View Single Post
12-16-13, 01:16 PM   #41
Kestrelon
A Murloc Raider
Affluenza...seems to be spreading

This is a direct quote from the Announcement made by Cairenn concerning the removal of nUI, which I believe raises an interesting point.

"...All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on..."

That said, ladies and gentlemen, I offer you the following link;

http://www.wowinterface.com/premium.php

And there you have it. Directly from this very website...a PREMIUM service that can be paid for in 3-month, 6-month, or annual increments. Someone please tell me how nUI author K. Scott Piel and WoWInterface are different from each other in ANY way, given what that link will show you?

I quote again; All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Scott does that, as he has said many, MANY times. So does WoWInterface. You can use either one absolutely free for as long as you like. If you CHOOSE to offer money, whether in the form of a donation to a cause (nUI) or in payment for a service (WoWInterface), then it's exactly that...your choice!

I have been a loyal supporter of both nUI and WoWInterface for many years now, and this whole situation stinks to high heaven. At long last, someone with the dedication, passion, and skill to code a functional, useful collection of addons for WoW comes along, puts together a fantastic community of players, and now he's being treated like a tyrant simply because he isn't willing to deal with rude, demanding, selfish asshats (sorry Scott; love the term...had to borrow it! ) who think they deserve something for nothing?

I've spent the last few hours reading over the comments posted in various places about this issue and every single one of them is laced with hypocrisy...in SPADES! Scott has stated over and over and over again that people can still get nUI for free by several different methods, yet no one has bothered to mention that WoWInterface itself offers their Premium service at a fee? How is this not violating their own rules?!? I'll paraphrase here from the above quote, so there's no confusion;

"...may not...charge money to download an add-on..."
Hmm...let's see...yep, there it is! $29.99 annually, $17.95 every 6 months, or $9.99 a month for WoWInterface Premium!

"...charge for services related to the add-on..."
Oh wow...can you believe it?!? There it is again! $29.99 annually, $17.95 every 6 months, or $9.99 a month for WoWInterface Premium!

"...or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on..."
Woohoo! Three for three! $29.99 annually, $17.95 every 6 months, or $9.99 a month for WoWInterface Premium!

Now then, let's list the free options for nUI, since a great many folks don't seem to know how to read;

#1 - You can contact Scott directly via email and demonstrate how you've made a commitment to the nUI community by donation (which is 100% optional) or by direct assistance with coding, bug fixes, bug reporting, upgrades or suggestions, etc etc etc.

#2 - You can get a direct referral from another nUI user who has demonstrated their commitment to the nUI community. When another respected nUI community member sponsors you, you may access nUI downloads and support for free. (*This is an exact quote from the email Scott sent out to all nUI members.)

So...do you have to spend money to continue using nUI? No...you don't. Do you have to spend money to continue using WoWInterface? No...you don't. Can you choose to do either one? Absolutely. The moral of the story here is this; stop blasting Scott and accusing him of violating the rules when both of the major addon websites on the internet are making money hand over fist in the exact same way you're banning him for!!!

As for those folks (see also, "asshats") who seem to think they deserve everything about nUI in exchange for insults, explitives, lazy spelling, and horrid grammar? I cordially invite you to bend over, grab both ankles, and repeatedly back into the nearest doorknob...squat on a cactus...take a flying leap at a rolling doughnut on a gravel driveway...whatever might float your boat.

To K. Scott Piel himself, a single piece of advice; the "DELETE" button is your best friend!

Slainte!

::climbs down off soapbox and wanders back into the woods for some peace and quiet::