and conquest cap resetting, etc. Achievement hunters would be informed of holiday events, role-players would be suggested whether or not to look for RP depending on the day of the week etc.

--

I know these ideas are crazy, but that's why I like them. What do you think? Utterly useless? Awesome? Let's hear it, and if you've ever had similar weird ideas, feel free to share.