View Single Post
05-11-09, 11:58 AM   #127
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I never used WM and got no idea of what exactly they were changing in addon code, but from a typical user perspective I don't see them putting temporary fixes into the code as a bad idea. Sometimes I like the addon and want to play as soon as patch hits, login and see that it is broken - having some lua knowledge I would either fix error myself or if I can't figure out cause of it quickly i'd just supress/comment it out to allow mod to work to some degree.

Sometimes my guildies ask me to check if I can fix some addon they use since they like it and addon author is being lazy with a release even weeks after patch.

Now if WM does it for it's users I seriously see no harm in such actions, only benefits to it's end users (excepet that there shall be a warning about workaround implemented).

btw I'm living in a country where stupid US copyright law doesn't apply and it is actually allowed to reverse/disassemble soft to fix the bugs/resolve compatibility issues here, so what they did is even legal here (no idea where WM is hosted)