View Single Post
08-24-17, 09:56 PM   #6
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kkthnx View Post
In today's world freedom of speech is a thing of the past.
Not to derail this thread, but freedom of speech isn't, and has never been, a basic right. Water, air, shelter, food, those are basic rights. Freedom of speech is a political construct whose only purpose is a promise from a person's government that they will not be punished in any way for what a person says. Outside of a government system, freedom of speech means nothing.

If I say some nasty things to the president in public, nothing happens to me. If I say nasty things to you, here, in the forum, I'll get rightfully banned. The former is me exercising my freedom of speech, the latter is the forum exercising their right to clean up their private space. The forum is not restricting my right to free speech, because it doesn't exist here.

Freedom of speech is not a thing of the past. It is alive and well and still holding strong in the US, and in most of the first world, I assume. Private citizens have never had an obligation to protect the free speech of others, only those in power.

On topic, Mortimerlol's freedom of speech was not compromised. They said some nasty things in a private space and were rightfully removed. I'm sure there's other rights they may end up using if law enforcement gets involved due to the threats.