View Single Post
01-10-18, 07:24 PM   #44
aallkkaa
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thank you for your reply, Seerah.
I was however already aware of what you said. Funny though, it made the thoughts clearer in my mind - I don't know how you did that, but thank you!

So, I guess my real question should rather be: What would be the cons, if any, of upvalueing those global functions?
I now recall that, on the thread which brought me to this one, there was a link to another thread, specifically on upvalueing, so I guess I'll have a look at that when I get some time. If I still have questions about this snippet afterwards, I'll post them back here.

P.s.: Your comment about the single-threaded nature of Lua wasn't exactly new to me, but, honestly, I had presumed it rather than properly looked into it. I'm not in the ITC industry (never was) but codeing has been a hobby of mine since I was about 15 (back then mainly in plain C), over 25 years now. And to be honest, the multi-threading technology was never something I fully understood (nor dived much into), codeing-wise.
The way I see it, even something like Lua coroutines is only a sequential pause-this-thread, then jump-to-another, then back-to-the-first (at the simplest case of only two "coroutines").
I can understand event-driven programming and have a shallow understanding of CPU IRQs as well, so I have a vague idea on how two (or more) cores CPUs work together.
But again, it's only a vague understanding of it, and as far I remember, I've never actually done any programming that wasn't, in my mind, "single-threaded".
I guess I could have started a new topic about this but I fear I would quickly loose the "thread" of it in the ensueing discussion, so I'm just dropping this here now.